Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2022/23 IUFB Offseason News

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Go ahead and celebrate

#13 QB and #198 player in his class, dual threat, huge upside, and while completely unproven at least he doesn't have any record of being crappy (lol)! Damn straight I'm gonna be happy about this. 

Tom Allen is having a really good offseason, both with the OL coaching hire and the portal.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

#13 QB and #198 player in his class, dual threat, huge upside, and while completely unproven at least he doesn't have any record of being crappy (lol)? Damn straight I'm gonna be happy about this. 

Tom Allen is having a really good offseason, both with the OL coaching hire and the portal.

Plus 4 years of eligibility. 

He'll be able to grow with this team at least. Fine with mistakes as this year will likely not be great anyhow and just want to see promise and progression from Jackson. About as good as we could've hoped for honestly.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean... could this mean TJD comes back!?! haha I might have just opened a can of worms. 

Anything is possible if he gets a big enough NIL offer. Unless he can shoot from outside (not proven at all that he can) his NBA prospects aren't great. Thomas Bryant proved though you can develop a jumper later. 

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

Anything is possible if he gets a big enough NIL offer. Unless he can shoot from outside (not proven at all that he can) his NBA prospects aren't great. Thomas Bryant proved though you can develop a jumper later. 

Thomas Bryant was 28-75 for over 37% from 3 pt at IU. 

Trayce is 0-3.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Thomas Bryant was 28-75 for over 37% from 3 pt at IU. 

Trayce is 0-3.

23-60 his last year. I am not saying Trayce is or will do that. First and foremost Woody has to let him though. That's my biggest beef with Woody. You have to actually coach, run plays or tell players to do stuff in college. This isn't the NBA where players will just find their own. 

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

23-60 his last year. I am not saying Trayce is or will do that. First and foremost Woody has to let him. 

I don’t think it’s Woody holding him back from shooting them. 
TJD just doesn’t seem comfortable/confident shooting them in games. For that matter, forget 3 pointers, he rarely shoots beyond 8 feet.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t think it’s Woody holding him back from shooting them. 
TJD just doesn’t seem comfortable/confident shooting them in games. For that matter, forget 3 pointers, he rarely shoots beyond 8 feet.

That's my point though. Woody needs to MAKE him take them and should have been doing that last year. That's development. That's coaching. He wants to play in the NBA, he needs to develop an outside shot. Woody wants to coach basketball. You have to make players do stuff. You can't just setup one type of game plan for the entire game. "If they start clogging the middle, we're going to light them up from the outside." That's exactly what Archie didn't do. Adjust the game plan based on the other team's game plan. And sometimes you have to anticipate what they are going to do first, then come out with something different. IU and TJD for that matter are better when they are playing fast. And he needed to start shooting last year and definitely should have been doing it earlier this year. 

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

That's my point though. Woody needs to MAKE him take them and should have been doing that last year. That's development. That's coaching. 

I agree with that.  
Making him take them vs “letting” him take them (your first post) are two different things.

I haven’t lived in IN for years and don’t follow IN HS football. Obviously, based on his ranking, Tayven had a great HS career but I have seen posts calling him a duel threat and 247 lists him as a pro-style QB. Which is it and was he an accurate HS passer? Strengths? 

7 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I haven’t lived in IN for years and don’t follow IN HS football. Obviously, based on his ranking, Tayven had a great HS career but I have seen posts calling him a duel threat and 247 lists him as a pro-style QB. Which is it and was he an accurate HS passer? Strengths? 

Well.. first of all, he played on a LOADED team. I would not categorize him as a dual-threat QB, but he is a much better athlete than Bazelak. Better athlete than Tuttle, as well. 

His legs would resemble... maybe McCarthy at Michigans. You still have to account for them, imo. I mean, he is a modern Pro-Style QB, in my eyes... I don't see anyway, in any offense, you can play a statue like Matt Ryan or Bazelak. Ramsey ish.. but maybe not quite as fast. Yes, he is accurate. Through his SO year, I think they were exclusively Wing T (under center)... but I believe his JR and SR they did opened it up more. 

7 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

From my understanding (and I think btownqb might have more info) CG went from a traditional option offense to a spread look to let him sling it. Completion % over 60 over his 3 years as a starter. Not a ton of rushing yards/attempts, but I think they were smashing folks more often than not.

Edit: yeah, like he said lol

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

From my understanding (and I think btownqb might have more info) CG went from a traditional option offense to a spread look to let him sling it. Completion % over 60 over his 3 years as a starter. Not a ton of rushing yards/attempts, but I think they were smashing folks more often than not.

Edit: yeah, like he said lol

Truly believe this was out of the coaching staff being smart with one of their thoroughbreds. There were simply games/situations that as a HS coach, you just aren't going to run your QB. Especially a D1 guy, ya know? 

CG didn't exactly have to sweat out a lot of their games. His running wasn't needed is my point. 

Not that you were saying to the contrary... just wanted to build on what you were saying.