Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

2023-24 Prediction League - Game 30 at Minnesota Wed 3/6/24 9pm BTN

Stick a fork in the Hoosiers.  We are about done.  Right?  Well, maybe not.  It depends.

You can point a lot of fingers at what went wrong at IU this year but it basically boils down to three things.  1) we didn't pick up that extra shooting guard last summer and Newton was unable to play this year.  That left us two bodies down to everyone else.  2).Our bench failed us big time.  We have gone from mass substitutions at the beginning of the year to trying to find someone, ANYONE, that can contribute consistently off the bench.  And, 3) with Johnson out twice this year with injuries, we have tried to take on most teams with 4 players against 5.  This isn't a knock on Cupps.  He plays defense and doesn't turn the ball over.  However he is mostly worthless on offense.  He doesn't look to shoot and doesn't produce many assists.  There isn't a lot on the bench after him.  If you want to blame all of this on the coach. so be it, but I'd dare anyone to figure out how to get more out of what we have.  We are a one dimensional team.

This is the time of the year when games should be the most predictable.  We have a lot of evidence to go on.  Or do we?  I'm not a big Xavier Johnson fan but when he plays well he can alter the outcome of a game on both ends of the court.  Notice I said can and not will.  Everyone, Vegas included, is judging the Hoosiers on our season performance.  Most of the year we have been without Johnson.  but, he will be there tonight and that can alter the results.

On paper Minnesota wins this game be about 7 at home and that is the logical pick.  In every pick I make I try to be logical and consistent but tonight I'm going out on a limb and playing a hunch.  Can Johnson have a 7 point impact on this game.  That is basically taking away a 3 on defense and adding a couple of 2's to the IU offense.  Not much but maybe enough.

I'm going with the upset.  If I'm wrong I drop another 50 points behind in the standings.  If I'm right I pick up 50 on a lot of people.  My fingers are crossed that my gut reaction is right.

Hoosiers         75

Gophers           74

I think IU can win this one with X back and playing under control, Bako now scoring regularly in double figures, Ware handling the boards and with the ability to pull Dawson outside. 
But, it’s Minn’s senior night, it’s that stupid Minn ct, and they’re playing for revenge, and they just beat PSU and play pretty well at home. I want to pick IU but I’m not convinced we’re consistent and focused enough.

Ugly yellow Minn - 78

Big Red - 73