Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Rutgers - 03/02/22 @ 7:00 on BTN

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Vs what.  If I am a top coach, and I am getting that $7m from any school, why pick run of the mill IU.   Good coaches know they are good.  They won't be settlilng.  

Imagine you're IU athletics.... You're Fred Glass or Scott Dolson.. You know you're firing your head coach in 1 or 2 years.... How do you make the job more attractive? Do you PAY up, start facilities upgrades (even if just planned), new licensing agreement with Nike, Better Scheduling, Donors who can facilitate bag boys, and 10 other small things you could do?...

Or do you pay an average salary, not make the job any more attractive because "Its Indiana"...

Its not that IU isn't attractive because of external factors that we can't control... It's not attractive because our admin isn't making it attractive.

BTW.. The head coach of Wake forest makes $2.04M, Woodson makes $3M,  Chris Beard $5M, John Calipari $8M. 

We offered Steven's $10M yr... but he was still owed $30M from his Boston Contract. so its not like he was getting a huge pay raise.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s my point. Winning close games but a roster that doesn’t intimidate anyone. They could re-run this season and Wisconsin could finish 7th or 8th and no one would be surprised. We just have to hope for that miracle, things click type season because we aren’t overpowering with recruiting and especially not coaching. Probably a bad comparison because Gard is a much crappier person but a far more college ready coach.

I guess, My point is, we need to find a way to have an outlier season without outlier talent. And Woodson as our coach, I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

But Gard has outlier talent. He was left Ethan Happ and a loaded roster. Then he missed the tourney. Then he won 18 games. Then Davis turned into the B1G player of the year.  

If TJD made the jump Davis did, we’d probably be top 5 in the conf and he’d be B1G PoY. 

We need talent. And one of our frosh to turn into a Davis-type player. 

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

But Gard has outlier talent. He was left Ethan Happ and a loaded roster. Then he missed the tourney. Then he won 18 games. Then Davis turned into the B1G player of the year.  

If TJD made the jump Davis did, we’d probably be top 5 in the conf and he’d be B1G PoY. 

We need talent. And one of our frosh to turn into a Davis-type player. 

But you see multiple players improving and stepping up every season for Wisconsin. Not at IU and not this year. 

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

But you see multiple players improving and stepping up every season for Wisconsin. Not at IU and not this year. 

Which players stepped up when they missed the tourney? Which ones when they won 18 games?

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Which players stepped up when they missed the tourney? Which ones when they won 18 games?

Why so much focus on them only winning 18 games last year? The season was shorter than usual because of covid. And they made it to the second round of the ncaa tournament. 

13 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

We offered Steven's $10M yr... but he was still owed $30M from his Boston Contract. so its not like he was getting a huge pay raise.

Huh? Wasn’t he making something like $3.6M/year? Qwik maffs tells me $10M/yr is one heck of a pay raise over $3.6M/year. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Huh? Wasn’t he making something like $3.6M/year? Qwik maffs tells me $10M/yr is one heck of a pay raise over $3.6M/year. 

I believe they renegotiated his salary, which wasn't public. This is based on the conversation with Goodman.

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I believe they renegotiated his salary, which wasn't public. This is based on the conversation with Goodman.

Yeah, after we offered if we truly did. But there ain’t no damn way they gave him a 300% raise. He turned down a significant pay raise, old contract and/or new.

29 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You mean when they won the bigten championship 2 times in 7 years, when they made the tourney and went to the round of 32?

I would happily win 18 games if it meant making the tourney and getting to the round of 32.

51 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Only two coaches in college basketball get paid $7 million a year. Calipari and Coach K. You’re just making excuses for the administration. The disaster that was our coaching hire is easier to swallow when you believe we didn’t have any other options. 

Name the coach who was comming here for $7m.  Calipari and K are two of the best who ever coached.  You going to overpay, whom.  

48 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Imagine you're IU athletics.... You're Fred Glass or Scott Dolson.. You know you're firing your head coach in 1 or 2 years.... How do you make the job more attractive? Do you PAY up, start facilities upgrades (even if just planned), new licensing agreement with Nike, Better Scheduling, Donors who can facilitate bag boys, and 10 other small things you could do?...

Or do you pay an average salary, not make the job any more attractive because "Its Indiana"...

Its not that IU isn't attractive because of external factors that we can't control... It's not attractive because our admin isn't making it attractive.

BTW.. The head coach of Wake forest makes $2.04M, Woodson makes $3M,  Chris Beard $5M, John Calipari $8M. 

Stevens decided to give up coaching.  What does that tell you?  It tells me he was never comming to IU, period.  IU isn't an attractive job any longer because it's past was so long ago.  It's a mediocre program at best, playing in a meat grinder division.  Look where the top coaches go -- they go to the programs with a history of success, including in the 2000s.  That's not IU any longer.  I know, it hurts to say that.  Offering someone $7m just means you're going to pay someone $5m more than they are worth.      

29 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Stevens decided to give up coaching.  What does that tell you?  It tells me he was never comming to IU, period.  IU isn't an attractive job any longer because it's past was so long ago.  It's a mediocre program at best, playing in a meat grinder division.  Look where the top coaches go -- they go to the programs with a history of success, including in the 2000s.  That's not IU any longer.  I know, it hurts to say that.  Offering someone $7m just means you're going to pay someone $5m more than they are worth.      

For $7 million a year we could have had the majority of coaches in D-1

we just chose not to and went with the choice the older fans would be ok with until it was proven unsuccessful 

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

For $7 million a year we could have had the majority of coaches in D-1

we just chose not to and went with the choice the older fans would be ok with until it was proven unsuccessful 

Right.  But the majority of coaches in D-1 suck.  

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Few programs have a bigger history of success than IU, history is longer than 20 years.  IU refuses get out of it's own way and/or do what it takes; top coaches don't want to go to a place with an administration that won't let them do what it takes to win hence now having a coach no one else wanted.  It's a conscious decision to be where we are.

Maybe our new not-a-victory song?   NCAA or NIT, it don't matter.  This ain't 1954 and we ain't Milan High School.  I'll be 74 in a few months and had hoped to live long enough to see another banner hung.  Now I'd like to live long enough to not experience another end of season meltdown.

Maybe our new not-a-victory song?   NCAA or NIT, it don't matter.  This ain't 1954 and we ain't Milan High School.  I'll be 74 in a few months and had hoped to live long enough to see another banner hung.  Now I'd like to live long enough to not experience another end of season meltdown.

[/url]  

Ditto, Dude. Not far behind you. A banner and no more meltdowns would be a huge plus.
He didn’t do it this year. Probably an improbable wish he could.
Still hoping CMW is the man. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Marshall is available and we could get him cheap.  Yeah I know he has some baggage but he's top 5 coach nationally.  I watched his Wichita teams for years and he's the real deal.  But of course IU is too good to go that route.  We'd rather lose the right way.