Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - Valentyna Kadlecova to IU

Wonder if it is an insurance recruit regarding class of 2025 even though this is a 2024 recruit as in looking ahead (A.Beckham comes to mind).

Sounds to me like a practice body. Would love for it to amount to more but sincerely doubt it. With Garzon and Sandvik they were ranked players and explicitly recruited to be contributors.

Any addition to a roster this late, whether it is foreign or not (see Dallas James for men's team), is almost always to provide practice competition. This is not a knock on the coaches or any of these players and they serve an important role. However, expecting or hoping for them to be contributors at some point is almost always a bit of wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Sounds to me like a practice body. Would love for it to amount to more but sincerely doubt it. With Garzon and Sandvik they were ranked players and explicitly recruited to be contributors.

Any addition to a roster this late, whether it is foreign or not (see Dallas James for men's team), is almost always to provide practice competition. This is not a knock on the coaches or any of these players and they serve an important role. However, expecting or hoping for them to be contributors at some point is almost always a bit of wishful thinking.

Her #s don't say that at all. 

I guess we will see. 

Just now, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

I guess we will see. 

I don't take numbers from overseas seriously. I look at the timing of the add.

If this is someone that was expected to be a contributor they would have been added much earlier this summer to the roster. It is very rare for this late of an addition to ever contribute and is usually done out of desperation or to provide a practice body as likely is the case here.

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

If this is someone that was expected to be a contributor they would have been added much earlier this summer to the roster. It is very rare for this late of an addition to ever contribute and is usually done out of desperation or to provide a practice body as likely is the case here.

I checked Garzons and could tell she was a player. Henna never avged that overseas. 

I will wait and see. 

A player that can develop into a role player in a two or three years if she stays around like Henna has done.  (always possibility of a sleeper as in surprise successful recruit/player in a couple years).  Plus higher level of player/s are currently being recruited (Aubrey Beckham).  The outstanding question is who is going to be added to class of 2025 and 2026?  Will she or they come to IU…the highest level prospects are challenging for the IU Ladies.

(1) For what it's worth, "International names to know for WNBA draft"--lists her name: https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/12/28/international-names-to-know-for-2024-wnba-draft/  FYI: Czech teammate Dominika Paurova had good 1st year at Oregon State, and is now at Kentucky. SO, maybe this girl has some real talent.

(2) Fact is that for IU women in 24-25, there are a whole bunch of people who have the potential, but they need to take the next step--that certainly includes Lamendola, Bargesser (can she get a steady 3), Currie-Jelks, Meister. Any or all of them could break out and show "All-Big 10 form". Or not.

Maybe you can add Valentyna to that group.

(3) Look at what Garzon has accomplished. Did anyone really predict that when she came in as an international?

I guess we will see. 
Watched some highlights and it was mostly defensive highlights. Is real aggressive in your face defender. Will need to work on her shot only shot 23% from three.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Aaron said:

The timing of a lot of overseas adds don’t match up and that has nothing to do with their ability and more to do with the timetable they as individuals have.

Couldn't find a ton of footage, but looks stronger then most freshman and with good size. TM might be thinking she can help break a press. We certainly struggled with that. If not she looks like she will be a load on defense in practice. I like this pickup! Would not be surprised to see her get situational minutes.

8 minutes ago, DJ Candypants said:

Couldn't find a ton of footage, but looks stronger then most freshman and with good size. TM might be thinking she can help break a press. We certainly struggled with that. If not she looks like she will be a load on defense in practice. I like this pickup! Would not be surprised to see her get situational minutes.

She’s a 20 year old freshman.

CTM is very tightlipped as is the whole team.  Maybe the late addition is because we have a current player with an injury of some sort that could impact her availability and Valentyna is an insurance policy.  Curie-Jelks missed almost all of last season.  Maybe motherhood trumps playing basketball for her.  Maybe CTM looking at a redshirt candidate.  CTM wanted her and she wanted us.  That's all that really matters.  

On 8/23/2024 at 8:00 PM, mickey one said:

(1) For what it's worth, "International names to know for WNBA draft"--lists her name: https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/12/28/international-names-to-know-for-2024-wnba-draft/  FYI: Czech teammate Dominika Paurova had good 1st year at Oregon State, and is now at Kentucky. SO, maybe this girl has some real talent.

(2) Fact is that for IU women in 24-25, there are a whole bunch of people who have the potential, but they need to take the next step--that certainly includes Lamendola, Bargesser (can she get a steady 3), Currie-Jelks, Meister. Any or all of them could break out and show "All-Big 10 form". Or not.

Maybe you can add Valentyna to that group.

(3) Look at what Garzon has accomplished. Did anyone really predict that when she came in as an international?

I really hope Garzon is able to take that next step and become one of the best in the BT next year.  Had hoped for a bigger step last year but she had so much going on back home I also realize she likely had a lot on her mind. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I really hope Garzon is able to take that next step and become one of the best in the BT next year.  Had hoped for a bigger step last year but she had so much going on back home I also realize she likely had a lot on her mind. 

I feel like Garzon is a bit limited from being as big a star as she might be because of a lack of athleticism. She can shoot and see the floor in a way few others can though.