Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah, Bennett telling it like it is. I mean, if you listen to him at the 11:00 mark and don’t fully believe him? I don’t know what else to say.

It’s not nearly as much physical tiredness. I think it’s primarily a bunch of guys that were completely mentally spent after a ten day non-stop  pressurized whirlwind.

The only other game IU was never really close in — home vs. UM — their opponent hit 11/17 3s. UM and St. Mary’s are both a bit better than IU this year, I think. But to this team’s credit, they basically always defended well enough to give themselves a chance.

38 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

So I read where rabby was on a podcast and hinted at issues within the coaching staff due to Whittman being at practice and having Woody's ear more than the assistants?

Seems to back up what was discussed on here a month ago. Really unfortunate

Always listen to Chris. He’s info is accurate. 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

Always listen to Chris. He’s info is accurate. 

Now the question is does Wittman consultant contract get renewed for another year along with the other guy? I will say Wittman is the person who put in most of the new sets at the end of the season to get some open 3 point looks. Maybe we just needed him shooting them.

The second question is do we lose Ya? Fife? or both?

He should do his best to bring Wittman in officially, then. If you don’t trust in your staff to make the right decisions, you are causing organizational dysfunction by operating this way. This behavior cripples and bankrupts a lot of companies. Indiana Basketball is a business. 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

He should do his best to bring Wittman in officially, then. If you don’t trust in your staff to make the right decisions, you are causing organizational dysfunction by operating this way. This behavior cripples and bankrupts a lot of companies. Indiana Basketball is a business. 

He is paid as a consultant but lives most of the time in Florida. He has no interest in recruiting so he won't work as an assistant. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Now the question is does Wittman consultant contract get renewed for another year along with the other guy? I will say Wittman is the person who put in most of the new sets at the end of the season to get some open 3 point looks. Maybe we just needed him shooting them.

I would still be very surprised if Fife left

Just now, Chris007 said:

I will make a lot of people upset with this one but if we lose one, I’d rather lose Fife. I value recruiters over assistant coaches who can’t gain the head coaches ear. I’ve never been sold on Fife’s coaching ability and am terrified at the thought of him becoming the head coach at IU. In my mind, if he were capable, he would have been able to win the summit athletic conference at least once. 

6 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Chris, you think it's a chance both bolt? Were Hunter's toes not stepped on with this? 

I for sure think there is a chance we lose both. Ya at least has a place to go, Fife, I'm hearing is just not happy with his role.

If any of these three coaches had Woody's ear this year it was Hunter. 

The bothersome part of this isn’t having a consultant, I don’t think. It’s the role confusion and frustration among the staff.

If Ya leaves, I would guess it has as much to do with his relationship with Kenny Payne as anything. He needed a second chance, CMW gave him one, it’s ok to have some asst coaching turnover. In this specific case I wonder if having another shot at a hire is helpful with a year of college coaching under CMW’s belt.

I have no inside info but would hope Fife stays. CMW and DF are reasonable people who can help each other, maybe they’ll hammer out differences and roles.

Honestly Woodson needs to listen to his college-experienced assistants on the bench. The whole consultant thing is kind of odd, it creates unnecessary division with the staff, who you brought in for their experience.

I remember a game where Woodson acknowledged in the post-game presser that he finally put Geronimo in because his assistants were yelling at him to do so, and then Geronimo had a great game. He needs to be giving his experienced staff more of his ear, or bring in a new assistant who he can rely on without looking outside. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Honestly Woodson needs to listen to his college-experienced assistants on the bench. The whole consultant thing is kind of odd, it creates unnecessary division with the staff, who you brought in for their experience.

I remember a game where Woodson acknowledged in the post-game presser that he finally put Geronimo in because his assistants were yelling at him to do so, and then Geronimo had a great game. He needs to be giving his experienced staff more of his ear, or bring in a new assistant who he can rely on without looking outside. 

But also remember he didn't bring these guys in. He was told he had to have Fife and was also told he had to keep Hunter. He brought is Ya but that's it