Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Wisconsin - Friday, 01.19.24 @ 8:30 ET on FS1

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

On a dialed down basis without frustration driving my thinking, I think a lot of the “product” we’re seeing on the floor highlights how much we miss JHS - or a comparable guard.

TJD was outstanding, but Ware’s pretty damn good, if we had JHS right now (and with Bako on the wing) we’d be a lot better.

Blame lays squarely on Woodson and staff imo for failing to go out and get guards knowing JHS was very likely gone and seeing how many games his play - and scoring- was critical to our W’s. The 2 big up front game doesn’t work Woodson, it’s not the 80’s. 

Frustrated as I am too though, I’m in the camp that doesn’t see another coaching change this quickly - 3 years - as either likely or a good idea. Think he’ll get another off-season and season to see if he rights the ship (assuming this season continues off the rails).
Portal can mske a big difference in 1 season, but it has to be playmaking / scoring guards and the outside game has to be part of it.

Woodson can get all the talented guards in the world but he has to CHANGE his system….which so far, there is zero indication he will. If he doesn’t, it won’t make a difference. 

Good thing it's a full week before our next game and even then Ware may be questionable.  From the Indy Star.
Indiana coach Mike Woodson told reporters after the game he didn't have a timeline for Ware's return to the lineup.  "He came down on somebody's foot and turned his ankle," Woodson said. "It blew up on us."
Would not be stunned if he sits out the rest of the year at this point. He probably won't risk further injury for the NBA draft.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Just now, Hornsby said:

Would not be stunned if he sits out the rest of the year at this point. He probably won't risk further injury for the NBA draft.

Again, that’s my fear.  I can see that happening.  Feels like the team is going nowhere and doesn’t want to jeopardize serious injury.  Again, that’s why I don’t like to recruit 5* recruits, their only objective is 1 and done.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Woodson can get all the talented guards in the world but he has to CHANGE his system….which so far, there is zero indication he will. If he doesn’t, it won’t make a difference. 

I don't necessarily disagree. I’ve been one of the loudest critics of the failure to build an outside game, but it’s too early, imo

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I know everyone is supposed to hate on all of it at this point but… 

I can’t get behind this one that so many are upset with.  I think it is more of a wish for 4 out 1 in than reality of this roster and yes, the matchup.

We were worse with Sparks off the floor. What options did he have? Gunn or Walker right? Both played terrible all game. They would have been eaten up. 

Our offense may be “ugly” but that wasn’t the issue.  It is all defensive rotations which also hurt us getting out in transition more. It is Trey not being able to defend and communicate on their hottest guy. 

I also think we looked way better in last 10 min with X. Yes, mop up time, he sucks yada yada but he was finding his groove again and him playing that way is much better for this team.

Lastly, it was an UGLY game. Gunn was baited 100%. It wasn’t even a love ball and he is using him as dishrag to run his sweat off his forward. Exactly what he was doing. Should have just got in his face and yelled for the ref. However, they didn’t fold more than once without Ware in a place they have won in over 20 years. Yes, that is trying hard to see positive but it is there.

Does that mean they turn it around, nope. But I actually could see it and wouldn’t be that shocked. 

I get the anger and frustration for sure. 

This I agree with 100%. It’s ugly for sure. A dynamic point guard and probably another shooter and this would look a lot different. We don’t have that right now and ultimately that is on Woody at the end of the day. But it’s something that COULD be fixed this offseason. We will see. 

Edited by JB_Nomee

54 minutes ago, JB_Nomee said:

This I agree with 100%. It’s ugly for sure. A dynamic point guard and probably another shooter and this would look a lot different. We don’t have that right now and ultimately that is on Woody at the end of the day. But it’s something that COULD be fixed this offseason. We will see. 

A good PG and a shooter or two may well fix the basketball side, but it does nothing to address the accountability or the culture of the team... not sure what the fix is for that part without a regime change.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Again, that’s my fear.  I can see that happening.  Feels like the team is going nowhere and doesn’t want to jeopardize serious injury.  Again, that’s why I don’t like to recruit 5* recruits, their only objective is 1 and done.

