Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

2021/2022 Men’s Basketball Season

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The defense has been great, but we’ve also faced some weak competition. St. John’s is the only quality opponent we’ve played and they scored 74 points. I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up as our schedule gets tougher. I don’t know how good of a shooter Leal is due to the limited sample size we have this year. All I’m saying is that if he’s capable of, for example, shooting 40% from 3 on good volume then you have to find minutes for him. You can’t have one of your best shooters riding the bench when your team struggles shooting the ball. 

I like Leal and see a lot of upside in him, but his D is behind. I would think he will gradually earn minutes, but Bates is a 40 plus 3-point shooter, he hasn't connected at that rate yet on the season, but I'd bet on him ending up around there, and the more of a role in the scoring he takes on the more we'll score, imo.

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I like Leal and see a lot of upside in him, but his D is behind. I would think he will gradually earn minutes, but Bates is a 40 plus 3-point shooter, he hasn't connected at that rate yet on the season, but I'd bet on him ending up around there, and the more of a role in the scoring he takes on the more we'll score, imo.

But right now that’s just speculation. I certainly hope that Bates is a 40% shooter from 3 this year, but so far he hasn’t been. As a team we’ve been a pretty poor shooting team. We’re shooting worse from the line than last year and a little better from 3. Even with a great defense it’s going to be tough to be the kind of team we want to be if we keep shooting 34% from 3 and 65.7% from the free throw line as a team. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But right now that’s just speculation. I certainly hope that Bates is a 40% shooter from 3 this year, but so far he hasn’t been. As a team we’ve been a pretty poor shooting team. We’re shooting worse from the line than last year and a little better from 3. Even with a great defense it’s going to be tough to be the kind of team we want to be if we keep shooting 34% from 3 and 65.7% from the free throw line as a team. 

Bates shot 43 percent as a HS junior, and 40 at IMG. He came scouted as an excellent outside shooter. We’ve played a total 5 games, he has years of well scouted shooting and he was recruited to IU after UT as a 3 level scorer who’s an excellent shooter, it’s not just speculation it’s what he’s shown as a player. 

Fully agree with you that our outside shooting as a team needs to continue to improve, and offense generally. No question it’s been behind the D. Do think it’s already starting to show improvement, and that it will gradually improve. Stew has just started to show his shooting the past 2 games - that should help spread the floor. Hoping Kopp starts connecting better, he has a well established history as a shooter so think it will, but also think he’s been forcing it, and want to see more guys taking more of the shots 

44 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Bates shot 43 percent as a HS junior, and 40 at IMG. He came scouted as an excellent outside shooter. We’ve played a total 5 games, he has years of well scouted shooting and he was recruited to IU after UT as a 3 level scorer who’s an excellent shooter, it’s not just speculation it’s what he’s shown as a player. 

Fully agree with you that our outside shooting as a team needs to continue to improve, and offense generally. No question it’s been behind the D. Do think it’s already starting to show improvement, and that it will gradually improve. Stew has just started to show his shooting the past 2 games - that should help spread the floor. Hoping Kopp starts connecting better, he has a well established history as a shooter so think it will, but also think he’s been forcing it, and want to see more guys taking more of the shots 

You said “Bates is a 40 plus 3-point shooter” and then cited his high school stats. Bates isn’t in high school anymore. The line is farther back, the game is faster, and the opponents are more athletic. Until he does it in college, it’s speculation that he’s a 40+ percent 3 point shooter at this level and especially during this season. Right now he’s a 33% three point shooter. I’m not even arguing that he isn’t a good 3 point shooter. We’ve only played 5 games and he hasn’t taken all that many threes. But we can’t just assume he’s going to shoot 40% from 3 as a freshman and fix our three point shooting woes.

