Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

7 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Is it a great schedule no but it isn't as bad as some of you are making it.

Or not as good as others in the Big Ten. It's probably mid-pack of the BT which is par for the course for Mike Woodson

Illinois is playing Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, and Duke

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://x.com/John_Fanta/status/1810679607370391640

Just stop.  Crean got flamed for this type of schedule.  South Carolina is your "big matchup" for the home crowd.  No Indianapolis game.  It is another "f--- you" to the small dollar donors and fans.  They get rid of the Crossroads Classic where you had Butler or Notre Dame and replaced it with a home game against Chattanooga.  I didn't think that was the idea behind getting out of that game....

Got out of the Crossroads to play KU x2 and UK x4 on that weekend. God forbid.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Or not as good as others in the Big Ten. It's probably mid-pack of the BT which is par for the course for Mike Woodson

Illinois is playing Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, and Duke

Good for them, you peep their non-conference schedule last year? Makes ours look like Murderer's Row this year.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Is the UK game in January? I didn't see it Nov or Dec?

It's starts next year. KU and Kentucky six out of seven years sure beats the hell out of the Crossroads Classic. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So we could have scheduled something tougher than South Carolina this year. OK just making sure

Could have, sure. Not needed with 3 games against Q1/Q2 opponents in the Bahamas however. Don't hurt yourself overthinking this one. 

Just now, AH1971 said:

Could have, sure. Not needed with 3 games against Q1/Q2 opponents in the Bahamas however. Don't hurt yourself overthinking this one. 

YOu are quick to get on us about not liking Mike Woodson the basketball coach but I'll at least admit when he does something good like his portal hall this year. But when he schedules something like this you can't even say a bad word about that. Come on now

11 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Got out of the Crossroads to play KU x2 and UK x4 on that weekend. God forbid.

Can you point me to UK and Kansas on the schedule?  If one of them shows up after the fact, I will pull back some, but as of right now this schedule is Grade F @$$ and you know it.  Torvik has South Carolina at 54.  That is your big non-conference "home" game.

For the battle for Atlantis you have Gonzaga (10), Arizona (9), Louisville (62), Providence (60), Oklahoma (67), West Virginia (83), and Davidson (157).  I would bet we get Louisville for the first game and then you have to hope you get Gonzaga/Arizona (and win) and then hope for whomever you hadn't played out of that crew.  Most likely you beat that round one team like Louisville, lose to Gonzaga/Arizona, and then get another 60+ ranked team (per Torvik).

The rest of that schedule are teams you beat by 20 at home unless you are Mike Woodson the past few years.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

YOu are quick to get on us about not liking Mike Woodson the basketball coach but I'll at least admit when he does something good like his portal hall this year. But when he schedules something like this you can't even say a bad word about that. Come on now

I have zero issues with the schedule. There's enough Q1/Q2 opportunities to bolster the tournament resume and we avoid playing several sub 300 teams like in years past. For those that follow and understand college basketball outside IU, teams like UNC-Greensboro, Sam Houston, Winthrop, etc are all solid mid-major programs who are good enough to win their conference, conferences that have been to known to pull upsets in the NCAAT. These aren't sub 300 level opponents who significantly drag down SOS. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

3 possible games against Q1/Q2 could end of being 3 possible games against Q2/Q3 games depending on how the bracket ends up.    Programs  can schedule however they want.  It’s worked out loading up on cupcakes for some teams to make the tourney however for teams that want to compete for titles challenge themselves regardless of the outcome.  Alabama and Purdue last year scheduled like teams that knew they were going to be good.   Purdue rolled its non con and Bama struggled however they challenged themselves.  Worked out for them they both made the finals 4.  BYU played the system and played a soft schedule and  had a good NET however didn’t get the results in the tourney. 

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can you point me to UK and Kansas on the schedule?  If one of them shows up after the fact, I will pull back some, but as of right now this schedule is Grade F @$$ and you know it.  Torvik has South Carolina at 54.  That is your big non-conference "home" game.

