Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

7 hours ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I don’t don’t understand the appeal for Maryland. Who wants to go to a “basketball school” where the stadium Is half empty for conference games? 

Like someone else had stated, hard to get DMV kids out when they have recruiting rolling. Willard has "new coach appeal", and we will see if he can successfully maintain with coaching ability. 

On 2/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maryland might be building a monster.  Keeping my eyes on them.  

We might want to stop recruiting DMV kids to Indiana.  Pretty much cost us a 2023 class. 

Can't we just sign 2-4 Montverde kids and the Indiana Mr. Basketball every year? Lol... only kinda kidding/wishing 

Rivals and prospects on the brink of 5-star ranking.

Queen’s high school season ended in the quarterfinals at GEICO Nationals, after he drove the lane and missed a heavily contested layup off the front of the rim; that seemed to light a fire under the versatile 6-foot-10 forward that has yet to be quelled. Queen has, arguably, been the most consistent big in the class, emerging as the top player in the Under Armour Association for each of the live periods and leading Team Thrill (Md.) to an undefeated record and the UAA spring title.

Queen embraces his role as a go-to scorer, which is different from his role as a key piece on the juggernaut that is Montverde Academy. He’s expanded his capabilities as a playmaker and passer, has improved as a defensive presence in the paint and swallows rebounds on both ends.

Would love to have Queen on board, but am I cynical for thinking that being from the DVM and being on the Under Armour circuit puts Maryland as an obvious choice? Someone please convince me I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Would love to have Queen on board, but am I cynical for thinking that being from the DVM and being on the Under Armour circuit puts Maryland as an obvious choice? Someone please convince me I'm wrong. 

That has been the strong thought since Maryland has upped its recruiting game.  Almost a foregone conclusion but we seem to be back in this picture. 

sounds like the Flory odds are really low now with Duke involved and the Hoosier Hysterics take on the recruitment.  So maybe what we could have offered Flory can now be presented to Derri Queen.  

1 hour ago, BtownStrength said:

The assistant coach that he was close to moved schools. Tjd’s success as an athlete / passer / draft stock helped alot too. Getting him back on campus says a lot. 

Eric Bossi from Thursday at the Under Armour event.

The top ranked player in the class of 2024 in the Under Armour Association at No. 6 nationally, rising senior center Derik Queen certainly looked like the best player in the gym on Thursday. Yes, others put up big numbers, but the reality nobody else that 247Sports saw looked as good as the big man from Baltimore.

Simply put, Queen is a scoring machine around the hoop. He’s still working on his body and isn’t a high-flyer, but he sure is skilled and he sure has a tremendous feel for scoring on the interior. He spins, he fakes, he uses both hands and he plays with a supreme confidence that allows him to get one bucket after another. In the past, he’s had spells where he falls in love with the jump shot but that wasn’t the case while we watched him on Thursday. Rather than settling, he used the threat of being a jump shooter to make him even more of a difficult cover around the basket.

In recent interviews with 247Sports, Queen has been pretty quiet about which direction he may be leaning but behind the scenes it is thought that Indiana and Maryland have emerged ahead of the pack. On Thursday, Terps coach Kevin Willard was easily found near center court for each of Queen’s games. We didn’t notice anybody from the Hoosiers staff on Thursday, but sources indicate they plan to see him plenty this weekend.