Kopp I think will be fine. Most of his misses are shots he probably shouldn’t have taken. He has hit his catch and shoot rhythm 3’s, and probably will dial back the bad shots once competition is better and we aren’t up big. I’m not too worried about him being able to make a high percentage of open 3’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Dillion said:

Kopp I think will be fine. Most of his misses are shots he probably shouldn’t have taken. He has hit his catch and shoot rhythm 3’s, and probably will dial back the bad shots once competition is better and we aren’t up big. I’m not too worried about him being able to make a high percentage of open 3’s.

I am. He has never been a great 3-point shooter and as you suggested, his shot selection has been suspect. He’s also not hitting his open mid-range shots either. He won’t attack the basket so he is easy to scout. You get way more from Tamar right now offensively. 

56 minutes ago, Dillion said:

Spot on

On 11/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You said “Bates is a 40 plus 3-point shooter” and then cited his high school stats. Bates isn’t in high school anymore. The line is farther back, the game is faster, and the opponents are more athletic. Until he does it in college, it’s speculation that he’s a 40+ percent 3 point shooter at this level and especially during this season. Right now he’s a 33% three point shooter. I’m not even arguing that he isn’t a good 3 point shooter. We’ve only played 5 games and he hasn’t taken all that many threes. But we can’t just assume he’s going to shoot 40% from 3 as a freshman and fix our three point shooting woes.

So now 1 game later he’s at 43 percent. I guess the speculation thing is gone, lol. 
Bates is a strong outside shooter as part of his 3-level scoring, the more we see of him the better he’ll be

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

So now 1 game later he’s at 43 percent. I guess the speculation thing is gone, lol. 
Bates is a strong outside shooter as part of his 3-level scoring, the more we see of him the better he’ll be

Eh not really. Let’s see where he’s at come February. And in any event, I don’t even really know how this turned into a referendum on his shooting because I don’t think he’s a bad shooter. I just don’t think he alone is going to fix our shooting issues. He isn’t going to play or shoot enough for that this year. Franklin shot 42.4% from 3 on twice the volume of Bates and we were still 243rd in the country in 3 pt percentage last year. We need shooters all over. On top of TJD’s ridiculous performance, we won last because we shot 74% from the line and 53% from 3. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Eh not really. Let’s see where he’s at come February. And in any event, I don’t even really know how this turned into a referendum on his shooting because I don’t think he’s a bad shooter. I just don’t think he alone is going to fix our shooting issues. He isn’t going to play or shoot enough for that this year. Franklin shot 42.4% from 3 on twice the volume of Bates and we were still 243rd in the country in 3 pt percentage last year. We need shooters all over. On top of TJD’s ridiculous performance, we won last because we shot 74% from the line and 53% from 3. 

Hmm I don’t disagree? I was just talking about Bates. Good news is that over the past few games our deep shooting overall is improving— Stewart is definitely a key - hope that trend continues 

Not great. Despite Phinisee’s ‘experience’, he’s no more productive than Lander. Kid can’t get experience if you don’t play him. Phinisee, as a point guard, averages more fouls than he does assists. His 34.3% TS% is the lowest I’ve ever seen for a rotational player. Lander’s defense is nowhere near as bad as it was last season. Don’t like this decision at all. 

50 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not great. Despite Phinisee’s ‘experience’, he’s no more productive than Lander. Kid can’t get experience if you don’t play him. Phinisee, as a point guard, averages more fouls than he does assists. His 34.3% TS% is the lowest I’ve ever seen for a rotational player. Lander’s defense is nowhere near as bad as it was last season. Don’t like this decision at all. 

Thanks for sharing the tweet. I like listening to Woodys straight- forward, this is the way it is, type of interviews.
It was pretty clear from the interview that he felt we would have at least gotten a shot off, in the last 10 seconds of the first OT, if X or Rob would have been available to play.  Irregardless of which camp fans are in, regarding our point guard minutes, , it is clear that Woody has KL slated as the 3rd PG and if X and Rob stay healthy, and out of foul trouble, I don’t see a ton of minutes for KL in the BT season.

