Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUFootballEndlessMisery

They Fired Walt Bell

Never really knew much about Carey but he seemed to have a good thing going at Northern Illinois.  "Carey would go 52–30 at the helm of the Huskies and won two Mid-American Conference championships and four MAC West Division titles. Carey also defeated four Big Ten Conference opponents during his tenure" Then he left for ... Temple.  At Temple he had 1 good year, covid then a really bad year and was fired.  

Anyone know why he left Northern Illinois for Temple? Seems lateral at best.

31 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Never really knew much about Carey but he seemed to have a good thing going at Northern Illinois.  "Carey would go 52–30 at the helm of the Huskies and won two Mid-American Conference championships and four MAC West Division titles. Carey also defeated four Big Ten Conference opponents during his tenure" Then he left for ... Temple.  At Temple he had 1 good year, covid then a really bad year and was fired.  

Anyone know why he left Northern Illinois for Temple? Seems lateral at best.

Looks like he was making between 600-700 a year at NIU as of his last extension and 2 million at Temple when he got hired. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Looks like he was making between 600-700 a year at NIU as of his last extension and 2 million at Temple when he got hired. 

2 million at Temple.

That took a second to process.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Well that would be tempting then for sure.  Hopefully we get the NIU version of him

2 hours ago, Demo said:

This is a prime example of the Sunk Cost Fallacy. No way Allen will get fired at the end of this year, and even next year it will be a stretch as they will owe Carey 800k, pushing the overall staff buyout to almost $9M. This makes no sense. Just sad, sad time to be IUFB fan as I don't think Carey will be worth this amount. Hope to be proven wrong, but I truly believe our most recent success was based off Deboer's offensive creativity more than anything else. 

Carey was on staff when they decided to hire Bell right so that creates some doubt.  Why not hire him since you already knew of his abilities.  However, TA has not made the best hires or lack of fires recently so maybe...

1 hour ago, DireBump said:

This is a prime example of the Sunk Cost Fallacy. No way Allen will get fired at the end of this year, and even next year it will be a stretch as they will owe Carey 800k, pushing the overall staff buyout to almost $9M. This makes no sense. Just sad, sad time to be IUFB fan as I don't think Carey will be worth this amount. Hope to be proven wrong, but I truly believe our most recent success was based off Deboer's offensive creativity more than anything else. 

Between this and Allen's contract, it shows that IU might actually be ready to start spending money on football. Allen's contract shows they don't pick the right people to spend that money on, though. TBD with Carey's contract.

Now if they'd just be willing to spend money on the ridiculous Allen buyout after this season and then have a real coaching search... won't happen but one can dream.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

From not good enough for the position at the start of the year to highest paid assistant in program history 5 games later lol. IUFB things. 

41 minutes ago, WhiteyMcSpeed said:

Just another bad decision by the IU administration and head coach, Lets start the Fire Scott Dolson Thread 

I wonder if this is Tom Allen’s choice, or if Dolson is setting up for Carey to be the interim head coach based on what he’s hearing from other sources in the program.

@Hovadipo?

47 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I wonder if this is Tom Allen’s choice, or if Dolson is setting up for Carey to be the interim head coach based on what he’s hearing from other sources in the program.

@Hovadipo?

Was wondering the same thing, and if so does this cause a weird relationship between CTA and Carey?

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

@Hovadipo?

Big ole shrug from me. My gut says this is a TA move, considering how little sense it makes, but I also could see the logic in Scott starting to move chess pieces around.

The problem is it just seems really transparent to TA and would cause some unnecessary, weird tension in there. If you’re gonna do that and throw a bunch of toxicity into the program, just can him you know?