Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

Jeremy Hollowell.....

[quote name="TexanHoosier" post="30110" timestamp="1389796733"]I hate to be the one to say it but the rumors are looking more and more true. After not playing again last night, in a game that JH could have had a potential impact down the stretch makes me believe that there is something going on. [/quote]

What has he done this year that makes you think he could have had an "impact" on the game?

My team was on the floor. Give me Noah, Stan, Austin, Will, and Yogi and I'll play anyone. Would lose a few but people would know they were in a fight!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Rumors or not, JH's play on the court has deserved a benching. What has happened since then?

- Indiana wins two must win games
- AE steps up and plays solid minutes. Plays hard like he WANTS to stay out there.
- Stan had gotten increased minutes and has played his @$$ off. Not always making the smart play, but is adding value to this team
- The team is together and super focused.

Regardless of why he is out, good things have come from it which leads me to saying it's a good move. Look at how Noah and Yogi reacted to their benching last night. Coach Crean is taking control back of this team and it couldn't have happened any sooner.

Logged on to say the same thing. JH is on the bench because he's been bad at basketball. Every time he puts the ball on the floor something bad happens.

Troy Williams has turnover/shot selection issues as well and he ended up playing a total of 8 minutes after being a 30 mpg guy in the preseason.

Don't forget that Dakich said during the broadcast JH was sitting due to not playing the way the staff wants him to be playing.  Dakich said he loved it. 

Oh, if he's sitting Jeremy to hold him accountable I love it.  I'm just not sure if that's all it is.  I mean if he's performing poorly in practice too I can understand, but if he was that bad in practice why did he start so many games?

Are we really gonna buy Jeremy Hollowell sitting as the reason Indiana won the last two games?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Is it the only/biggest reason we've won the last 2 games? No

Is it a contributing factor to us winning? IMO Yes

I want JH to succeed and support him as long as he is on the team but I'm glad he's seeing the pine right now.

Are we really gonna buy Jeremy Hollowell sitting as the reason Indiana won the last two games?

I think the reason people are talking about it that way is because before JH was on the bench his quality of play was pretty low, and probably hurt the quality of play on the court. I don't have any idea if he would have performed above his head the last two games and helped us win in the end, no one does, but that is the argument that is being made. 

I find it odd that JH is gone after by so many fans, yet Troy Williams seems to get a pass from so many of the same people. Outside of a hand full of games he has not been very good this year (I think his turnover rate it actually the highest on the team's), and even then JH has had a hand full of games when he has performed well. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="30231" timestamp="1389830206"]I think the reason people are talking about it that way is because before JH was on the bench his quality of play was pretty low, and probably hurt the quality of play on the court. I don't have any idea if he would have performed above his head the last two games and helped us win in the end, no one does, but that is the argument that is being made. I find it odd that JH is gone after by so many fans, yet Troy Williams seems to get a pass from so many of the same people. Outside of a hand full of games he has not been very good this year (I think his turnover rate it actually the highest on the team's), and even then JH has had a hand full of games when he has performed well. [/quote] Part of the problem there is that people expect Jeremy (WHO BARELY PLAYED AS A FRESHMAN) to play like a seasoned veteran. He hasn't been at IU all that long. Yes, he has underperformed, but holy cow, give the kid a chance to grow up a little bit before implying he is a lost cause. They (including me) back Troy probably because he is a freshman and isn't expected to be a world beater. The stats don't lie though; he turns it over way too much. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Troy Williams provides less than Hollowell IMO. People just don't expect anything from Troy.

To me, Williams being limited to eight minutes was a bigger reason IU beat Wisconsin than Hollowell not playing.

Troy Williams provides less than Hollowell IMO. People just don't expect anything from Troy.

To me, Williams being limited to eight minutes was a bigger reason IU beat Wisconsin than Hollowell not playing.

Williams actually had a higher turnover rate than Jeremy, albeit slightly.  He really has no business being in the starting lineup right now.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="30257" timestamp="1389837005"]Williams actually had a higher turnover rate than Jeremy, albeit slightly. He really has no business being in the starting lineup right now.[/quote]

Exactly. Williams really provides nothing except an occasional cool dunk. I think Troy will be a really good player, but he doesn't need to get big minutes as a freshmen.

Hollowell gives Indiana more, but that's just my opinion.

