Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

I see the appeal in bringing in an Indiana guy, but it may be hard to find a coach that is all around considered "ideal."

I realize it is outlandish, but I would love for us to make a run at Shaka Smart if Tom Crean were to go. Other candidates I would like include: Josh Pastner, Bryce Drew, Greg Marshall, Greg McDermott, Tony Benett, Bruce Peal. None of these names are probable or may be good "fits."

Perhaps someone better informed on IU basketball could make a better list.

Discuss... 

I think a darkhorse to land a major job sometime soon is Greg Lansing at Indiana State. Not saying we should/would go after him, but he could move up pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wouldn't be opposed to that hire. Ideally the new coach would be someone that has connections to the state of Indiana/midwest recruiting circuits and Lansing would probably offer that. 

Brad Stephens is the only one I want. Keep Crean for a few more seasons until we can get an idea of Stephens interest. By that time we'll know if Stephens has a desire to return to college or wants to remain in the NBA.

Are you willing to ride out two or three more years of Crean just to gauge Stephen's interest? We have to be very careful to not let ourselves fall back into a pit of irrelevancy like we were in during the Davis years

Are you willing to ride out two or three more years of Crean just to gauge Stephen's interest? We have to be very careful to not let ourselves fall back into a pit of irrelevancy like we were in during the Davis years

Well we know we're going to have 1 more season of Crean and I'm guessing another following that unless Crean can't make the tourney again next year. Thats 2 years right there and probably enough time for Stevens to know what he wants (either NBA or college) and IU to gauge his interest. Short answer: Yes I am willing to wait for Stevens.

I see the appeal in bringing in an Indiana guy, but it may be hard to find a coach that is all around considered "ideal."

I realize it is outlandish, but I would love for us to make a run at Shaka Smart if Tom Crean were to go. Other candidates I would like include: Josh Pastner, Bryce Drew, Greg Marshall, Greg McDermott, Tony Benett, Bruce Peal. None of these names are probable or may be good "fits."

Perhaps someone better informed on IU basketball could make a better list.

Discuss... 

Bruce Pearl? Seriously? Is Kelvin Sampson not available? lol

In all seriousness, the names I like best from your list are Marshall and Bennett if a change is necessary. What I would really prefer is for Crean to come back strong and improve the areas that have been hashed out all season long.

[quote name="CottageGrove" post="48325" timestamp="1394997213"]Bruce Pearl? Seriously? Is Kelvin Sampson not available? lol

In all seriousness, the names I like best from your list are Marshall and Bennett if a change is necessary. What I would really prefer is for Crean to come back strong and improve the areas that have been hashed out all season long.[/quote]

Pearls incident wasn't near as bad as Sampson

Bruce Pearl? Seriously? Is Kelvin Sampson not available? lol

In all seriousness, the names I like best from your list are Marshall and Bennett if a change is necessary. What I would really prefer is for Crean to come back strong and improve the areas that have been hashed out all season long.

Yea, with Bennett having just won the ACC not sure how realistic he is. I guess it depends on what he has coming back. But he would definitely be a great option, hes a proven winner. Have to imagine he wouldn't mind getting out of the ACC as going against Duke, UNC, Syracuse and more has to be draining. 

Marshall I would also love, as he went to a final four last year and is undefeated this year. I don't much else about him otherwise, is he a lifer at Wichita State like presumably Mark Few is at Zaga? Or would he be willing to climb?

Bennett. That team is so fundamentally sound on both ends of the court. Dude has done a good job building some programs at schools that you wouldn't expect to be easy to build good programs at. 

Dane Fife. I know some people want someone with experience to come in and run the team, because they keep talking about how great the program is and that would prevent a "green guy" from succeeding here. I don't buy that, for one I don't see the program as one of the great programs in college basketball right now. One of the most historic yep, one of the great programs no. Dane Fife did a hell of a job in a small stint at IPFW, and now is coaching with one of the best coaches out there in Izzo.

Stevens. Not going to happen anytime soon, honestly believe that. Don't see him jumping ship and leaving all the money he his making on the table. Maybe if in two or three years if we still haven't made progress with Crean we send some fellers out Brad's way to gauge his how much he would want to be here

Just spitballin, but aren't a lot of UF's contributors seniors? Making a run at Billy Donovan would be sweet. You gotta think he at least has some interest in leaving Gainesville based on his flirtation with the Magic a few years back. 

KingPG21, I really really like the idea of Dan Fife and agree that breaking in a top assistant might not be a bad thing. If it were the right guy, I could get behind that. 

That wasn't the point. The point is that IU will not, in any way, consider a guy with violation-related baggage for a long time. Pearl's show cause fits the definition.

Yea, I guess that makes sense. No reason to stick your neck out on the line. 

Bennett, smart, marshall, Stevens, maybe even Calbert in 3-4 years. CC is revered in basketball circles. Recruits would love him. Definitely a player coach.

I have admittedly not been an Indiana fan long, but I think Hoosiers may spontaneously combust if CC ever came here. I for one would definitely not want him

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="48334" timestamp="1394997875"]Just spitballin, but aren't a lot of UF's contributors seniors? Making a run at Billy Donovan would be sweet. You gotta think he at least has some interest in leaving Gainesville based on his flirtation with the Magic a few years back.

KingPG21, I really really like the idea of Dan Fife and agree that breaking in a top assistant might not be a bad thing. If it were the right guy, I could get behind that. [/quote]

I LOVE Billy Donovan. Seriously, if I had to choose one college coach in America to come here, it would be Donovan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Bennett didn't want the job the first time.

Really? Thats upsetting to hear. Any speculation as to why? Maybe more of a timing reason than a fundamentally-opposed to Indiana one? He would be an excellent hire for sure. 

I think more people ought to consider Josh Pastner. When he took over at Memphis he was the youngest CBB coach. His record has been pretty good and he made the program a lot more "clean" than when Cal was in charge. He wouldn't be a bad choice though I am unsure of if he could take IU to the next level or just be more of what we have seen from Crean

Bennett didn't want the job the first time.

I thought the issue was he tried to get more money in his contract and that was the issue. Though looking at some of the money involved in Crean's current contract I'd want to see what Bennett was asking for