Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Str8Hoosiers

Court Rushing Etiquette

So it is the obvious elephant in the room. It is all over FB, Twitter, and the different threads on BTOWN Banners..... so what do you think about it?

I used to think (and maybe still do) that we as IU should rarely to never storm the court. We have 5 banners, we have history, we are a storied program. Nothing short of a NC should create a court storming for us....

But more recently I am begining to be swayed.... I love the fire in Coach Crean, I want that fire in our players, I want that fire in our fans.... so when we as fans bust our butts so much so as Crean tells us he needs us to be starters and not 6th men then why would we expect the energy to immediately dissapate as soon as we win a big game?

A big win is a big win regardless of what you have done before. Why not celebrate it? I have seen this a few places now but why not rush the court after every single home victory.... why not let the team know we love them, why not let the fans show how passionate we are for our Hoosiers?

To be honest I am probably squarely on the fence as of this point.... sway me one way or another?

With all due respect, I can not believe we are wasting on second discussing this. But ok here it goes.

Folks, sports is just entertainment. Nothing more. I agree with Dakich last night when he said you can't be cool and play sports. It's emotion, it's fun. So a bunch of college kids are having fun by rushing the floor and us old farts are offended. SO WHAT! You are suppose to enjoy life especially in college. I'm 44 and I wanted to storm the floor after the OSU game a couple of years ago.

Life is too short to go through it to worry about acting to cool for school. In the words of Frank Sinatra "Swing baby!"

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I believe that rushing the court shows that the fans are as passionate not only iver a big win but shows their love of our team and as long as it is aloud in the big 10 keep doing it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

It's more of a product of ESPN than anything. It's an experience college kids want to have. It's on bucket lists. It's here to stay so we might as well accept it.

I used to have a major issue with it, but now, I don't care anymore. Other programs (UK) can say what they want. If their students had as easy access to the court as Hoosiers do it would happen. Assembly Hall is the PERFECT storm for students to rush.

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="30153" timestamp="1389805566"]Also, to whichever Admin on the BtownBanners twitter page that posted the picture of Yogi in the crowd from Sportscenter: That was a fantastic picture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

That was me. And that was one if the main reasons my view on it changed.

I don't have a problem with storming the court; I started running from Indy after the last shot against Kentucky but only made it to my front door. But, it does need to be reserved for specific situations. Beating the #3 team by keeping them from making a final shot was not the right situation. Buzzer beaters against #1 teams or huge rivals only. Wisconsin doesn't deserve that kind of respect.

I think in the right game it makes sense.  Beating UW at home after being #1 last year is weak.  That UK game was the perfect example of when you should do it.  I don't think it should be a common occurrence.  If it is, that is like saying you never expect to win, but somehow do.  It was a great game.  I am glad the kids won that for themselves.  I agree with JS.  It was like the OSU game.  They weren't #1.  We won.  We built on that, but the kids didn't rush the court.

Save it for hardware.  You don't need to rush the court to have fun or celebrate a win.  UK I was okay with because the win was momentous, this wasn't.  It was a good win like when we beat OSU on New Year's Eve, the fans didn't rush the court after that game.

The students weren't there for that game. So you can't compare the two.

I'm not in favor of it, but I'm not going to let it take away from last night's win like some have posted here it did for them.  I'm glad we have a fan base that is that passionate.  Truthfully, I really don't care.  

It is so glorified on ESPN that I think kids will look for any excuse to do it.  I teach middle school.  Last year after a dodgeball game in the semi-finals of a school wide incentive for good behavior dodgeball tournament the entire 6th grade stormed the floor after the 6th grade champs defeated the 7th grade champs.  It was dumb, but they see it all the time on ESPN and they wanted to do it even though it was dumb.  

My point is kids don't always have the perspective older people do and I just don't get letting it take away from last night.  

Wisconsin doesn't deserve that kind of respect.

This. Beating a #1 undefeated rival after 3 years of basketball hell was completely worthy of a court storm. Beating a #3 team just one year after IU was Big Ten champs and a #1 seed? Not worthy. This isn't Iowa State. This is Indiana.

Now I'm not all up in arms about this or anything but I would prefer they don't storm in that situation.

We were ranked #1 or #2 then. Again, huge difference. 

We certainly were not.  It was the same year we beat UK.  We beat (15) Michigan at home, and (5) MSU at home.  Both were good wins and neither one resulted in a court rush.

As much as people want to spout off about the B1G title trying to defend Crean to all ends of the Earth, it works both ways.  We are defending B1G champs, don't rush the court just for a good win.