Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ebridges24

Xavier and Race

This appears to be the form, or a version of it. Take this with the Bylaw @BleedCubbieBlue brought up and I think we have solved a bit of a mystery this morning.

Note the following:

Reason(s) for Denial:
(if applicable, check all that apply)

-Participation exceeded three or 30 percent limit
-Injury/Illness occurred in the second half of the season
-Competition in the second half of the season
-Lack of contemporaneous medical documentation from treating physician demonstrating incapacitation

Based on the Hoosier Classic bylaw exclusion, X can’t be denied for the first three of the four above. We can assume IU has copious medical documentation. So he should not meet any condition of denial.

Just now, lillurk said:

This appears to be the form, or a version of it. Take this with the Bylaw @BleedCubbieBlue brought up and I think we have solved a bit of a mystery this morning.

Note the following:

Reason(s) for Denial:
(if applicable, check all that apply)

-Participation exceeded three or 30 percent limit
-Injury/Illness occurred in the second half of the season
-Competition in the second half of the season
-Lack of contemporaneous medical documentation from treating physician demonstrating incapacitation

Based on the Hoosier Classic bylaw exclusion, X can’t be denied for the first three of the four above. We can assume IU has copious medical documentation. So he should not meet any condition of denial.

Well, I’ll be happy he’s back.  But…

Depending on his health, that had to be a tough calculation for the staff. A healthy XJ wouldve helped our defense quite a bit at the least, one would have to think.  

1 hour ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

It is in the medical hardship waiver application. When you are completing the application, it instructs you to "Exclude preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages that do not count toward the use of a season of competition as well as Bylaw 17 annual exemptions, except for the conference championship and other postseason competition which must be counted." If X would have played in the Big Ten Tournament, I believe that would have had to be counted and would have put him over the 30% threshold.

If Xavier had participated in the B1G tournament, it would've disqualified him from a medical waiver regardless of number of games played. Another criterium is that all the games played in must be in the early part of the season. IIRC, it is the first 1/2 of the season.

Going back to the Stephanie Soares denial --

she had played in 13 games.  Only two of her games were in a multi-event.  So 31 regular season games, but only 29 would have counted.  Two of the 13 games she played in would also not have counted toward her total, but that would have put her at 11 of 29 -- 38%.  

Makes sense going forward to keep the Hoosier classic (or some other multi team event) if -- for nothing else -- eligibility reasons.

Was really curious, so I listened to the much-anticipated Hoosier Hysterics podcast. 

I think folks jumped to conclusions -- within the first 2-3 minutes, X said he hasn't heard from the NCAA about his waiver yet. So while he wants to come back, there's no guarantee the powers that be will allow it. 

Wonder what the timetable on the NCAA making the call on X is? While I'm like everyone else, and getting antsy about Ledlum and Knecht -- these are their decisions and they need to take their time and do what's right for them. 

But as far as X -- that's in the NCAA's hands, and it seems like they should let IU know what's up, so we can know how to construct our roster for next season. If they deny him, and with JHS gone -- we'd be in trouble. 

I'm guessing the staff has an idea we'll be OK, but still ... it'd be nice to have the confirmation from the big boys in Indy.

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wonder what the timetable on the NCAA making the call on X is? While I'm like everyone else, and getting antsy about Ledlum and Knecht -- these are their decisions and they need to take their time and do what's right for them. 

But as far as X -- that's in the NCAA's hands, and it seems like they should let IU know what's up, so we can know how to construct our roster for next season. If they deny him, and with JHS gone -- we'd be in trouble. 

I'm guessing the staff has an idea we'll be OK, but still ... it'd be nice to have the confirmation from the big boys in Indy.

NCAA operates on its own timetable. I hope we know by August.  

23 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

A couple of days before the season opener. What happens if we just play him and tell the NCAA to go kick rocks?

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

A couple of days before the season opener. What happens if we just play him and tell the NCAA to go kick rocks?

I think that is way closer to reality then hearing anything within the next month. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think that is way closer to reality then hearing anything within the next month. 

Pros and cons to this. If they deny it over the summer there is a bit of a roar and it's over. If they deny near the season there is more backlash over it. I truly hope the staff has a good feel to what is likely to happen.