For the battle for Atlantis you have Gonzaga (10), Arizona (9), Louisville (62), Providence (60), Oklahoma (67), West Virginia (83), and Davidson (157).  I would bet we get Louisville for the first game and then you have to hope you get Gonzaga/Arizona (and win) and then hope for whomever you hadn't played out of that crew.  Most likely you beat that round one team like Louisville, lose to Gonzaga/Arizona, and then get another 60+ ranked team (per Torvik).

The rest of that schedule are teams you beat by 20 at home unless you are Mike Woodson the past few years.

I'll eat my foot if Providence, Louisville, and Providence all end up sub 60 in the NET by seasons end. In fact, I'll bet 2/3 are tournament teams. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I'll eat my foot if Providence, Louisville, and Providence all end up sub 60 in the NET by seasons end. In fact, I'll bet 2/3 are tournament teams. 

I'll take the bet that Providence doesn't make the tournament twice this season. They might get one spot but not two

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

3 possible games against Q1/Q2 could end of being 3 possible games against Q2/Q3 games depending on how the bracket ends up.    Programs  can schedule however they want.  It’s worked out loading up on cupcakes for some teams to make the tourney however for teams that want to compete for titles challenge themselves regardless of the outcome.  Alabama and Purdue last year scheduled like teams that knew they were going to be good.   Purdue rolled its non con and Bama struggled however they challenged themselves.  Worked out for them they both made the finals 4.  BYU played the system and played a soft schedule and  had a good NET however didn’t get the results in the tourney. 

JFC, Purdue "scheduled" two of their five good non-conference games. The rest were by virtue of playing (and winning) in Maui which is no different than us playing in the Bahamas this year. We will play at worst a Q2 opponent in round 1 and then likely Gonzaga/Arizona in round 2. Win your first two games in the Bahamas and there's a good chance you're leaving with 3 Q1 opponents on the schedule, the same amount as last years non-conference schedule. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I'll take the bet that Providence doesn't make the tournament twice this season. They might get one spot but not two

Good catch. Oklahoma should be the third team. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I have zero issues with the schedule. There's enough Q1/Q2 opportunities to bolster the tournament resume and we avoid playing several sub 300 teams like in years past. For those that follow and understand college basketball outside IU, teams like UNC-Greensboro, Sam Houston, Winthrop, etc are all solid mid-major programs who are good enough to win their conference, conferences that have been to known to pull upsets in the NCAAT. These aren't sub 300 level opponents who significantly SOS. 

All these are Torvik:

SIU-Edwardsville (313)

Eastern Illinois (311)

South Carolina (54)

UNC-Greensboro (175)

Sam Houston (113)

Miami OH (234)

Chattanooga (148)

Winthrop (166)

That is 1 Q2 game and the rest are Q3 and 4. That looks Charmin soft to me.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

All these are Torvik:

SIU-Edwardsville (313)

Eastern Illinois (311)

South Carolina (54)

UNC-Greensboro (175)

Sam Houston (113)

Miami OH (234)

Chattanooga (148)

Winthrop (166)

That is 1 Q2 game and the rest are Q3 and 4. That looks Charmin soft to me.

It's almost as if 3 potential games in a pre-season tournament littered with Q1 and Q2 opponents aren't on the list. Hmmm.

Add Providence/Oklahoma/Louisville, Gonzaga, and Arizona to that list and now tell me what the schedule potentially looks like?

34 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://x.com/John_Fanta/status/1810679607370391640

Just stop.  Crean got flamed for this type of schedule.  South Carolina is your "big matchup" for the home crowd.  No Indianapolis game.  It is another "f--- you" to the small dollar donors and fans.  They get rid of the Crossroads Classic where you had Butler or Notre Dame and replaced it with a home game against Chattanooga.  I didn't think that was the idea behind getting out of that game....

Just for reference this s was our non conference schedule in 1986-87 season.

Montana State I was at that game

ND

UK

Vandy

UNC Wilmington 

E. Carolina 

Morehead State 

UL

Princeton 

Illinois State 

Don't look that much different than this coming year. Also back then we had 4 pretty much guarantee wins in the conference vs UW and NW

I get it a lot hate Woodson and will bash him on everything even if I t isn't warranted.