Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

And they would get smoked. In fairness you didn’t say you’d build a winner just build a team. 

It would probably mean I’d making a lot of money.

4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

How much work did Woodson actually do. Who negotiated the million dollar salary with ballo? I am guessing not Woodson. 

Somebody else needs to weigh in on this because I'm not 100% confident but from things I've read, I don't believe the school, i.e., coaches can do the actual negotiating.  That's done directly between the athlete and the collective.

2 minutes ago, Class of said:
Somebody else needs to weigh in on this because I'm not 100% confident but from things I've read, I don't believe the school, i.e., coaches can do the actual negotiating.  That's done directly between the athlete and the collective.

So, Woodson didn't even dangle the check! What has he done besides tell us that he's doing his job?

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Very weird...you're correct here, but I read your post then immediately had this come up on Twitter:

I agree. Maybe it was the right coach at the wrong time. Would be he most IU thing ever. Sampson was the right coach but screwed it up. 
Yep on both. As bad as archie was pre nil think about him with nil and unlimited transfers. He has that defense that takes years to learn and guys bolt programs yearly now. I have to think he will continue yo do very poorly as a coach. He is not at all the right kind of coach in the nil era.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

So, Woodson didn't even dangle the check! What has he done besides tell us that he's doing his job?
Why do you think Woodson went out of his way to thank the nil guy at senior night. Woodson just needs to show up on game day. He can chill the rest of the time .

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Yes and no.  It's the Collective's money -- so they control the purse strings.  But the coach is essentially "The Boss" -- telling them who to spend in on and how much.  They essentially work hand in hand, although it is technically against the rules.  NCAA has basically been neutered.  

27 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Very weird...you're correct here, but I read your post then immediately had this come up on Twitter:

Hate to say it, but letting politicians write and pass these bills is going to create a big mess.  Law of unintended consequences will come into play.   It's one thing to have "Friends of the Program" pay the kids.  I can see using school funds becoming a real issues to the general public.  

Sure, but VA Legislature says "hold my beer."  :) 

And it’s just a matter of time until other states’ legislatures follow suit. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any messier…

5 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

Didn't quite see a denial in there. Rooting for the Celtics this postseason. 

My thoughts too...definitely a different tenor than last time.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Hate to say it, but letting politicians write and pass these bills is going to create a big mess.  Law of unintended consequences will come into play.   It's one thing to have "Friends of the Program" pay the kids.  I can see using school funds becoming a real issues to the general public.  

It’s been heading this way for awhile now if it’s a topic that you’ve followed consistently. Essentially the schools paying is going to end up being revenue sharing through the tv contracts. Which are not going to be tax payer money but commercial is revenues from the athletic departments tv contracts. Which is the revenue that the players are helping make possible. 

What I don’t agree with is when I hear people say once there is revenue sharing that there won’t be a need for NIL. I think what will happen is the SEC and Big Ten will have the best base salaries bc their tv deals are bigger than the rest. But then you’ll have Joe Blow used car lot owner in Tuscaloosa providing extra incentives for a player to go to Bama. Sort of like the old under the table, against the NCAA rules, type NIL. 

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

It’s been heading this way for awhile now if it’s a topic that you’ve followed consistently. Essentially the schools paying is going to end up being revenue sharing through the tv contracts. Which are not going to be tax payer money but commercial is revenues from the athletic departments tv contracts. Which is the revenue that the players are helping make possible. 

What I don’t agree with is when I hear people say once there is revenue sharing that there won’t be a need for NIL. I think what will happen is the SEC and Big Ten will have the best base salaries bc their tv deals are bigger than the rest. But then you’ll have Joe Blow used car lot owner in Tuscaloosa providing extra incentives for a player to go to Bama. Sort of like the old under the table, against the NCAA rules, type NIL. 

Yeah, I agree with that.  But I think politically, they might have to "spin-off" the athletic departments, or at least Football/Basketball.  While it is TV money and not taxpayer money, money is fungible.  It's going to be a tough sell for these kids to get paid professional salaries, from a taxpayer funded educational institution.  They'll be the highest paid people associated with the University, except for a few coaches.  Once the tax paying public wakes up, look out.  

As for NIL, that's a court decision and is here to stay.  Student Athletes will always be able to sell their NIL for money to help the local establishments.  The big money slush funds may go away though.  

7 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Crean didn't have a cool 6 million to spend.  I think Crean would be pretty good in the NIL era.

Crean coached 6/1000 point scores on one team and couldn’t get to a final four. Did less with more unlike any other.

13 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah, I agree with that.  But I think politically, they might have to "spin-off" the athletic departments, or at least Football/Basketball.  While it is TV money and not taxpayer money, money is fungible.  It's going to be a tough sell for these kids to get paid professional salaries, from a taxpayer funded educational institution.  They'll be the highest paid people associated with the University, except for a few coaches.  Once the tax paying public wakes up, look out.  

As for NIL, that's a court decision and is here to stay.  Student Athletes will always be able to sell their NIL for money to help the local establishments.  The big money slush funds may go away though.  

Yeah I can’t see athletes in non revenue sports getting paid. So a spin off will have to happen. Also to get around Title IX. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'm little scared because he said the Celtics have to get over the hump

Hypothetically, how would you feel about Dolson NOT going after a new coach this spring bc he/they sincerely believed they could land Br@d $teven$ NEXT spring? Would that change your perspective or lighten any of your criticisms of the admin?