Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, TadQueasy said:

I would love to believe that Woody could have a great season and then ride off into the sunset.  But I just cannot see it.  The man I have watched and listened to over the last couple years has an ego that would not allow something like that to happen.  In his mind IU cannot move forward without him at the helm right now.  He is still young enough that he will think he has another few years left in the tank and if things are going well he will want to be in the drivers seat.  

And yet can’t close the deal on long term HS recruits!  I done my job!!!

On 10/18/2024 at 11:48 AM, DChoosier said:

To me the worst scenario, by far, is an “in-between” season.

This is also the most likely situation by far. Given all of the variables (coaching, shooting, defense, etc.), I'd say there's a roughly 10 percent chance of winning big, 20 percent chance of losing big, and a 70 percent chance of in-between.

Sounds like he feels like he needs to win a B1G title and a natty before he's willing to retire.  The fate of our program lies completely with Dolson.  If Woody is going anywhere he's going kicking and screaming.

Hey, Scott, make him cry!

On 10/18/2024 at 11:21 AM, Stuhoo said:

The differences being that

1. Without high school recruiting Knight, unlike Woody, was screwed
  2. RMK was in his 50's then, and Woody is already 66 and can't do this job much longer.

So for me? As much as I hate to ;) I'm gonna put a bow on this thread and make an overarching 'it all doesn't matter that much' conclusion 

• The team this year is likely to be quite good with any head coach
  • Woody's buyout is negligible after this season
  • This will be Woody's last year, win big, lose big, or in-between.

*ps: y'all are free to disagree, but ima gonna be quoting this post when it becomes so.

I agree with you here. On all points. I believe Dolson has a plan. 

The football hire was the best hire since Knight and I guarantee you that it’s opened some previously closed eyes. The often cited notion that it would take [Insert Coach’s Name] some time to win, has been thoroughly debunked by the hiring of Cignetti.

Turning IUFB around was a task exponentially more difficult than restoring the basketball program. With a healthy QB we are a legitimate college football playoff contender, in year 1. 

For those of us who bought into that fallacious idea (I was one of them), read that last sentence as many times as you need, so that it sinks in. 

I have a renewed trust in the current administration, that we will bring in the right guy for basketball within the next 1-2 seasons. 

I think we are going to have a good year. Top 2 in the B1G is my prediction. 

I want to believe like you Trav.  I have confidence in Dolson, but I just fear that his hands have been tied on the basketball side of things.  I think he has a good idea of what he would like to do with the basketball program, I am just not sold on the fact that he has the freedom to do those things.  And if Woody has a decent to good year this year I am not sure he has the freedom to do anything but continue to support Woody. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

The football hire was the best hire since Knight and I guarantee you that it’s opened some previously closed eyes. The often cited notion that it would take [Insert Coach’s Name] some time to win, has been thoroughly debunked by the hiring of Cignetti.

Turning IUFB around was a task exponentially more difficult than restoring the basketball program. With a healthy QB we are a legitimate college football playoff contender, in year 1. 

For those of us who bought into that fallacious idea (I was one of them), read that last sentence as many times as you need, so that it sinks in. 

I have a renewed trust in the current administration, that we will bring in the right guy for basketball within the next 1-2 seasons. 

Yes and no.  Cig is a one in a million find.  Look at the last few years of coaches hired.  That guy at Alabama comes to mind.  

3 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

I want to believe like you Trav.  I have confidence in Dolson, but I just fear that his hands have been tied on the basketball side of things.  I think he has a good idea of what he would like to do with the basketball program, I am just not sold on the fact that he has the freedom to do those things.  And if Woody has a decent to good year this year I am not sure he has the freedom to do anything but continue to support Woody. 

If after a what, $10 million payroll, decent to good is all we get, he should be gone.  Give the money to Cig.  

2 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Disagree with the best hire comment. Hep would have gotten the program to great heights had he had the chance 

7 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Sounds like he feels like he needs to win a B1G title and a natty before he's willing to retire.  The fate of our program lies completely with Dolson.  If Woody is going anywhere he's going kicking and screaming.

100% agree!  Woodson is a stubborn old has been who thinks he’s a better coach than what he really is!  He is a legend in his own mind!!! 

100% agree!  Woodson is a stubborn old has been who thinks he’s a better coach than what he really is!  He is a legend in his own mind!!! 

And Buckner is leading the brass band in Mediocre Mike’s honor. His term cannot end soon enough.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

That guy at Alabama took Washington to the national title game last year. 

Yeah, with our old QB. :)  But,

What have you done for me lately.   The comment was about turning things around in 1 year via the portal   It ain’t so easy   

On 10/18/2024 at 8:08 AM, IUFAN1976 said:

Spending money on players and the transfer portal is a lazy coaches dream come true.  Woodson is by far one of the laziest coaches I’ve ever seen.  Tom Crean would blow him out of the water in todays recruiting landscape 

Bring Crean Back