Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In this case, no you're not.  What happens in a board room stays in a board room.  I was not a director but served as the EVP and secretary for the board of a publicly traded company.  The only meetings I did not attend were discussions of my salary and that of the company president.  Too many of you are asking for BoT info that quite honestly is none of your business and specific votes or any questions related to split votes are irrelevant.   Issues are discussed; votes taken; decisions made and announced based on the votes -- my experience the chairman of the board never cast a vote except in the case of a tie.  Certainly his thoughts were made known but he himself did not have a vote unless there was a tie.  The board as a whole always has the option to replace the board chairman if there is that much disagreement among the board members and they believe different leadership is needed.   

Sure, don't share the vote splits. Your point is well taken. 

The IU BOT publishes their meeting minutes and agenda, so you can see all of what is discussed or may be put to a vote. As an insider from the administration, I'd appreciate some of that insight because I do not have the time to comb through each 190+ page PDF of the minutes.

https://trustees.iu.edu/meetings-minutes/minutes.html

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

Sure, don't share the vote splits. Your point is well taken. 

The BOT publishes their meeting minutes and agenda, so you can see all of what is discussed or may be put to a vote. As an insider from the administration, I'd appreciate some of that insight because I do not have the time to comb through each 190+ page PDF of the minutes.

https://trustees.iu.edu/meetings-minutes/minutes.html

I'll tell you right now that unless someone specifically insisted on a roll call vote the minutes will read along the lines of  "upon a motion duly made and seconded, the motion was approved/denied."  Might have been 6-5 vote but that's how the minutes will read.   And I'm not going to waste my time either because IMO the whole line of discussion is pointless.  Kathy has specifically stated she's not on the BoT so she has zero knowledge of what actually has transpired in those meetings.  Therefore, she's expressing personal opinions and not facts.

52 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It happens

Yea we know…far too often.

Most of us have been fans the last 25+ years. Thus our frustration now extends past the rotating cast of clowns the administration puts into the head coaching spot every 4-5 yrs and now includes the poor performance of the administration itself—BoT, included. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

That's the message.  If everything is not "fine" then what's being done about it?  All I see is "blame the fans."    

So not firing Woody means everyone is fine with the results? How has that kind of perspective helped shape the program over the last 25 years?

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

I don’t, because they’re inapplicable. I realize you and Golf want Woody to be gone - I’m just trying to both tell you how that could happen, as well as that there’s little sentiment for it, if any.

I know the evaluation of Coach Woodson falls on the Athletic Director, but do you know if the BOT has any expectations for the IU basketball program?  If so, does the BOT feel that those expectations have been met? 

28 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:
  • "Nothing I say will change that until you get the outcome you think is appropriate." This conversation is not about my displeasure with Woody being retained, I'm unhappy because you won't answer a very valid question that RaceToTheTop posed which would go a long way in proving your point as well as substantiating your insider status.
  • "Short of firing MW, none of that matters to you, which I get" Oh really? You know what matters to me? I'm actually not as anti Woodson compared to many on this board. What matters to me is, when having a conversation, I'm engaging with somebody who is doing so in good faith. What matters to me vis a vis conversing with you, is trying to find some of that insight you've been talking about. You position yourself as some sort of administration insider here, then refuse to engage on a substantive topic like the question RaceToTheTop posed. What matters to me is not MW being fired. You are not willing to prove your point re: the very bold claim you made that "consensus decision making has never caused unilateral authority at IU."
  • "Further, they don't make decisions the way you wish they would." Again you have no idea how I would prefer decisions be made. It does not surprise me that the BOT and many others have input... I definitely think they should. You've shed no actual light on how decisions have been made other than saying Scott Dolson is unqualified and consensus is important.

I’ve told you how decisions are made, I’ve answered every question you and others have posed, yet you’re still unsatisfied. I understand you don’t like the process, but your displeasure changes nothing about that.

