Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Would he help in recruiting with all the racist emails he sent out

^^That would be unhelpful^^

But long-time successful NFL head coach would be very helpful, and probably override the unhelpful element in the minds of most recruits.

30 minutes ago, SameoldIU said:

Totally different landscape now then in the times before the late 1999's.  It used to be very difficult to get into a bowl game.  There were not many bowl games and you actually had to be good.  Now you win 6 games and you are bowl eligible.  

IU on line one.  :) 

I personally just can’t get behind a Candle hire.  I will still support him and the team and would hope he proves me wrong but I just think that’s a classic IU hire.  You need to be ready for the new BIG and the fresh competition while taking advantage of the dissolved divisions.  I would really prefer a power 5 experienced coach or an up and coming OC like the guy at Washington.

9 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I personally just can’t get behind a Candle hire.  I will still support him and the team and would hope he proves me wrong but I just think that’s a classic IU hire.  You need to be ready for the new BIG and the fresh competition while taking advantage of the dissolved divisions.  I would really prefer a power 5 experienced coach or an up and coming OC like the guy at Washington.

Name me a previous IU hire who has remotely resembled Candle's resume.

The only one with a generally similar background in the past 75 years has been Hoeppner, who was probably one of the best hires.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Name me a previous IU hire who has remotely resembled Candle's resume.

The only one with a similar background in the past 50 years has been Hoeppner, who was probably one of the best hires.

I would also throw in Bill Mallory.  

52 minutes ago, SameoldIU said:

Totally different landscape now then in the times before the late 1999's.  It used to be very difficult to get into a bowl game.  There were not many bowl games and you actually had to be good.  Now you win 6 games and you are bowl eligible.  

It’s certainly a different landscape, but how much did being at a school like Northwestern hurt his ability to adapt to the new landscape? Both with NIL and with admissions? NU has an acceptance rate of 7%. There’s some wiggle room with athletes, but it’d be a different story at IU. 

And hey I’ll admit that I don’t know a lot of the names being thrown around (I like the mention of Whisky’s old coach), so maybe there are far better realistic options out there. 

Here’s my issue with a guy like Paul Chryst despite having success and a good run at Wisconsin: he’s never built a program.

Chryst was groomed to coach Wisconsin after playing there and previously coaching there before being sent off to Pittsburgh where he was decidedly average. He walked into a good-standing program with a well-established culture, a culture he was all too familiar with and once helped foster. He didn’t run the program into the ground as one poster put it, but Wisconsin’s play certainly leveled off to a degree and the Wisky administration wasn’t going to let it get worse.

I have no doubt about Chryst’s ability to coach. But can he build? That I’m not sure. There’s documented instances of Chryst’s disdain for recruiting and inability to be flexible with his offense. For Chryst to work at IU he’s going to have to surround himself with an elite offensive coordinator and one that can recruit. And IU’s going have to pony up the $$$ to either keep that OC or consistently get the hire right. I could get behind a Chryst hire where Sean Lewis (Wisconsin grad) is named OC and Jim Leonhard and Chryst reunite which would mean a strong possibility that Bostad is retained, but I’m not sure IU is committed to that type of pool unless Chryst is taking the job at a discount.