Maybe you will turn out to be correct but what leads you to believe this? I read he badly turned his ankle. Do you have info that he is shutting it down for the rest of the year?

I don’t think we should only go after 5* players but should we have not gone after 5* like Jeffries, Eric Gordon, Cody, Yogi, JHS, Bryant, etc. ?  

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Maybe you will turn out to be correct but what leads you to believe this? I read he badly turned his ankle. Do you have info that he is shutting it down for the rest of the year?

I don’t think we should only go after 5* players but should we have not gone after 5* like Jeffries, Eric Gordon, Cody, Yogi, JHS, Bryant, etc. ?  

Naaahh all those guys suck —

:)

17 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

One person speculated this earlier today and I've already seen it parroted about four or five times elsewhere. It's crazy how fast this stuff travels these days. 

21 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

No info!  Just a feeling because that’s his entire focus and I really wish we would stay away from one and done players.  The transfer portal is going to be bad enough to maintain a roster, one and done players compounds it, plus Woodson doesn’t seem real good at roster construction 

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

No info!  Just a feeling because that’s his entire focus and I really wish we would stay away from one and done players.  The transfer portal is going to be bad enough to maintain a roster, one and done players compounds it, plus Woodson doesn’t seem real good at roster construction 

How do you know "that's his entire focus?" That seems like an unfair generalization. 

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Because that’s exactly what he said last year.   He was playing them because he had to but would change it up after TJD left.    Clearly he lied( as a lot of coaches do)

That's kind of the issue.  Dude says one thing, but the goes and does another.  

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Is the system a function of the players or of the coach?  I mean, really what "system" is he running?  Seems to me, he would want to play inside out.  Option 1 is to get it inside and let the big go to work, as the defense collapses, pass it outside and put up a three, or pass around and drive as the defense comes out of the middle.  We have the big.  We don't have the shooter, nor the kid that can really drive and take it to the rim.  And when they get the chance to shoot or drive, they wet their pants and put up a brick or turn the ball over.  

51 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

"5*" are great additions to a team.  But you need that core of 3s and 4s that you develop over 4 years.  You can't win consistently with the lack of continuity that "5*s" and portal players bring.  

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

How do you know "that's his entire focus?" That seems like an unfair generalization. 

Maybe but he wanted to be 1 and done last year and he made comments to get to the next level, which is why he transferred and he was around 12-18 after December in most mock drafts but since the full slate of B10 games have started, he has slightly dropped in the mock drafts to around 22–28.  If he keeps playing this timid against B10 centers, I can see his draft stock drop even more so he could be thinking that.  I hope not but you wouldn’t blame him because that is millions of dollars he will be losing and it’s not like we are trending upward and in most brackets

Bob Knight 1987 “Wisconsin came out to beat somebody and we just came out to play basketball.”  After loss to Wisconsin after 31 straight victories from 1980 to 1997.

And in 2000 I am sure Myles Brand blames B.K. for starting this 20 game losing streak vs on Wisconsin’s home floor….how things have changed.

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Maybe but he wanted to be 1 and done last year and he made comments to get to the next level, which is why he transferred and he was around 12-18 after December in most mock drafts but since the full slate of B10 games have started, he has slightly dropped in the mock drafts to around 22–28.  If he keeps playing this timid against B10 centers, I can see his draft stock drop even more so he could be thinking that.  I hope not but you wouldn’t blame him because that is millions of dollars he will be losing and it’s not like we are trending upward and in most brackets

What player wouldn’t want to be a one and done if they had the potential to earn a hefty paycheck?  

7 hours ago, Hornsby said:

I’m not sure he would stay in the first round if he missed the rest of the season with an injured ankle.  Biggest knock on him is that he has the rep of not going hard all the time and only missing half of the year with a twisted ankle wouldn’t help change that.

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

What player wouldn’t want to be a one and done if they had the potential to earn a hefty paycheck?  

Everyone but that’s kind of my point.  He’s trending out of the 1st round.  The way that he’s been playing against B10 centers, he could very well trend out.  Just my opinion