Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) C Thon Maker

Because he wants to make a tournament run and be a 1st round pick not a bubble team and a possible late 2nd rounder like all of our stars.

Sounds good if it was accurate.

1/2 Big men we placed in draft was in the D-League at one point this year. Not sure Crean is the best at developing Big men. I would argue all Cody did here was get stronger. That would be due to Jenay not Tom.

Would he get drafted in lottery? Probably. Would he develop and reach maximum potential at IU where he could then get a big 2nd contract in NBA (where the real money is)? Maybe.

Cal developed Cousins, Davis, and all the rest? Really?

If Crean is such a guru with Big's then why do we have none on our team? As of today our starting PF or C will be Hanner yet again. How may does Cal have on his team? I guess Hanner knows something that the 8 or 9 seven footers that Cal has had the past 4-5 years doesn't know.

Back on the subject. I have no faith we land Thon, if we do then we will under utilize him like we did Vonleh, which is why he had 1 foot out the door before the season was even over.

First, our Senior Big and our Sophomore big were already lottery picks. 2 left for various reasons (homesick and injured?) and 1 was way more athlete than basketball player. He's a lot like Lee.

I feel bad. I am actually defending BBN. See what kind of shape the state of this program has me in. I need to take the summer off.

I hear ya. The Damon Bailey thread with those great memories just totally p'ed me off again about our current sad state.

First, our Senior Big and our Sophomore big were already lottery picks. 2 left for various reasons (homesick and injured?) and 1 was way more athlete than basketball player. He's a lot like Lee.

If you want to play that game then UK should have 25 Mcd's AA on their current roster.

Anybody else want to argue that Cody, Noah, Hanner, Jurkin are better than Cousins, Patterson, Anthony Davis, Terrance Jone, Nerlens Noel, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, Trey Lyles, Karl Towns, and Julius Randle?

Both Crean and Cal have a reputation with Big Men I will let you figure out what it is.

If you want to play that game then UK should have 25 Mcd's AA on their current roster.

Anybody else want to argue that Cody, Noah, Hanner, Jurkin are better than Cousins, Patterson, Anthony Davis, Terrance Jone, Nerlens Noel, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, Trey Lyles, Karl Towns, and Julius Randle?

Both Crean and Cal have a reputation with Big Men I will let you figure out what it is.

Soooo....IU's CTC 5 star bigs that you mentioned: How did they leave IU?

Looks like we went two for two as lottery picks. Two for two as first rounders.

Calipari's 5 star bigs at UK: How did they leave UK?

(Noel, Davis, Jones, Cousins, Wiltjer, Dakari Johnson, Lee, Lyles, Cauley-Stein, Towns, Randle, (not counting Poythress as he's damaged goods): five for eleven in lotto, (assuming Lyles and Lee go pro - currently not lotto projected, and Towns goes pro and will be in lotto), eight for eleven in first round (not likely Dakari, Lee, Wiltjer).

Another barometer?

IU's 5 star bigs: One for two are Academic All-Americans with college degree.

UK's 5 star bigs: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Soooo....IU's CTC 5 star bigs that you mentioned: How did they leave IU?

Looks like we went two for two as lottery picks. Two for two as first rounders.

Calipari's 5 star bigs at UK: How did they leave UK?

(Noel, Davis, Jones, Cousins, Wiltjer, Dakari Johnson, Lee, Lyles, Cauley-Stein, Towns, Randle, (not counting Poythress as he's damaged goods): five for eleven in lotto, (assuming Lyles and Lee go pro - currently not lotto projected, and Towns goes pro and will be in lotto), eight for eleven in first round (not likely Dakari, Lee, Wiltjer).

Another barometer?

IU's 5 star bigs: One for two are Academic All-Americans with college degree.

UK's 5 star bigs: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wasn't interested in comparing 5 Stars. As HH1 was mentioning a homesick and Injured IU player. I can only assume he is talking about Luke and Jurkin or Luke and DD or Luke and Hanner? As if any combination of those two players with Cody and Noah would compare to the stream of players Cal has had and still has. I loved Cody, and I liked Noah, but those are two players that are gone. Cal has had 11 very good college big men as you mentioned with 4 currently on his roster and a minimum of 2 more coming next year? 

So I will give you Cody and Noah, but what about April, Priller, Hanner, Jurkin, Jobe, Bawa, Capobianco, Howard, Pritchard. Cal's recruits are good to very good college big men. Crean's 3/10 in my book and that is being generous saying Fischer will turn out to healthy and serviceable at a college other than IU.

Academics - I cannot argue with you on this aspect.

Wasn't interested in comparing 5 Stars. As HH1 was mentioning a homesick and Injured IU player. I can only assume he is talking about Luke and Jurkin or Luke and DD or Luke and Hanner? As if any combination of those two players with Cody and Noah would compare to the stream of players Cal has had and still has. I loved Cody, and I liked Noah, but those are two players that are gone. Cal has had 11 very good college big men as you mentioned with 4 currently on his roster and a minimum of 2 more coming next year? 

So I will give you Cody and Noah, but what about April, Priller, Hanner, Jurkin, Jobe, Bawa, Capobianco, Howard, Pritchard. Cal's recruits are good to very good college big men. Crean's 3/10 in my book and that is being generous saying Fischer will turn out to healthy and serviceable at a college other than IU.

Academics - I cannot argue with you on this aspect.

Now I get your point, and I agree: Calipari has recruited more quality bigs than CTC. No question.

However, the ahem..."motivation" for some of those recruits, and the academic "pass the giggle test" for some of them allowed Calipari to bring in more than a couple (Davis, Cousins, Jones, Noel, Randle) that I would rather not have IU deal with.

I think you're missing the primary area where Calipari does appear to be superior to CTC: defensive execution.

I hate to say it but it worked for Trey Lyles. Oh it hurts so bad. The cream rose to the top and Lyles is getting starter minutes, even @ UK. Ugh!

the money worked for lyles when calipari leaves UK and all his titles and final fours are vacated there we shall see who gets the last laugh but back to thon he seems like a smart kid who knows what system will fit him or rather mold to him and with the way we run and spread the floor we pass the eye test all he needs to do is fire up the fax machine

Thon has spoken highly of IU since before he was visited by the coaching staff. I believe when he was in Australia, he was introduced to IU through Dante Exum (a recruit who went pro). And since we are the only U to offer him and his brother, that sits well for him. His brother and him are C-L-O-S-E! Remember, they have been at the hip since escaping Africa. I don't understand why other universities haven't seen that and done the same thing. I think the staff deserves kudos for looking into his ties and targeting that. Great plan, that i believe will put us on top when it is all said and done

I guess i should clarify. When i said he learned of IU through Exum....I don't really know if he spoke of IU to Exum. Just all the hype surrounding Exum and IU that was going on when Exum was in the land down under. Alot of Aussie press was spinning on Exum going to IU back in the day.

Thon has spoken highly of IU since before he was visited by the coaching staff. I believe when he was in Australia, he was introduced to IU through Dante Exum (a recruit who went pro). And since we are the only U to offer him and his brother, that sits well for him. His brother and him are C-L-O-S-E! Remember, they have been at the hip since escaping Africa. I don't understand why other universities haven't seen that and done the same thing. I think the staff deserves kudos for looking into his ties and targeting that. Great plan, that i believe will put us on top when it is all said and done

He may have heard about IU and Exum but Thon was already in the states when we started recruiting Exum.