Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The results sucked.  That's different than saying the schedule sucked.  The net non-conference SOS last year was 110 I believe.

Results or not it was pretty bad, but nobody called it that in real time because nobody had an axe to grind with Woodson. 

3 Q1 games

0 Q2 games

3 Q3 games

6 Q4 games

This year you’re potentially looking at:

2-3 Q1

2-3 Q2

2-3 Q3

3-4 Q4

6 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Last year a team like Iowa St. Schedule almost all cupcakes and blew those teams out. They were rewarded a high seed so the committed shows that is the way to schedule 

They had four quad 1 and 2 games in non-conference, so it wasn't 'almost all cupcakes'.  And they were rewarded a high seed because they went 13-5 in the Big 12 and played 16 quad 1 games, winning 10 of them -- only two teams played more quad 1 games and only three won more than 10 quad one games.

45 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

They had four quad 1 and 2 games in non-conference, so it wasn't 'almost all cupcakes'.  And they were rewarded a high seed because they went 13-5 in the Big 12 and played 16 quad 1 games, winning 10 of them -- only two teams played more quad 1 games and only three won more than 10 quad one games.

Iowa State’s non-conference ranked 345/362 on KenPom.

0-1 Q1 games (Texas A&M)

2-1 Q2 games Beat Iowa and VCU, lost VT

0-0 Q3 games

9-0 Q4 games

They’re non-conference schedule sucked.

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Josh did 

You are the tournament expert -- if IU had won one of the three games against U Conn, Kansas, and Auburn and blew out teams that they should have in the non conference, would the non-conference schedule been good enough?

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You are the tournament expert -- if IU had won one of the three games against U Conn, Kansas, and Auburn and blew out teams that they should have in the non conference, would the non-conference schedule been good enough?

No.   They still wouldn’t of made the tourney 

On 7/9/2024 at 10:23 PM, Uspshoosier said:

You said nobody and i give you an example of someone who did.  So good for me also  

I don’t care man. I didn’t the first time either.

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

No.   They still wouldn’t of made the tourney 

Which team would you pick?

Team A:  20-13, Q1 4-8, Q2 6-4, Q3 4-1, Q4 6-0.  Non-con NET SOS 122, Overall NET SOS 23

Team B:  21-11, Q1 5-8, Q2 5-3, Q3 5-0, Q4 7-1.  Non-con NET SOS 330, Overall NET SOS 47

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Which team would you pick?

Team A:  20-13, Q1 4-8, Q2 6-4, Q3 4-1, Q4 6-0.  Non-con NET SOS 122, Overall NET SOS 23

Team B:  21-11, Q1 5-8, Q2 5-3, Q3 5-0, Q4 7-1.  Non-con NET SOS 330, Overall NET SOS 47

Depends on how many of the Q1 wins were Q1a.   Neither 

48 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

That doesn't work with this coach. His teams tend to get blown out by good teams, even his best team did.

... and squeaks past powerhouses like Army, Morehead State and Florida Gulf Coast... and don't forget losing twice to Penn State, thrice to Nebraska (blown out twice). 

Mike Woodson, doing his job since 2021.

39 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Iowa State was a top 15 NET team before the B12 started by virtue of beating 9 Q4 opponents by an average margin of 37 points. This all despite not having a Q1 non-conference win. Should be noted that several B12 teams deployed a similar scheduling strategy and therefore completely manipulated the NET system. When you have a bunch of teams beat up on each other with artificially inflated NET rankings during the conference slate, the likelihood of dropping significantly is minimal.

Had IU beaten Wright St, FGCU, Army, Morehead, etc by 20+ points, you’re probably looking at a 20-25 spot swing in the rankings. Beat any of the Q1 opponents and you’re looking at another ~10 spot swing. That’s roughly 30-35 spots. NET would have still been in the low to mid 60’s. Would have been close but not inconceivable.

11 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Had IU beaten Wright St, FGCU, Army, Morehead, etc by 20+ points, you’re probably looking at a 20-25 spot swing in the rankings. Beat any of the Q1 opponents and you’re looking at another ~10 spot swing. That’s roughly 30-35 spots. NET would have still been in the low to mid 60’s. Would have been close but not inconceivable.

So if IU was a better team their NET ranking would've been better? Ground breaking stuff right there.

26 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

So if IU was a better team their NET ranking would've been better? Ground breaking stuff right there.

In my scenario above, IU’s record changes by 1 game in the W-L column. I’m speaking to the lunacy and inconsistencies of the NET that unfortunately IU and many other B10 teams were a year late in discovering. The B12 besides Houston and Baylor was largely s*** last year despite a bunch of computers telling us otherwise. Because they had been manipulated.

But you knew that.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Depends on how many of the Q1 wins were Q1a.   Neither 

The first was IU's in the hypothetical situation that they had beaten one of the U Conn, Kansas, Auburn trio -- the question I had asked is would IU have been in if they hadn't beaten one of those three and blown out the non-con they should have.  U Conn and Auburn were Q1a games, Kansas was Q1b (just below 1a), so for the sake of argument let's just say that team A had one 1a win.

The second team was Northwestern.  They had two 1a wins but I do need to amend the 5-8 quad 1 record -- it was actually 4-7.  The tournament games were put on Warren Nolan's sheet but shouldn't have been there.  Northwestern put a non-conference schedule were they played SEVEN teams with a NET of 274 or worse (IU had one) and the Wildcats actually lost to one of those teams.  Strength of victory for IU:  133.  Strength of loss:  35.  Northwestern strength of victory:  135.  Strength of loss:  58.

My contention is simply that Northwestern wasn't even really on the bubble -- they were a 9 seed.  But in the scenario I provided -- IU getting one more win and beating bad teams by a decent margin -- I don't see much difference between IU and Northwestern in that scenario.  IMO, Northwestern should have been a bubble team just making it instead of a 9 seed.