Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

Just finished up "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck, it was a good read on human nature.

Downloading "The Dig" by Brad Taylor which is the #1.5 in the Pike Logan series. The first book was awesome if you like BAMF finding their way out of sticking situations and killing a lot if mofos.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On June 4, 2016 at 11:28 AM, mdn82 said:

Read Howard Zinn's "A people's History of the United States" if you enjoy history.

I strongly second this but only if you have a strong foundation in History. The book offers a very limited viewpoint on history. Zinn even freely admits this.  

I finished the Bill Hodges Trilogy by Stephen King yesterday. "Mr Mercedes", "Finders Keepers", and "End of Watch".  All pretty good on their own.  Highly recommend the series as a whole however.  It focuses on a retired detective who is trying to solve a crime that occurred right before he retired.  Good stuff.

Just finished up "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck, it was a good read on human nature.

Downloading "The Dig" by Brad Taylor which is the #1.5 in the Pike Logan series. The first book was awesome if you like BAMF finding their way out of sticking situations and killing a lot if mofos.

Found out on Father's Day there is a movie "The Good Earth" made after the book.

Finished "The Dig" and it was excellent! Off to "All Necessary Force" by Brad Taylor now.

Edit: There is a half price book store in Louisville that is stupid cheap. They also buy books if you're interested in selling.

Completed "All Necessary Force" this past week. It centered around terrorist trying to take down the power grid while the Taskforce tracks down terrorist, homegrown and foreign. Highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys the high speed clandestine world of good guys chasing bad guys.

I'm taking a break from the series while waiting for Enemy of Mine to arrive. I'm going to try and reread The Lost Symbol and then Inferno before the movie is released in October.

41 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Completed "All Necessary Force" this past week. It centered around terrorist trying to take down the power grid while the Taskforce tracks down terrorist, homegrown and foreign. Highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys the high speed clandestine world of good guys chasing bad guys.

I'm taking a break from the series while waiting for Enemy of Mine to arrive. I'm going to try and reread The Lost Symbol and then Inferno before the movie is released in October.

What a coincidence!  I too just finished up "All Necessary Force" and started on "Gone Tomorrow" in the Jack Reacher series.  I'm alternating between Logan and Reacher although I prefer Lee Childs' writing over Brad Taylor's.

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

What a coincidence!  I too just finished up "All Necessary Force" and started on "Gone Tomorrow" in the Jack Reacher series.  I'm alternating between Logan and Reacher although I prefer Lee Childs' writing over Brad Taylor's.

Gone Tomorrow is a good book, although to be fair every book in the Reacher series is a good one.  I'm a big fan of the series.

I heard the next Jack Reacher movie is based on the book Never Go Back.  On the one hand, it's another Reacher movie so yay.  On the other hand, we get to see Tom Cruise try to convincingly play a behemoth like Jack Reacher while being slightly tall for a hobbit, on a good day, on a stack of phone books, on Oprah's couch.

I rarely read when I'm able to surf, golf, or just be outdoors. I'm far from an intellect and prefer the basic writing style of Taylor.

50 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Gone Tomorrow is a good book, although to be fair every book in the Reacher series is a good one.  I'm a big fan of the series.

I heard the next Jack Reacher movie is based on the book Never Go Back.  On the one hand, it's another Reacher movie so yay.  On the other hand, we get to see Tom Cruise try to convincingly play a behemoth like Jack Reacher while being slightly tall for a hobbit, on a good day, on a stack of phone books, on Oprah's couch.

Leave it to Hollywood casting Munchkin Cruise as Jack Reacher. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

image.png

I've spent most of my days this summer in the Bloominton Barnes & Noble studying for the LSAT and this is the 4th time I've seen Coach Crean here in about two weeks. I wonder what books are on his to-read list. 

That looks like a pic from him watching a practice photoshopped into the bookstore.

image.png

I've spent most of my days this summer in the Bloominton Barnes & Noble studying for the LSAT and this is the 4th time I've seen Coach Crean here in about two weeks. I wonder what books are on his to-read list. 

Lots of low hanging fruit jokes here. I'm going to desist. I'm on the Crean Train. Choo Choo!

Hoping I can stay aboard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners