Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Lineup Changes?

1 hour ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Hahaha it makes for some very interesting outside-of-the-box considerations, and without shaking things up completely it would be difficult to discover revolutionary concepts that might actually work. The food for thought is much appreciated. I did want to riff on Kaulie a little in the hope of a good natured laugh because the opportunity seemed there for the taking hehe. Thx for asking Brum to run it. Can't wait to see what we learn from this. Maybe we are on to something really big this time.

Yeah, Kaulie is cool, provides an educated, on-campus viewpoint but with a little skew towards who she thinks is hot. I get it:)

On 1/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, IUFAN1976 said:

Galloway should be running point instead of X and Phinesee.  That is the best and most primary move CMW should make, even if he doesn’t make any others.

Last night on Assembly Call they had stats that would show that wouldn't be a good decision.  Galloway turns the ball 30 percent of the time where Johnson is around 19 percent.  Lander is at 40 percent

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last night on Assembly Call they had stats that would show that wouldn't be a good decision.  Galloway turns the ball 30 percent of the time where Johnson is around 19 percent.  Lander is at 40 percent

After the Nebraska game, neither one should be playing the point but the way Phinesee was trying to dribble the air out of the ball; therefore, we have no choice but to play X at the point.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If only that was super important.  All turnovers are not created equal. A player that constantly pushes the envelop, going forward, looking to make plays is naturally going to have more turnovers than a player that makes lateral and negative dribbles and passes. X makes some things happen but Galloway is always looking to break down the defense off the pass, dribble and screens/cutting off the ball. Phin, not so much. 
I would rather play a guy that is going to push the pace, score and set up teammates and have 3 turnovers than a guy that holds onto the ball for 20 seconds, dribbling laterally, lulling his own teammates into paralysis and ending with 2 turnovers

Don't see much hope at point guard.

Johnson - Terrible shot.  Overly emotional.  Every wild shot, drive into traffic, off balance beg for a foul from the refs is a turnover.

Phinissee - Can handle the ball against the press but can't shoot a lick.  Been trying to get the job done for 3 1/2 years.  Gonna suddenly get the job done now?  Wouldn't bet on it.

Landers - On the way to being a bust.  This team is begging for a point guard and he can't get off the bench.  That just tells you something.

Galloway - He is a wing pressed into service as a guard.  Pressing him into service as a point guard is asking far too much.  The handle just isn't there.  Against the press he is a deer in the headlights.  Outside shot is also suspect.  Leave him on the wing where he can slash and dish or shoot that drop shot.

Bates - Is the only one that might have the chops.  Offensively I think he might be an improvement on what we have.  Don't know about the defense.  I'd give him more time and see if any thing develops.

Can't see any other way out of this problem.  Who would have thought that losing Durham and Franklin would hurt us this much.

8 hours ago, BottomLine said:

Don't see much hope at point guard.

Johnson - Terrible shot.  Overly emotional.  Every wild shot, drive into traffic, off balance beg for a foul from the refs is a turnover.

Phinissee - Can handle the ball against the press but can't shoot a lick.  Been trying to get the job done for 3 1/2 years.  Gonna suddenly get the job done now?  Wouldn't bet on it.

Landers - On the way to being a bust.  This team is begging for a point guard and he can't get off the bench.  That just tells you something.

Galloway - He is a wing pressed into service as a guard.  Pressing him into service as a point guard is asking far too much.  The handle just isn't there.  Against the press he is a deer in the headlights.  Outside shot is also suspect.  Leave him on the wing where he can slash and dish or shoot that drop shot.

Bates - Is the only one that might have the chops.  Offensively I think he might be an improvement on what we have.  Don't know about the defense.  I'd give him more time and see if any thing develops.

Can't see any other way out of this problem.  Who would have thought that losing Durham and Franklin would hurt us this much.

No one because a lot was riding on the expectations of XJ and Phinesee coming around under a different coaching staff.

I think CMW’s hands maybe be tied but I would try something different.

I know Leal is a shooting guard but what about him?  Like I said, try something different.

By the way, I think XJ has an infatuation with dust, he was seen dusting the floor on many occasions, lol!

On 1/17/2022 at 6:00 AM, IUFAN1976 said:

Galloway should be running point instead of X and Phinesee.  That is the best and most primary move CMW should make, even if he doesn’t make any others.

Only quoting you because this is a somewhat popular idea out of frustration of the issues at the point -- thing is, Galloway is just not a pg, and fwiw he has committed 7 TO's in the past 2 games and that's not playing the role leading the team on ball and facing guard pressure on ball. No way Galloway would realistically be able to step into that role, he doesn't have pg experience, or, really, the handle, and even off ball he's shown a tendency to drive (e.g. baseline) with nowhere to go but into traffic. And I really, really like Galloway and his upside -- this is in no way, shape or form some kind of bash on him, he's just in no way a D1-ready point guard, it's not his position.

Same goes for Leal (who has driven straight into the teeth of heavy traffic on more than one occasion and thrown the ball away, and is simply inexperienced) and anyone else. X and Rob together are our on ball vets for this season. Both have shown improvement and flashes of strong play this year, both have frustrated everyone this year, it's what it is -- here's to hoping they continue to gel into Woodson's system and settle down.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Only quoting you because this is a somewhat popular idea out of frustration of the issues at the point -- thing is, Galloway is just not a pg, and fwiw he has committed 7 TO's in the past 2 games and that's not playing the role leading the team on ball and facing guard pressure on ball. No way Galloway would realistically be able to step into that role, he doesn't have pg experience, or, really, the handle, and even off ball he's shown a tendency to drive (e.g. baseline) with nowhere to go but into traffic. And I really, really like Galloway and his upside -- this is in no way, shape or form some kind of bash on him, he's just in no way a D1-ready point guard, it's not his position.

Same goes for Leal (who has driven straight into the teeth of heavy traffic on more than one occasion and thrown the ball away, and is simply inexperienced) and anyone else. X and Rob together are our on ball vets for this season. Both have shown improvement and flashes of strong play this year, both have frustrated everyone this year, it's what it is -- here's to hoping they continue to gel into Woodson's system and settle down.

You're a coach?! Please, teach me.

giphy.gif

Even Woody is buying into the “confidence” narrative. You’d think Archie put Phinisee through 3 years of medieval torture. Archie hasn’t been the coach for 9 months yet Phinisee is shooting worse than he ever has. At some point folks have to admit that he just isn’t very good. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Even Woody is buying into the “confidence” narrative. You’d think Archie put Phinisee through 3 years of medieval torture. Archie hasn’t been the coach for 9 months yet Phinisee is shooting worse than he ever has. At some point folks have to admit that he just isn’t very good. 

Woody has been the one driving it.  He has been saying the confidence thing before the season and pretty much every press conference he brings it up 

27 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not just Robs confidence he talked  about how the whole team had their heads down and lacked confidence when he first got there  

And it's not like it's some wack idea out of fantasy, Woodson's seen it at every level pro level included, confidence is huge, for shooters, and for the team to get those close W's on the road, it's just another way of saying a team that doesn't have players who have won, has to learn how to win on the road. Teams that close with confidence, vs. teams that dominate the first half and then look like the deer in the headlights down the stretch (sound familiar?). Shooters that shoot with confidence are going to start hitting even when they start out poorly, and CAM reigned in players and limited their offense. I don't know to what extent Rob was affected by his concussions (clearly set him back) or by struggling with confidence, but it's there.