Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

24 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yea I think it matters. Good teams and programs have continuity from one season to the next. Maybe an exception for Kentucky, but we have not shown the ability to recruit on that level.

Plus, while I agree everything is basically a one year deal, you have an advantage "recruiting" your players to stay when they have already been productive and successful at your school.

Reportedly  we’re not having continuity after next year in almost any scenario.  

The exception  would be if IU wins big. But if you need to win big next year to even have a possibility of a future after that, there’s no incentive to build for 2 yrs down the line, only next year. 

Jake Weingarten -

Queens (NC) transfer Deyton Albury has heard from Indiana, Kansas State, FAU, UCF, Virginia Tech, Samford, UNT, Akron, amongst many others, he told @Stockrisers. One of the ASUN’s top newcomers this past season.

https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/deyton-albury/10689

What happens here in 2-3 weeks when it is obvious that woody isn't gonna field a good team using the portal.  Keep him and let him fail, or move on to a coach that wants the job?  Or are we beyond moving on, even if it becomes painfully obvious this isn't gonna work?
He has the backing of quinn and the big boosters with the money. That's is all he needs no matter how bad it's going to be

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Does it even matter? Everything is basically a one year deal now.  

Even guys like Galloway and Leal apparently have to be offered above market rates to return. Unless they return some rules to the portal process, I don’t think remaining years is a huge benefit. 
You want to add 8-10 guys every spring? Good teams aren't doing that.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

You want to add 8-10 guys every spring? Good teams aren't doing that.

I’m not doing anything. I don’t prefer IU to be going through it either. But here they are. 

But we’re not a good team. And a new coach is going to be starting over next year anyways. I don’t think Woody is going to be prioritizing long term consequences. 

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A side comment but when 247, TheDailyHoosier, etc., start putting out stories on specific names that have been mentioned as contacted by IU could be a subtle hint that those are the guys we're seriously interested in.

Wonder how those guys feel about us. I know woody said we have better relationships going into the portal. I assume those are agents. 

The more I look at portal players, the more I become concerned how many are willing to be that 10th-13th player on the team.  I assume that next year will be a rehab year for Jakai Newton, so maybe he fills one of those spots.  That still means that we need three players willing to come and not be in the rotation next year.  In years past, those were typically filled by freshmen that were considered projects.  Woodson didn't recruit anyone like that.  Are any of these lower division kids willing to come and sit for a year if the dollar amount is right or are they going to be looking for playing time?  Starters should be easy to get, non-rotation players may be more difficult. 

4 minutes ago, JF87 said:

The more I look at portal players, the more I become concerned how many are willing to be that 10th-13th player on the team.  I assume that next year will be a rehab year for Jakai Newton, so maybe he fills one of those spots.  That still means that we need three players willing to come and not be in the rotation next year.  In years past, those were typically filled by freshmen that were considered projects.  Woodson didn't recruit anyone like that.  Are any of these lower division kids willing to come and sit for a year if the dollar amount is right or are they going to be looking for playing time?  Starters should be easy to get, non-rotation players may be more difficult. 

That's why the hysteria of needing 7-8 portal players is vastly overstated. Reality is that you have 3 players who are all capable of playing starters minutes (Galloway, MR, and MM) and a 4th in Cupps who can play backup PG minutes. Nobody plays an 11 man rotation, let alone a 13 man rotation, so the idea that IU needs 7 top portal players is just paranoia. You need two home run guards in the portal who can start, a backup big, and preferably a shooter off the bench. That's an 8 man rotation not including Leal or Newton...Leal showing he can at least provide serviceable minutes in emergency situations. Need 4-5 in the portal this year and can obviously take up to 6-7 need be. 

9 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Fair question. We got Sparks and Walker last year, so it’s doable. Whether you can get higher quality than that is a major concern. 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Reality is that you have 3 players who are all capable of playing starters minutes (Galloway, MR, and MM) and a 4th in Cupps who can play backup PG minutes. Nobody plays an 11 man rotation, let alone a 13 man rotation, so the idea that IU needs 7 top portal players is just paranoia. You need two home run guards in the portal who can start, a backup big, and preferably a shooter off the bench.

Are you putting Mbako in the post or banking on Woody changing his starting lineup to 4 perimeters and one post?

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Are you putting Mbako in the post or banking on Woody changing his starting lineup to 4 perimeters and one post?

My hope is the latter of the two.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

That's why the hysteria of needing 7-8 portal players is vastly overstated. Reality is that you have 3 players who are all capable of playing starters minutes (Galloway, MR, and MM) and a 4th in Cupps who can play backup PG minutes. Nobody plays an 11 man rotation, let alone a 13 man rotation, so the idea that IU needs 7 top portal players is just paranoia. You need two home run guards in the portal who can start, a backup big, and preferably a shooter off the bench. That's an 8 man rotation not including Leal or Newton...Leal showing he can at least provide serviceable minutes in emergency situations. Need 4-5 in the portal this year and can obviously take up to 6-7 need be. 

The further down in the portal rankings, the more able you'll be to fill spots.  That's a simple proposition.  However, if you want IU to be any good, you need several of the top players.  History suggests that will be an uphill climb.  A) Best other programs have been able to do is 3 of the top 50.  B)  Why the hell would any top player want to join the crew of the Titanic?  C) We had a top incoming freshmen and he bailed within 24 after it was announced the coach would be back.  The word is out on IU and Woodson.  We can try to paper over it with Benjamins, but the odds are against us.  

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

My hope is the latter of the two.

I'd love to see it, but I wouldn't bet a dime on it. Seems to me, his system is his system. I hope he gets the right players for it... though I don't love watching it or the results it produces. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Let's say we add four as you suggest. That puts us at 10 players, one of whom may or may not be physically able to contribute. Are we going into the season with 9-10 players? What happens when the inevitable injuries hit, or somebody get suspended, etc?  We won't even be able to go 5 on 5 in practice without including the walkons.

I'll agree that all 7 portal guys don't have to be studs, but we do need to fill out a roster. For what it's worth, Anthony Leal was pretty clearly the 11th man at the start of the season, and he ended up playing 20+ minutes a night by the end.

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The further down in the portal rankings, the more able you'll be to fill spots.  That's a simple proposition.  However, if you want IU to be any good, you need several of the top players.  History suggests that will be an uphill climb.  A) Best other programs have been able to do is 3 of the top 50.  B)  Why the hell would any top player want to join the crew of the Titanic?  C) We had a top incoming freshmen and he bailed within 24 after it was announced the coach would be back.  The word is out on IU and Woodson.  We can try to paper over it with Benjamins, but the odds are against us.  

Who said anything about top 50? Some of the best acquisitions in the portal didn't sniff the top 50:

Per On3

-Marcus Domask #118

-Daniss Jenkins #139

-Hunter Sallis #194

-Ryan Conwell #182

-Cam Spencer unranked

Pick any 2 of those players and IU is soundly in the tournament this year, 

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

I agree with what you said in the bold, though I think we'll end up with a slightly different mix. 

I feel very differently about the proposition that we can take up to 6-7 "need be" ... I want a full roster of players. That should not be hard at a place like IU. They don't all have to be stars, or even major contributors... the ability to play a small role would be wonderful. After the season we just had, where XJ's extended time off the court from injuries forced GC into major minutes before he was necessarily ready. I do not want to be anywhere near the same position next time.

Field a full roster. That should literally be the absolute bare minimum, IMO.