Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

7 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I’m in the hope or delusional way of thinking, that this offseason the meetings with him went like this - “Mike, we can both admit that this isn’t working out. You’ll have one year with unlimited money to field a team to have your swan song year. After next season, you walk away, head held high and walk off into the sunset”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be the ideal scenario and I’d happily get on board. But with what we know about Mike Woodson, I see no way he leaves voluntarily. He already acts semi-retired but gets  north of $4 million a year to do it. Why give that up? 

The worst case scenario next year (which I see as being the most likely scenario) would be Woodson doing just enough to keep his job. I think sneaking into the tournament and making an early exit gets him a fifth season. 

40 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

There's also another $2M in NIL money. Obviously changed a few minds. Trilly had Galloway all packed up and headed to South Bend before Woodson gave him and Leal big raises, and followed it up with the "true fan" crap at Senior Day.

And it could be that Trilly was wrong, again  

That would be the ideal scenario and I’d happily get on board. But with what we know about Mike Woodson, I see no way he leaves voluntarily. He already acts semi-retired but gets  north of $4 million a year to do it. Why give that up? 
The worst case scenario next year (which I see as being the most likely scenario) would be Woodson doing just enough to keep his job. I think sneaking into the tournament and making an early exit gets him a fifth season. 

I would like to think he takes at 4 million over the next 2-3 years or whatever is left and then stretch it out to 1 million a year over the next 12 years or however that was worded in his contract.

I would agree, making the tournament year will be enough and he gets a 5th year and then keeps going until he strikes out in the portal one offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I agree but there were a lot of people saying most of our players were leaving. Now, we see all the key players that can return are.  Recruiting your own is definitely part of winning the offseason. 

Happy three starters are returning because as much as I think Mike Woodson is just an average coach, superior talent can beat a lot of inferior teams.  I don't think anyone on this thread wants a repeat of this year and missing the tournament.  I will point out that we lost 6 of 12 players from our 2023-2024 roster, so we did lose 50%. 

Just now, JF87 said:

Happy three starters are returning because as much as I think Mike Woodson is just an average coach, superior talent can beat a lot of inferior teams.  I don't think anyone on this thread wants a repeat of this year and missing the tournament.  I will point out that we lost 6 of 12 players from our 2023-2024 roster, so we did lose 50%. 

You could argue 4 starters are returning. Cupps started quite a bit as a freshman 

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

The problem is replacing ware or changing the system. I don’t believe he changes the system, so Woody has to have an NBA caliber 5 or it gets real ugly next year. Maybe he will change his system and modernize, but I’m skeptical. It’s pretty clear MR and MM were made promises to be developed as 4 and 3 respectively. I am guessing Tucker wants to be a 2. I’ll be shocked if he isn’t looking for a starter level 5 right now.

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

You could argue 4 starters are returning. Cupps started quite a bit as a freshman 

Yes, I thought about that.  I think Woodson considered Xavier the starter, but Cupps ended up starting because of circumstances.  Does anyone think Cupps starts at point guard this year?  No, that's why I said three.  

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Depends on who they get or don’t get in the portal 

There's going to be a lot of unhappy people on this board if we don't bring in a point guard to play in front of Cupps.  I like Cupps, but he should be a rotational player until his junior or senior years imo.  

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

There's going to be a lot of unhappy people on this board if we don't bring in a point guard to play in front of Cupps.  I like Cupps, but he should be a rotational player until his junior or senior years imo.  

We really do need to add more threats from the perimeter and a high end PG seems to make the most sense.  A very high end scoring 2 guard who plays great defense with Gallo at the point would improve on where we were last year too but I prefer the high end PG addition. 

2 hours ago, IH8PU said:

That's the "Million Dollar" question ... but how much of that NIL $6M is left  ?????

Just a guesstimate.  

Reneau 750k, MgBako 750k, Tucker 700K, Galloway 350K, Cupps 150K, Leal 125K, Newton 75K=  $2.9 million.

So, we should have about 3 million left to get a starting point guard, starting center, backup center, and a backup shooting guard and at least two guys to sit on the bench. 

29 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Yes, I thought about that.  I think Woodson considered Xavier the starter, but Cupps ended up starting because of circumstances.  Does anyone think Cupps starts at point guard this year?  No, that's why I said three.  

I say "no", except that we need to see what Woodson does with "recruiting" in the portal. Woodson may be forced to start Cupps at point.

10 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Just a guesstimate.  

Reneau 750k, MgBako 750k, Tucker 700K, Galloway 350K, Cupps 150K, Leal 125K, Newton 75K=  $2.9 million.

So, we should have about 3 million left to get a starting point guard, starting center, backup center, and a backup shooting guard and at least two guys to sit on the bench. 

I've seen reports (take it for what it's worth) that Leal is pushing $300K... and IF that's true, that should push Gallo and Cupps up the scale a bit. Since there's no official "disclosure", it's all speculation, but you never know.

I hope Cupps plays sparingly next year, but I think he can work his way into a role if he becomes a great catch and shoot threat. If he can stay active moving off the ball and continues improving as a shooter, I think he may be more effective in that role than as a primary ball handler/playmaker. 

10 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I hope Cupps plays sparingly next year, but I think he can work his way into a role if he becomes a great catch and shoot threat. If he can stay active moving off the ball and continues improving as a shooter, I think he may be more effective in that role than as a primary ball handler/playmaker. 

If Cupps has to play big minutes or start next year we are in trouble. He needs spot minutes situationally.