Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Boogie Fland to Kentucky

After a day to reflect. It sucks to lose a very highly prioritized guard. Especially to Kentucky.

But, we have about 10 playable positions. Galloway and Cupps will be back almost certainly.

Transfer portal is always the saving grace because in the Crean days today would be panic time.

Now, we can regroup, get our Nil efforts ready to roll and find our pieces in the Spring and maybe/probably get a more mature PG in the mix.

I’d still like to get Queen and I’m not sure where we stand there but if we get McNeeley/Queen it’s a very solid group.

Adam Howard’s DreamBig24 goes to TransferSZN but not all hope is lost.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

New names will pop up in spring after coaching changes and transfers. That includes Fland.

This will forever be the death of me getting excited about social media happenings during recruitments. Completely worthless to read too much into follows and such.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

New names will pop up in spring after coaching changes and transfers. That includes Fland.

This will forever be the death of me getting excited about social media happenings during recruitments. Completely worthless to read too much into follows and such.

Sorry, this post started out with a short message, then I got carried away…..Please forgive me, I believe I’ve had too much coffee! Here goes…… Lol

- This is my only social media. I’m 55 years old and enjoy the simple things in life. I don’t do Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or Tiktok….I only have a Facebook account because my wife and two daughters are always sharing beautiful photos/videos of my 3 wonderful grandchildren. I have vices like everyone does, but I choose to have my top social media of choices be HSN and BTB. 

- The point to all this is, because of all these various social media platforms, kids choices and decisions are so much more difficult to make these days. They are constantly being pulled one direction or another, moods/feelings change from one day to the next and outside influences factor in too. I imagine this was what Boogie may have been going through when he called off all coaches visits prior to his commitment. 

- I mean, Trilly mentioned he thought it was IU up until that Wednesday evening. I really wonder what the major, defining factor that had Boogie choosing the dark side? He mentioned the facilities and their convenience for players, Cal being funny and genuinely caring about his players. 
Was it a strong “used car salesman pitch” from Cal that lured him in or something as simple as the facilities or both? 

- I seriously think IU needs to take notes from some of these recruits, especially if praising player facilities and convenience are mentioned in the same sentence by a recruit. JMO! Lol

The End! 

45 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Sorry, this post started out with a short message, then I got carried away…..Please forgive me, I believe I’ve had too much coffee! Here goes…… Lol

- This is my only social media. I’m 55 years old and enjoy the simple things in life. I don’t do Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or Tiktok….I only have a Facebook account because my wife and two daughters are always sharing beautiful photos/videos of my 3 wonderful grandchildren. I have vices like everyone does, but I choose to have my top social media of choices be HSN and BTB. 

- The point to all this is, because of all these various social media platforms, kids choices and decisions are so much more difficult to make these days. They are constantly being pulled one direction or another, moods/feelings change from one day to the next and outside influences factor in too. I imagine this was what Boogie may have been going through when he called off all coaches visits prior to his commitment. 

- I mean, Trilly mentioned he thought it was IU up until that Wednesday evening. I really wonder what the major, defining factor that had Boogie choosing the dark side? He mentioned the facilities and their convenience for players, Cal being funny and genuinely caring about his players. 
Was it a strong “used car salesman pitch” from Cal that lured him in or something as simple as the facilities or both? 

- I seriously think IU needs to take notes from some of these recruits, especially if praising player facilities and convenience are mentioned in the same sentence by a recruit. JMO! Lol

The End! 

A long list of high end guards going pro helps a lot.  We see him as a slimey used car salesman, but recruits Fland's age see that Cal's guards go on to make a lot of money.

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Does anyone off hand know of a guard in college with a brother or dad that played for Woody?

could be reading way to much into this but Goodman posted about how IU is in good shape, good NIL, recruiting momentum etc. said they can land an even better or equal guard to Boogie in portal but “might need a hook like Gonzaga had with Nembard” - Nembard went there looking for better development like “his brother got” fir NBA. 

Slater also liked this post by him. 

could be taking it too literal but these guys tend to hear rumblings and may already have a target in mind. Sure staff could as well if that is the case and further proves they didn’t miss “with no backup plan” 

In other words…

“It’s not who you miss on, it’s who you get.”

16 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Does anyone off hand know of a guard in college with a brother or dad that played for Woody?

could be reading way to much into this but Goodman posted about how IU is in good shape, good NIL, recruiting momentum etc. said they can land an even better or equal guard to Boogie in portal but “might need a hook like Gonzaga had with Nembard” - Nembard went there looking for better development like “his brother got” fir NBA. 

could be taking it too literal but these guys tend to hear rumblings and may already have a target in mind. Sure staff could as well if that is the case and further proves they didn’t miss “with no backup plan” 

And keep in mind that Goodman has previously been very negative toward IU.  

All I know is that when Woodson came in, pretty much everyone on the team was entering the transfer portal and all of the important pieces (except Armaan Franklin) came back + incoming recruits recommitted.  And this spring when it looked like we really were set to lose a lot of talent and not being bringing in much, IU was able to bring in one of the premier rated transfer player, a five star decommit, a useful big man who could surprise, an a depth player.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

A long list of high end guards going pro helps a lot.  We see him as a slimey used car salesman, but recruits Fland's age see that Cal's guards go on to make a lot of money.

That’s fair

After a day to reflect. It sucks to lose a very highly prioritized guard. Especially to Kentucky.

But, we have about 10 playable positions. Galloway and Cupps will be back almost certainly.

Transfer portal is always the saving grace because in the Crean days today would be panic time.

Now, we can regroup, get our Nil efforts ready to roll and find our pieces in the Spring and maybe/probably get a more mature PG in the mix.

I’d still like to get Queen and I’m not sure where we stand there but if we get McNeeley/Queen it’s a very solid group.

Adam Howard’s DreamBig24 goes to TransferSZN but not all hope is lost.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
We need to have a big year 22-25 wins and a sweet sixteen hopefully. We cannot regress or that will be a tougher sell to recruits going into year 4 imo.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Can’t think of 1 off hand. That feels really fanciful to me on Goodman’s part. Fland’s a lottery-level player. Guys better than him aren’t going into the portal. They’re going into the draft. But that doesn’t mean they can’t find a really useful kid. They’re gonna have to, be it portal or late recruitment. 

16 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Small thing I noticed today for those who care in the future. Cuban did unfollow him. So while it might not mean lock, seems as though it was very close to that and something changed last minute as Trilly said. 

good indication for future that if/when he does it is at the finish line. 

Come on it wasn't a small thing you noticed, you have been refreshing Cuban's following list since last Friday.  So you can say see I told you so LOL...I'm just messing around. 

On 10/21/2023 at 10:46 AM, RaceToTheTop said:

And keep in mind that Goodman has previously been very negative toward IU.  

All I know is that when Woodson came in, pretty much everyone on the team was entering the transfer portal and all of the important pieces (except Armaan Franklin) came back + incoming recruits recommitted.  And this spring when it looked like we really were set to lose a lot of talent and not being bringing in much, IU was able to bring in one of the premier rated transfer player, a five star decommit, a useful big man who could surprise, an a depth player.

Goodman has been pretty positive about IU for a while now... about since his daughter enrolled as a student last year, lol.  He's been much more tolerable in the last year or so when talking IU.