Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

On 10/16/2024 at 5:54 PM, Stuhoo said:

Not the benchmark! 
Never said it was the benchmark!

That poll was ranking B1G coaches and Pikell is very overrated. That was my point. Woody underachieving ? Okay. But a narrative that he’s somehow not as good or better than Pikell or (lord help me) Willard?!!?

That’s ridiculous.

Glad we’re a football school!

8 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

One of these years , we’ll be back to glory……… that party will be epic. I’m quite chill but I even have future bail money put aside just in case. Never daunted mi amigos. 

I will most likely won’t be around by then at the rate we are going!!!  For those that are confused, it’s because I’m older than 90% of the people on this board and I’m afraid it’s not going to happen in the rest of my lifetime!

Honestly, the fact that we can’t land a 5 star recruit in our own backyard with our NIL resources and a head coach that coached in the NBA, then Scott Dolson needs to make change no matter what the outcome is this year.  Having a dinosaur of a coach that coached in the NBA during his prime over 20 years ago, isn’t never going to attempt too many recruits who actually have a long time to think about their college choice.  That is most likely why Woodson has done well in short term recruiting because they don’t have time to think about how old he is because all they think about on today’s recruiting landscape is how much money they can make!

FIRE MIKE WOODSON!!!!

Losing the Mullins recruiting battle has put a little more heat under Woodson’s seat. He is the prototype of player fans love to get behind. I wish Woodson and this years team all the best. But if they don’t put together a really successful season and IU keeps Woodson I probably won’t be as interested in basketball as usual. But for now I am going to love watching the football team. Nothing like knowing you have a top notch coach makes being a fan a lot easier. I will say my opinion is that Woodson is a less than average coach. True fan says fire Woodson. P.S. prove me wrong Woodson just win.

If Woodson doesn't want to, or isn't capable of putting in the leg work to start getting more high school recruits to commit, then he needs to surround himself with assistants who can. Maybe we need a staff that doesn't consist of Archie leftovers. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

If Woodson doesn't want to, or isn't capable of putting in the leg work to start getting more high school recruits to commit, then he needs to surround himself with assistants who can. Maybe we need a staff that doesn't consist of Archie leftovers. 

Assistants can only do so much.  At the end of the day the head coach has to be the one doing the legwork.   It matters to recruits and other schools can negative recruit against you if your head coach isn’t the one doing the heavy lifting.  

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Assistants can only do so much.  At the end of the day the head coach has to be the one doing the legwork.   It matters to recruits and other schools can negative recruit against you if your head coach isn’t the one doing the heavy lifting.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/10/23/indiana-basketball-star-braylon-mullins-commits-to-uconn-danny-hurley-recruiting-greenfield-central/75789862007/?tbref=hp

Walsh has to feel like a pitcher who takes a 2 run no hitter into the bottom of the ninth with only 1 out to go and then hands it over to the closer who goes on to lose 3-2.

Fudging Woody man.  

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Walsh has to feel like a pitcher who takes a 2 run no hitter into the bottom of the ninth with only 1 out to go and then hands it over to the closer who goes on to lose 3-2.

Fudging Woody man.  

Yeah reading that article earlier just solidified what people reported.   Him not even mentioning Woody while talking about building relationships with coaches is a bad look.    Walsh can only do so much.   I doubt Walsh will be here near year if Woody is back.   Can’t blame him for leaving. Pretty sure he was close to leaving after last year 

Agreed. And when the reports of a coach being told by the AD that he has to go watch a recruit play in his sectional, does anyone not expect the recruit to hear about it? Not saying anything specific to or about the Mullins recruitment, or Dolson telling Woodson to go watch Mullins play, but could something like that scenario hypothetically jinx or tank a recruitment? Just asking if any of that could happen...

These kids play ball 24/7/365, and they all know each other... if any of that could happen, word would spread... kids talk.

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I doubt negative recruiting would be much of a problem if we had real recruiters with strong connections on our staff. I mean, Archie Miller wanted these guys on his staff...after we fired him I would have purged this program of anyone he coveted or confided in. 

And Woodson is 66. I doubt there are too many coaches in their 60's who are recruiting with the same gusto they did 20-30 years earlier. You need a strong staff. Our staff sucks. 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/10/23/indiana-basketball-star-braylon-mullins-commits-to-uconn-danny-hurley-recruiting-greenfield-central/75789862007/?tbref=hp

Fudging Woody man.  

This article was linked in the one you posted (above)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/10/23/what-braylon-mullins-uconn-means-iu-basketball-mike-woodson-indiana-recruiting-transfer-portal/75805568007/

How many IU basketball coaches have been even moderately successful without doing well recruiting the homeland? Woodson has failed miserably, and the natives are growing more restless with every recruiting miss.

It’s just the product and lack of faith in our success imo. I think the assistants do a good job recruiting. I think Woody has his type that like him. I don’t think the recruiting is totally coordinated. But in the end it’s the results and vision of the program.

Just gotta hope we win or changes or made. However, I like the portal so I’m not too worried….yet…..

I also think we need to recruit guys who’s #1 is winning. Indiana has been worried about everything else and with the NBA since Sampson. I don’t think that’s the formula. Win first. NBA will notice. Instead of the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Agreed. And when the reports of a coach being told by the AD that he has to go watch a recruit play in his sectional, does anyone no expect the recruit to hear about it? Not saying anything specific to or about the Mullins recruitment, or Dolson telling Woodson to go watch Mullins play, but could something like that scenario hypothetically jinx or tank a recruitment? Just asking if any of that could happen...

These kids play ball 24/7/365, and they all know each other... if any of that could happen, word would spread... kids talk.

It can't help. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I also think we need to recruit guys who’s #1 is winning. Indiana has been worried about everything else and with the NBA since Sampson. I don’t think that’s the formula. Win first. NBA will notice. Instead of the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This is a great point. I mentioned in another thread that we seem to have a higher success rate with players who aren't setting dates to have all eyes on them when they reveal their choice. I don't recall Braden Smith or Fletcher Loyer publicly announcing their intentions to go to Purdue, unless I'm misremembering. I can't actually think of any Purdue player who held a press conference and put on a hat to say they were going there. Maybe we need to recruit more like them? 

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

Some interesting stuff on the other board in the Mullins thread on one Brad Stevens...

At this point Stevens hasn’t coached college basketball in more than a decade and hasn’t coached basketball at all for 3+ seasons. I’m not convinced he’s be the savior people make him out to be. We need a grinder like Coach Cig who lives and breathes his sport. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

In article from the Indy Star that Loaded Chicken posted about Mullins decision, he mentioned Walsh several times.  And in that article he mentioned Hurley many times but never once mentioned Woodson once. That was the difference, he liked Walsh but Hurley’s involvement was greater than Walshes involvement because he’s the head coach.  Woodson’s lack of putting in the leg work or being totally involved is the major problem!  The fact that he has the the attitude that Mike Woodson don’t go to you but you come to Mike Woodson Is also a major problem too!   Scott Dolson will certainly have his work cut out for him this next year because everyone knows it’s time for a change no matter how good this team produces this year 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At this point Stevens hasn’t coached college basketball in more than a decade and hasn’t coached basketball at all for 3+ seasons. I’m not convinced he’s be the savior people make him out to be. We need a grinder like Coach Cig who lives and breathes his sport. 

You are describing Crean, believe it or not!  I can’t believe I’m saying that!