Call me wrong, but I have totally given up on him as a fan. He has shown me nothing worth being able to say he will turn it around in the near future. IF he continues to ride the pine per CTC's decision I do see a possibility of him choosing to transfer out on his own but never being "dumped" by the program. 

I don't take issue with what anyone else thinks about him.  I just hope he does turn it around because there is no downside to that scenario.

Exactly. Williams really provides nothing except an occasional cool dunk. I think Troy will be a really good player, but he doesn't need to get big minutes as a freshmen.

Hollowell gives Indiana more, but that's just my opinion.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I seem to remember telling people not to expect much out of him this year.

I saw a little of him play, and this is pretty much what I expected.  Why he's starting is beyond me.

No idea what is the reasoning behind sitting JH. None of us probably ever will know the whole story. That being said, the drug rumors are 100% not true. If any player had tested positive or was in possession of an illegal substance, IU would need to report it immediately and we would have heard by now if that was the case. It sounds like he is distracted in some way by off the court problems (girlfriend issues, hanging with the "wrong crowd", etc) and Crean wants him to focus on Bball. Until he is willing to commit to whatever Crean wants from him, he will sit the bench. I hope the young man figures out whatever it is and comes back stronger and focused. He has a lot of potential. Hopefully we will see that blossom into something great here at IU.

No idea what is the reasoning behind sitting JH. None of us probably ever will know the whole story. That being said, the drug rumors are 100% not true. If any player had tested positive or was in possession of an illegal substance, IU would need to report it immediately and we would have heard by now if that was the case. It sounds like he is distracted in some way by off the court problems (girlfriend issues, hanging with the "wrong crowd", etc) and Crean wants him to focus on Bball. Until he is willing to commit to whatever Crean wants from him, he will sit the bench. I hope the young man figures out whatever it is and comes back stronger and focused. He has a lot of potential. Hopefully we will see that blossom into something great here at IU.

I completely agree with you with Jeremy's benching. I'm confident it is in no way a drug issue. Any player that would test positive or be in possession would have to be reported and then be removed from the team. Coach is greatly disappointed in Jeremy for reasons that we will never know. After listening to Crean post game interview, he did say that he would "play him when I play him." In other words, it it up to Jeremy to WORK his way back into seeing some floor time. The ball is in his court.

I'm one of those people that believes Jeremy wants to be here and Jeremy wants to succeed. I don't think he will take the easy way out and transfer I can tell that by his actions on the bench against Wisconsin. If and when he plays again this year I think it will be the Jeremy we have all been waiting to see because crean will not play him until then. Really think this will turn into a positive situation similar to Coach K benching Rasheed Sulaimon earlier this year for a few games for poor play and not having his head in the right places and he carried is to victory the other night against Virginia. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm one of those people that believes Jeremy wants to be here and Jeremy wants to succeed. I don't think he will take the easy way out and transfer I can tell that by his actions on the bench against Wisconsin. If and when he plays again this year I think it will be the Jeremy we have all been waiting to see because crean will not play him until then. Really think this will turn into a positive situation similar to Coach K benching Rasheed Sulaimon earlier this year for a few games for poor play and not having his head in the right places and he carried is to victory the other night against Virginia. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Its so hard to tell if he will come out and be the player we want him to be. Missing big games is not going to really help him with his game, i understand practicing helps develop your game, but missing a must win against psu on the road and a huge home game against a team that has beaten us down 12 times in a row, seems to me like its great in game experience just gone to waste. I know we won both of those games without him, but i feel he shouldnt have sat out the whole game, at least give him a few minutes, idk where im going with this lol.....

It can't just b poor play period! I can't see crean starting him almost every game to not even a second in 2 in a row. I also can't see comparing troy to jh common troy is agravating because he is trying to hard and not dribbling before he takes off or throwing the ball away. I think he busts his butt in other words to me easier to deal with compared to jh lethargic hanging his head can't jump a inch off the floor jh<br /><br />Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app<br /><br />

[quote name="coonhounds" post="30355" timestamp="1389914423"]It can't just b poor play period! I can't see crean starting him almost every game to not even a second in 2 in a row. I also can't see comparing troy to jh common troy is agravating because he is trying to hard and not dribbling before he takes off or throwing the ball away. I think he busts his butt in other words to me easier to deal with compared to jh lethargic hanging his head can't jump a inch off the floor jh

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

[/quote]

Troy is more athletic; therefore, he gives a greater effort. Got it.

Let's just admit that both aren't very good right now and need to play sparingly.