Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LamarCheeks

IU Baseball, B1G tournament, May 21-26 @ Omaha

I appreciate the updates guys! I’m driving and can’t really check the scores so I’m having my wife do it for me lol

Also hit a batter and balked in a run. 
Winnin' ugly -- but it's better than losing! 

Yep. Plenty of opportunities to clean some things up… but an ugly win is still a win.

35 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Hoosiers win 14-7 to stay in the winners' bracket. 

We need to beat O$U or Nebraska once to reach the championship. 

The Cornshuckers or Hairless Nuts would need to beat us twice. 

Absolutely want Nebraska as beating them could still get you an at-large bid if you lose Sunday. Don't think beating the Buckeyes again will be enough if they fall in the Championship.

3 hours ago, HoosierX said:

The one thing you can't do right now is walk these guys, make them put it in play.

Exactly. The Hoosiers gave up 4 runs in the 3rd without giving up a hit. Freaking amazing.

2 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Does double elimination go away if you reach the championship? i.e., is it winner take all regardless of whether the two teams have a loss or not?

Yes championship is single elimination. That's why Saturday's semi gives IU and Penn St two shots to win one game while Nebraska, Ohio State. Michigan, or Illinois would need to win both. 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Yes championship is single elimination. That's why Saturday's semi gives IU and Penn St two shots to win one game while Nebraska, Ohio State. Michigan, or Illinois would need to win both. 

Is it not double elimination for the team advancing thru the winner's bracket? Pretty sure that it is.

10 minutes ago, Redcamaro said:

Is it not double elimination for the team advancing thru the winner's bracket? Pretty sure that it is.

No it is not. Double Elimination ends after Saturday regardless of who gets through. In other words if IU didn't lose Saturday but lost Sunday and Penn State lost Saturday but won Sunday the Nittany Lions are still the champions. This changed in 2014 when they expanded from 6 to 8 teams. 

Its right on bracket.  Double Elimination through Saturday. Single Elimination on Sunday only: 

https://assets.contentstack.io/v3/assets/bltca750cef518bc6e4/blt0fea966cc3ed856e/2024_Baseball_Bracket_Tournament_.pdf

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Thanks!

It really is a huge advtantage to win your first two games. The team in the loser's bracket has to play an extra game just to get to you then has be beat you twice.

Posted (edited)

Nebraska eliminates O$U 12-5. 

Cornshuckers need to beat us twice tomorrow. 

First game is early -- 10 a.m. (ET)

Second game is ... hell, we won't need no stinkin' second game (but if we do, it's at 6 p.m.) 

Winner advances to championship against Michigan, Illinois or Penn State

Edited by LamarCheeks
Had a brain fart -- forgot about the Nits.

8 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Does double elimination go away if you reach the championship? i.e., is it winner take all regardless of whether the two teams have a loss or not?

Was trying to figure out why OSU had another game to play I thought it would be like softball where it isn't double elimination. 

29 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I've not been able to follow the tournament very closely.  What's the probable starting pitcher situation look like considering we have to be prepared to play 3 more games in 2 days?

I really don't know who will start... 

Truthfully--- I could see Bothwell saying "screw it" and go throw 70 or 80 pitches... even though he threw on Tuesday... 

Kraft, Keyster, Rybarczyk haven't thrown.. Tonghini could throw 3-4 in relief. He won't start. Vogel could throw 2-3 innings in relief. 

Only knowing 5% of the needed info--- I think Kraft or Rybarczyk start. 

‐----------------------------

Personally-- I would save Bothwell and Buhr for Sunday and throw the others. 

100% no way Nebraska should beat us twice with the arms they've used vs the arms we've used. Especially in that ball park, outside of some crazy wind blowing out. 

And even if there is a wind... our offense should be taking massive advantage.