Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

Just now, Southside said:

Agreed... 

IU (41) is way ahead of Rutgers (77) already in Net even before today's outcome.

If MSU (37th) loses to Wiscy, good chance IU (41) jumps them tonight. 

In NET only.  0 chance IU could jumped them in seeding in my opinion 

32 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Heck yes we are in.  If they only take 8 teams, Michigan is the odd team out, IMO. Our team has been highly competitive with every team on our schedule and we can compete with any team in the country despite our record.  Again, yes we are in.

36 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

There's absolutely no way IU is left out at this point. Seriously

It's not that I don't believe you guys, I'm just a pessimist. I'm as hopeful as I can be, but until I see the name on the board on Sunday, I'll still have my doubts.

The thing that is nagging at me is that while we don't have any bad losses, we played pretty lousy (read 5 game losing streak). Yes we were competitve in most of them, but we lost 7 out of 9 (I believe) at the end. The BTT has helped, no doubt, but I see a team like Rutgers who were giant killers down the stretch, and we were on the struggle bus.

On the bright side, IF the committee does take injuries into account (big IF), then they have to give us some relief for Trey & Rob being hurt for essentially ½ the season.

Hope you guys are right, and a bunch of surprise tournament winners don't emerge from other conferences and take our bid away.

Just now, DWB said:

It's not that I don't believe you guys, I'm just a pessimist. I'm as hopeful as I can be, but until I see the name on the board on Sunday, I'll still have my doubts.

The thing that is nagging at me is that while we don't have any bad losses, we played pretty lousy (read 5 game losing streak). Yes we were competitve in most of them, but we lost 7 out of 9 (I believe) at the end. The BTT has helped, no doubt, but I see a team like Rutgers who were giant killers down the stretch, and we were on the struggle bus.

On the bright side, IF the committee does take injuries into account (big IF), then they have to give us some relief for Trey & Rob being hurt for essentially ½ the season.

Hope you guys are right, and a bunch of surprise tournament winners don't emerge from other conferences and take our bid away.

I can certainly understand the pessimism / concern after IU's recent history, but at this point it's a numbers game and there's really no way IU gets left out -- it's basically a clear 11 seed right now, at worst maybe a 12. We're in, have a beer!

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Most every team goes through highs and lows.  They said the committee mainly looks at the entire body of work.  A 5 game losing streak isn’t something they dissect from the middle of the season.  I think they look do look at how they are playing down the stretch.  We won the last 4 out of 6 games and the two we lost were by a total of 5 points.  We are in!!!!!

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Committee does entire body of work and stress in every interview that games played in November are just as important as the games in March.  No extra weight for conference tournament games.   Committee also stopped looking at how a team does down the stretch.  (Last 10 or 12 games).  Used to be a factor but hasn’t been for a very long time.   

So snapped 9 game winning streaks to Purdue, Michigan, 4 game streak to Illinois, won 20 games, 2 in the BTT and making the NCAA. Pretty good first year for Woody.

As stuhoo reminded us in the NW thread, he also reintroduced some tough discipline at a time we really needed wins. Very good first year and hopefully we grow from here.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 3/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, cthomas said:

Personally, I think CMW has done a good job with this team. When was the last time that IU has been playing really good basketball at this time of year? He has kept them engaged during trying times and has them securely in the dance. And, he has done it while maintaining control of the program. For all the second guessing he received for the suspensions before the Northwestern game, the bigger picture is more important than any one win or game. The culture is changing. I, for one, am glad to see it.

I’m not as disappointed as I was before, but I had this team winning 24 games. Look at our schedule, it was there. Also, we did not end the season well in general, we’re 3-7 down the stretch. 2 good wins in the bigten tourney has clouded visions a little including mine

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’m not as disappointed as I was before, but I had this team winning 24 games. Look at our schedule, it was there. Also, we did not end the season well in general, we’re 3-7 down the stretch. 2 good wins in the bigten tourney has clouded visions a little including mine

Fair enough. There is plenty of room to interpret the results. While I think when taken as a whole, the team looked much improved over the last couple of years. The glaring exception was the three point shooting. That deficiency alone cost several wins including Iowa. The way they were nearly always competitive, for me, was a significant step forward.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, Chris007 said:

So snapped 9 game winning streaks to Purdue, Michigan, 4 game streak to Illinois, won 20 games, 2 in the BTT and making the NCAA. Pretty good first year for Woody.

There was some pretty serious trepidation when he was hired and throughout the season but, if we’d known these facts at season start, I think the fan base would have been ecstatic. 

7 hours ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

One knock down shooter and this is a top-tier B1G (and National) team. Just need to recruit some sharpshooters (for real this time) and we are gonna be a machine going forward. Defense is there, culture is building, just need some talent. It *should* come

The fact that we really don't have that knock down shooter sorta reminds me of the whole Forrest Gump adage: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Kopp and Stewart were supposed to be those knock down shooters -- but they sure haven't been. To just watch Murray out there yesterday, knocking down 3 after 3 so effortlessly while we kept bricking them ... 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

The fact that we really don't have that knock down shooter sorta reminds me of the whole Forrest Gump adage: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Kopp and Stewart were supposed to be those knock down shooters -- but they sure haven't been. To just watch Murray out there yesterday, knocking down 3 after 3 so effortlessly while we kept bricking them ... 

I mean just one could potentially create 6-12 more points per game. That’s winning every close game. It’s easily fixable going forward, I just hope we get kids that live up to their hype or pull a good one from the portal. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, Chris007 said:

But he doesn’t have an addiction to Diet Coke or doesn’t have 3 boxes of gum next to him on the bench. Is he really the coach we want?? :D