Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From my understanding as I said earlier today. Woody doesn't even know he is on the hot seat. His assistants are afraid to tell him. As he said last week he looks at himself as an elite coach. He can with any team. Except this one

It's really pretty sad that he has that much of a distorted view of himself and his abilities...

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

With FAU coach Dusty May being a buzzy candidate on this year's carousel, one source put it plainly: "They're scared they're missing on Brad Stevens Part Two."

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Exactly! May was born and raised a Hoosier. He's the Jordan Hull's of coaching (sorry Jordan.. I know you're a coach too). How can IU survive if they miss on the guy born in their backyard! I'm all for Pearl, but Dusty is #1. If he hits big over the next decade IU fans are going to explode - rightfully so

The portal window opens up March 18th so Indiana will need to move fast to secure the top portal kids. There’s no particular rush for these kids to commit as they weigh their options (most money). But Dolson can’t sit around and wait until the end of March to make a move. 

I’m with Chris, we should know something by March 18th, end of day. 

Just now, Trish said:

The portal window opens up March 18th so Indiana will need to move fast to secure the top portal kids. There’s no particular rush for these kids to commit as they weigh their options (most money). But Dolson can’t sit around and wait until the end of March to make a move. 

I’m with Chris, we should know something by March 18th, end of day. 

But any kid in the tournament won't be in the portal on March 18 correct?

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm under the impression that Dolson knows that Dusty is a yes if the Pearl deal falls through for any reason. As you are coping, I'm the same and nothing would surprise me at this point. The only thing I know that is fact is I'm going to enjoy a cold beer in an hour, some taco Tuesday and watch ILL & Purdue hopefully end in a tie. 

Purdue a lock tonight, Chris

My read on the situation is that we are looking at a giant game of chicken. Dolson doesn't want to fire Woody without approval for the new coach, and Buckner doesn't want to be the most hated IU player of all time (yes, even more than Dan Dakich), by not hiring Pearl. Before all of the info leaked, Dolson didn't have any leverage. If he can't blame Buckner for everything, it will look like he is incompetent and didn't have a plan to hire anyone. Now that people are finding out that Buckner is blocking Pearl, in favor of his nepo-baby, Dolson can turn it all on Buckner. Now we just have to see who will blink first.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

I get that Dolson how wulis an IU guy through and through and being head of the athletics department at this university was probably a dream job of his from early on, but at what point do you show a little dignity and stand up for yourself? Assuming Woody gets a 4th year, why not come out and publicly say how things are being run behind the scenes while stepping down with honor? Does anyone really think Dolson is going to survive this whole ordeal anyway? You just know the Woodson failed hired is ultimately going to be pinned on Dolson seeing as he's the AD who "hired" and announced Woodson. Buckner is never going to publicly own this and somebody will have to take the fall. If you're Dolson, why not get out in front of it now?

Couple of reasons. Leaving now is the same as just giving up. That is no way to run a program/business. Secondly, although this "battle" is the only one talked about on here, I'm sure there are other battles to be fought in the department. Consider that he just hired his football coach, how would it appear to those in that area of the department to then leave so soon?

6 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

If he gets boos at home games, has family and friends on X, has a staff/donors that are in contact with him daily... and still doesn't have it figured out he's either A) Oblivious toward the life that surrounds him (no fault there I am as well) B) The most confident man in Indiana 

You lose the fan base, it's over. It's QB, AD, and CMWs choice to let it bleed out slowly or pull the plug. 

I'd love for him to simply retire. As a man I really enjoy him, he's fun to listen to and he is respectable by all means. I want him to advise and stay around the program, come to games etc - just don't want him to be the head honcho because he's not at the level that I want IU to be at. Certainly someone in his circle can say, "Hey Woody.. The fans really want you gone, your players are transferring away, and you'd enjoy your life much more on a golf course than in an AAU gym this summer" 

If they don't, and Woodson shows his face at another sectional/regional game, some fan just might do it for them.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ve been on the message boards for a long time.  And this one is the most active I’ve ever seen a fire-a-coach thread.  

In some ways I wish the noise would quiet down a little and let the behind the scenes stuff go to work.  But then I also realize the program momentum is a factor being determined.  Makes things tough.  

In many ways I like Woodson as a person (much like Tom Allen).  I hope we can make this happen similarly, without burning too many bridges and working respectfully.  

IU has a long list of former coaches who were "nice guys" but couldn't coach a lick to save their souls...

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think he's stuck on Archie got 4, so his buddy has to get 4 also. 

That’s poor logic, and completely arbitrary. Woody’s done just as good as Archie, he just got to his ceiling w/out TJD a year quicker. Clearly, fan patience is worn thin for mid/poor results with good talent, and a limited trajectory. Who’s in Buckner’s circle that can give him a healthy dose of truth serum?

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ve been on the message boards for a long time.  And this one is the most active I’ve ever seen a fire-a-coach thread.  

In some ways I wish the noise would quiet down a little and let the behind the scenes stuff go to work.  But then I also realize the program momentum is a factor being determined.  Makes things tough.  

In many ways I like Woodson as a person (much like Tom Allen).  I hope we can make this happen similarly, without burning too many bridges and working respectfully.  

Both men are likable and appear to be fine people but that shield of likability will start to quickly thin the longer results aren't met.  I thought Allen did good job of seeing the writing on the wall.  I'm hoping Woodson can do the same before any of those bridges start to catch fire.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But any kid in the tournament won't be in the portal on March 18 correct?

More than likely yes, it will be the mid majors or P5’s who are done. Lots of bench kids but there will still be some starters in there March 18th.

41 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Rabby has stated many times that this will be decided very quickly once the season is over. One way or another. I believe if Woodson is fired, the assistants can stay and do the day-to-day stuff until a new coach is announced and his staff is finalized.

Do you think it's to the point where Woodson is done regardless Pearl's intentions? It's one thing to fire Woodson with a guy lined up ready to go, it's another thing to fire him (like Tom Allen) and conduct a search. What stage are we at now?