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Thanks for sharing the tweet. I like listening to Woodys straight- forward, this is the way it is, type of interviews.
It was pretty clear from the interview that he felt we would have at least gotten a shot off, in the last 10 seconds of the first OT, if X or Rob would have been available to play.  Irregardless of which camp fans are in, regarding our point guard minutes, , it is clear that Woody has KL slated as the 3rd PG and if X and Rob stay healthy, and out of foul trouble, I don’t see a ton of minutes for KL in the BT season.

Phinisee has an ORtg of 69.3. That’s worse than every player other than Durr and Duncomb. The next closest is Geronimo at 79.9 and Galloway at 89.6. 

Phinisee has a DRtg of 92.0. That’s worse than every player other than Bates.

For comparison, Lander has an ORtg of 90.2 and a DRtg of 87.6 (5th best on the team). 

(you can find these numbers under per 100 possessions). https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

No number is perfect, and one player alone isn’t responsible for these numbers because they’re based on the team’s performance when the player is on the floor, but these numbers are pretty jarring. The team absolutely craters on offense when Phinisee is on the court, and the defense is also at close to its worst when Phinisee is on the court. Continuing to play him just makes absolutely no sense to me. He’s been our worst guard this year. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Phinisee has an ORtg of 69.3. That’s worse than every player other than Durr and Duncomb. The next closest is Geronimo at 79.9 and Galloway at 89.6. 

Phinisee has a DRtg of 92.0. That’s worse than every player other than Bates.

For comparison, Lander has an ORtg of 90.2 and a DRtg of 87.6 (5th best on the team). 

(you can find these numbers under per 100 possessions). https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

No number is perfect, and one player alone isn’t responsible for these numbers because they’re based on the team’s performance when the player is on the floor, but these numbers are pretty jarring. The team absolutely craters on offense when Phinisee is on the court, and the defense is also at close to its worst when Phinisee is on the court. Continuing to play him just makes absolutely no sense to me. He’s been our worst guard this year. 

Valid points but for whatever reason Woody seems more comfortable with Rob on the floor than with KL. I’m not disputing your stats (and agree that it is maddening that Rob still can’t shoot and has a tendency to pound the ball into the floor) but Woody has chosen to primarily only give KL minutes when Rob was hurt or when ROB/X fouled out.

Just now, DChoosier said:

Valid points but for whatever reason Woody seems more comfortable with Rob on the floor than with KL. I’m not disputing your stats (and agree that it is maddening that Rob still can’t shoot and has a tendency to pound the ball into the floor) but Woody has chosen to primarily only give KL minutes when Rob was hurt and when ROB/X fouled out.

Which I really cannot, for the life of me, understand. I just don’t see what Phinisee brings to the table that Woodson likes so much. It’s often said that Phinisee is a great defender and that’s why he gets minutes. However, that individual defense hasn’t been translating to team defense when he’s on the court. The defense has been better with Lander on the court than with Rob on the court. The defense has been better with anyone other than Rob (and Tamar) on the court. Same with the offense. For whatever reason Woodson is hard as hell on Lander and cuts his minutes at the slightest mistake but hands Phinisee minutes no matter how terribly he plays. It’s frustrating to me. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Which I really cannot, for the life of me, understand. I just don’t see what Phinisee brings to the table that Woodson likes so much. It’s often said that Phinisee is a great defender and that’s why he gets minutes. However, that individual defense hasn’t been translating to team defense when he’s on the court. The defense has been better with Lander on the court than with Rob on the court. The defense has been better with anyone other than Rob (and Tamar) on the court. Same with the offense. For whatever reason Woodson is hard as hell on Lander and cuts his minutes at the slightest mistake but hands Phinisee minutes no matter how terribly he plays. It’s frustrating to me. 

I agree that KL has improved his D and he is doing a better job staying in front of his man. I also think, however, that the Rob vs KL stats are a bit skewed this early in the season as KL got quite a few minutes in the bunny games Rob missed due to injury.  
One thing for certain….the only opinion that really matters is Woodys.