Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Unexpectedflash

Expectations for the 24-25 Season

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

#1 isn't true 

#2 is a worry--- Rice, KC aren't poor defenders, though, and I love the addition of Ballo defensively, and DEFENSIVE REB

#3 ehh

#4 very worried about that, in fact, my biggest worry, don't consider them overly young though, and won't subscribe to that as an excuse

#5 ehh

#6 you didn't pick up the phone for little Liam? 

#7 who cares? UK, KU, Duke, and UNC have been paying (allegedly) guys for years and they play hard for them? These kids can't just mail it in because they're getting a fat check, they want to play in the league...

There are always unknowns. 

Yea this died for me a long time ago, guys can learn to love the university once they are here. Pay them and get them in the door. I don't love the current iteration of college sports, but it is here to stay so I want IU swimming in the deep end with the schools you mentioned. 

12 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

No idea it’s only April 

That’s really the big thing.  I expect more wins than most when we are including both tournaments.  I think we can get to 24+ wins before the BTT and expect some success after.  But it’s only April.  The teams we are playing against are also trying to get better.  The teams like us are going to have to gel over the summer.  We have talent, but a lot will come down to how well they come together over the summer and fall.  A lot can and will change between now and the end of the next season.  I like where our talent mostly is, but more excited to see if we can take a step forward this year.  Really need to see wins.  Can’t wait either way.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

#7 who cares? UK, KU, Duke, and UNC have been paying (allegedly) guys for years and they play hard for them? These kids can't just mail it in because they're getting a fat check, they want to play in the league...

There are always unknowns. 

Sure but that was before the unlimited transfer rules.  Guys just looking for checks aren't necessarily the best "team players."    

7 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Yea this died for me a long time ago, guys can learn to love the university once they are here. Pay them and get them in the door. I don't love the current iteration of college sports, but it is here to stay so I want IU swimming in the deep end with the schools you mentioned. 

I just can't believe "love of the university" is on the list needed for us to be successful. Can't take that seriously. 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Sure but that was before the unlimited transfer rules.  Guys just looking for checks aren't necessarily the best "team players."    

Do you know them? 

How do you know they are just looking for checks? 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but I find that to be a far-fetched worry. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think relationships still matter quite a bit, it is not solely money (although if we can buy a FF or NC I could not care less how it happens). KC and Rice are good friends and grew up playing AAU together, and had preexisting relationships with Coach Ya. That tells me they do not both commit here if money was the sole reason. It is the coaches job to make sure they are getting the guys with character and mindset they want for the team, and thus far I believe they are doing that. Woody for all his faults has made it clear that NIL demands are basically a non-starter for him when recruiting. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Do you know them? 

What are players with big roles on national title contenders/conference championship winners looking for if not a check? Like let’s be for real here for a minute. Arizona to IU is a step down in basically every way for a basketball player in 2024. If it’s not money, what’s the motivating factor? 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are players with big roles on national title contenders/conference championship winners looking for if not a check? Like let’s be for real here for a minute. Arizona to IU is a step down in basically every way for a basketball player in 2024. If it’s not money, what’s the motivating factor? 

Money is definitely a big part of it in NIL, but playing time, with more exposure / opportunity (which dovetails with possible money / income in the future), role, is part of it as well.

I think this could belong on this thread...I went back and looked at '22 and '23 portal rankings. In 2022 Miami got two top 20 kids (Pack and Omier). In 2023 Alabama got Estrada and Nelson. Both those teams made the Final Four. Not saying IU is Final Four bound, but teams who have stacked up the talent in the portal (mainly top 20) have done really well that season. For the most part the rankings are spot on. You have a few (Timberlake) that didn't produce.

Those were really the only two teams that had multiple guys in the top 20. Nobody had 3 so what IU is doing is kind of unheard of in the portal. 

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

100% 

Money is a perfectly fine consideration for a transfer kid to consider, but players who are just looking for money is different and a recipe for disaster.

I love the Field of 68 because of what they do for college hoops. They are like the NFL/NBA Network for the sport. However, you can tell if they really like a coach, they will hype them up. Ex: Dusty May and Pat Kelsey (who have done a good job this offseason). All they've talked about is Louisville and Michigan are killing the portal. They also think Mark Pope, a guy with 0 NCAA Tournament wins, is a good fit at UK.

However, they crap all over IU still despite their haul in the portal. I've been critical of Woodson. I just find it odd that according to them if we need more shooting (Goode and Anderson) we are all of a sudden a legit threat. I think we already are. Odds are one or two of the sophomores make a jump. That's what it's going to come down to for us. If Rice, Carlyle and Mgbako become good three point shooters. If the answer is yes, IU has final four potential. If not, the ceiling is probably Sweet 16/2nd round. That is with/without adding Goode/Anderson.

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do you know them? 

Dude, I posited as a "what if."  You think it's far-fetched.  I don't.  

36 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU could could win 23 games and still not meet expectations or IU could only win 20 games and meet people expectations.   If IU won 23 but 18 of them were against Q3 and Q4 teams then that’s not good enough in my opinion and might not have the resume to make the tourney however if IU only won 20 games but 18 of them were Q1 and Q2 wins then they probably had a solid year 

No, that would mean they lost a ton of games against Q3 and Q4 teams which would be a bad year.  There is no world where a 20 win season next year is a "good" year.  None.  23 wins should be the floor.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In the case of Ballo you can see how it would make sense. If nothing else Woodson has a rep now of developing/unlocking bigs' potential to get to the next level. I'd say that's the biggest motivator for most players, as it should be honestly.

12 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think this could belong on this thread...I went back and looked at '22 and '23 portal rankings. In 2022 Miami got two top 20 kids (Pack and Omier). In 2023 Alabama got Estrada and Nelson. Both those teams made the Final Four. Not saying IU is Final Four bound, but teams who have stacked up the talent in the portal (mainly top 20) have done really well that season. For the most part the rankings are spot on. You have a few (Timberlake) that didn't produce.

Those were really the only two teams that had multiple guys in the top 20. Nobody had 3 so what IU is doing is kind of unheard of in the portal. 

Yep.  You have to go a bit deeper in the rankings to get programs who brought in 3 top players.  Woodson did good, portal wise. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In Ballo's case, the one area where I do give Woodson credit, what he did with TJD and Ware probably factors in a bit.

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Yep.  You have to go a bit deeper in the rankings to get programs who brought in 3 top players.  Woodson did good, portal wise. 

Both Miami and Alabama, like us, had some nice pieces (Wong, Sears, etc). IU has 3 guys I think that would be top 50 portal players if they had went into the portal (Reneau, Mgbako, Galloway). We will see. It's all about how they fit and how they improve shooting wise. On paper, the best IU team in over ten years. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I also think Arizona really likes their freshman center (I think his name is Krivas). He has more NBA potential I've read. Could be possible his minutes would decrease this year. I've seen a lot of guys that have the COVID year transfer (Gillis at Purdue is another example). Why some worried Galloway would transfer. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I have no idea what THE motivating factor is. Ask them 

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, that would mean they lost a ton of games against Q3 and Q4 teams which would be a bad year.  There is no world where a 20 win season next year is a "good" year.  None.  23 wins should be the floor.

Not necessarily might just mean they play a tough SOS