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I know the evaluation of Coach Woodson falls on the Athletic Director, but do you know if the BOT has any expectations for the IU basketball program?  If so, does the BOT feel that those expectations have been met? 

They do, at least in a general sense. They’re all fans for sure and want us to do well. Some are much deeper into it than others, but they all want us to be good.

13 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Yea we know…far too often.

Most of us have been fans the last 25+ years. Thus our frustration now extends past the rotating cast of clowns the administration puts into the head coaching spot every 4-5 yrs and now includes the poor performance of the administration itself—BoT, included. 

Thanks for your perspective. I would be surprised if your time as a fan isn’t dissimilar to that of Jersey and Golf, as well and based on their posts.

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

They do, at least in a general sense. They’re all fans for sure and want us to do well. Some are much deeper into it than others, but they all want us to be good.

Thank you for replying even though I find the answer disheartening. 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'll tell you right now that unless someone specifically insisted on a roll call vote the minutes will read along the lines of  "upon a motion duly made and seconded, the motion was approved/denied."  Might have been 6-5 vote but that's how the minutes will read.   And I'm not going to waste my time either because IMO the whole line of discussion is pointless.  Kathy has specifically stated she's not on the BoT so she has zero knowledge of what actually has transpired in those meetings.  Therefore, she's expressing personal opinions and not facts.

I’m expressing opinions based on information gleaned from people directly involved, past and present, and that includes trustees. They don’t take formal votes on basketball hires, something a few here can’t seem to accept.

Just now, JF87 said:

Thank you for replying even though I find the answer disheartening. 

I get that. These people haven’t traditionally been wallflowers, though. Many have been huge fans of the program but they’ve always kept a respectful distance. Look to the SEC and B12 for examples of a more engaged BOT, and it’s rarely been a good thing.

9 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

So not firing Woody means everyone is fine with the results? How has that kind of perspective helped shape the program over the last 25 years?

You keep repeating yourself.  The programs is at the precipice of epic failure.  24 hours after the coach's return is announced, the ONLY recruit de-commits.  The one holdout decides he would rather go to a program that is arguably in worse shape than IU.  They went 0 for 31 on recruits.  There are at least two players projected to leave for a more applicable competition level (i.e.; playing time).  So it looks like a min of six roster spots to fill and there are zero, zilch, nada recruits to fill those spots.  2025 recruiting doesn't appear to be any better.  

So we hear about the "Great Woodson Portal Plan" -- we'll use some dumb donor's money to buy players in the transfer portal.  Yet, of the 6 transfers we have gotten the past 2 years, only 1 reaches the level of "home run."  And they missed on a bunch so they leave a scholarship open.  Looking at past years, even the best teams only get 2-3 of the top 50 transfer players.  And we'll be competing with those big dogs again this year.  Bold strategy Cotton, lets see how it works out for him.

That's the plan going forward.  And there is no motivation from the powers that be to fire the coach who created this mess.  That is complete joke.  

The problem with IU over the past 25 years is they haven't acted quickly -- always just another year.  Except of course with Sampson, who regardless of what he did or didn't do had the best coaching career of all them put together, except Knight.  If IU would just do the freaking opposite of what they think, they would be much better off.  

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ve told you how decisions are made, I’ve answered every question you and others have posed, yet you’re still unsatisfied. I understand you don’t like the process, but your displeasure changes nothing about that.

*cough*

1 hour ago, J34 said:

FOIA

Go for it but I'm going to tell you right now you'll be sorely disappointed.  Don't you think corporate minutes are written as obtusely as possible?  They're going to be written in language designed to be very bland and withstand court subpoena's should that ever arise in a civil lawsuit.

And the minutes will never go into the details of discussions that were held on any particular issue.  They might reference some generalities of the discussions but rarely will minutes go into the juicy details many of you want.  "After lengthy discussion and upon a motion ......" that's mostly what you'll find in corporate minutes.  These things are being written and/or reviewed by lawyers before they're officially accepted.  That should tell you all you need to know - sorry btb lawyers.