Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Maryland - 01/04/21 @ 8:00 on BTN

No more timesharing with IU football.  Hoosiers need to get it done on the court, no ifs, ands or buts or butts need to be on the end of the bench.

Hoosiers (6-4) (1-2) vs Maryland (6-4) (1-3) Monday night.  We open as a 6-point favorite, o/u 137.5.  Pomeroy puts it at 4 & gives the Hoosiers a 64% chance of victory.    Maryland's Darryl Morsell underwent surgery to repair a fractured bone in his face and is expected to miss 1-2 weeks.  This season he's averaging 7.7 ppg and 4.8 rpg.  However, his backup Hakim Hart isn't a player to overlook.  Hart is averaging 9.1 points per game this season but has the ability to light it up.  He had a 32-point performance against St. Peter's earlier this season but averaging just 4.5 points per game in Big Ten play.  

Alec Lasley Pre-Game

Tunein

Live Stats

ARMAAN ON A ROLL
In the last 5 games, sophomore Armaan Franklin is averaging 18.8 points, shooting 54.8% from the field and 60.0% from 3FG  He has established career-high scoring efforts in 3 of those games.  He had 23 points and made 5 of 6 3FG at Illinois.  He followed up his first career-high 19-point performance against North Alabama with a 20-point effort against Butler.  He hit 5 of 7 3-pointers and added 3 assists and two steals.  He had 16 against Northwestern.  He leads the league since December 13 with 18 made 3's.  Franklin has the second highest increase in points scored per game in the B1G at +10.1.  Only Rutgers' Ron Harper (12.2) is higher.

JACKSON-DAVIS STARTS SEASON STRONG
Sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis ranks among B1G leaders in scoring, rebounds, field goal percentage and blocked shots.  His most dominant performance this season was a 25-point, 17-rebound effort at Florida State. He had a career-high 31 points in the win over Stanford in the 3rd place game at Maui. He was named Big Ten Player of the Week and All-Tournament for his efforts at the Maui Invitational.  He is a Preseason All-Big Ten pick and has been named to several Preseason All-American teams and is on the watch lists for the Wooden, Naismith and Malone Awards.  He has had 14 career double-doubles. The Hoosiers are 12-2 when he reaches that milestone.  He is averaging 20.1 points, 8.3 rebounds while shooting 53.5% from the floor and a team-high 19 blocks this season. He is the only Hoosier in the last 25 years to have 3 games of 25 points and 15 rebounds (at Minnesota, Nebraska). He is 2nd in the nation in FTs made (63) and 1st in attempts (86).  He had 21 points, 8 boards and a career-high 5 blocks against Butler and 22 points and 9 caroms against Northwestern.  He had 22 points and 6 rebounds against Penn State and sent the game into overtime on a free throw with 7 seconds left in regulation.

QUICK HITS
Freshman Trey Galloway is third in the Big Ten among freshmen in minutes played (24.1) and 2nd in assists (2.1).  He is averaging 10.0 points and shooting 77.3% at home this season.  IU is shooting 38.5% from long range (40 for 104) and averaging 8 triples per game in the last 5 games.  

Time to up our game Hoosiers!! It was nice to see Durham and Phinisee get going against psu but we need more. I want to see a total team effort in this one. We’ll need it as we move along in Big Ten play.

TJD - needs to dominate in the paint. Strong effort and take everything to the rim like you’re going to put the defender through it. Better effort in rebounding too!

Thompson - need the junkyard dog from the Maui Invite back. Rebounding and defending at a high level. If they completely back off you from deep take the open shot. Scott is going to be a handful to defend.

Galloway - keep creating but limit the TOs. They’re going to try to take you off the dribble early and often.

Franklin - keep balling out. Shoot with confidence and drive to score. Getting some of their wings in foul trouble will help. Limit the bad decisions.

Durham - be strong with the ball. Take your shots and don’t force it in the lane. Smart passes

Phin - shoot with confidence and attack when you have the angle. Keep defending at a high level. Ayala will be a handful too.

Hunter - be aware, be confident, play big!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

From Archie's press conference earlier today  --

Miller said Brunk has been dealing with tingling in his back for a while and it hasn't improved, which led to the decision to have surgery. Said his surgery was successful, and they haven't ruled out a return for him this season. It could keep him out all year, but perhaps not.

“I think our bench has to be a focal point moving forward... It’s a must.”  Said he expects Geronimo to play more moving forward.  Talked at length about the freshman, and acknowledged that he needs to hang in there with them through mistakes and let them grow up in games.  [ Old Fart personal comment:  This is a source of irritation to me that Archie makes these kinds of statements but we don't see it on the court.  He's made similar comments specifically about Leal but he's not getting that much game action.]

"Our defense has kind of got to get its feet back on the ground."

With as many guards we have, I’d like to see us press more often which will give us more/easier opportunities to score on the other end. Doubt we’ll see it but one can wish right

I like this idea. While Lander, Leal, and Hunter aren’t ready to press, even just applying 3/4 pressure with Durham, Franklin, and Phin would be solid

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'd like to see a more engaged TJD. Lately he looks out of it, especially on the defensive end. I'm not expecting him to magically learn how to use his right hand or hit a mid-range jumper, but seeing him sprint back after a hard-hedge would be nice!

Let's get RACE going again, he's been off a couple games. Let's hope AL and ROB can continue the offensive performances. 

Our defense has to get back to it's normal ways. It's been lackluster the last two games, especially the last game to be specific. We can't afford to have a bad defense and a very very questionable offense. 

GO HOOSIERS!

11 hours ago, yogisballin said:

With as many guards we have, I’d like to see us press more often which will give us more/easier opportunities to score on the other end. Doubt we’ll see it but one can wish right

I'm not seeing any D1 teams regularly running a press these days. Zero chance we will be the team that takes that on.

4 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

West Virginia?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Somewhat, yes:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — West Virginia University basketball fans will not be seeing Jevon Carter or Daxter Miles out on the court anytime soon, but the Mountaineers have recently been using a full-court defense reminiscent of those old ‘Press Virginia’ teams.

WVU coach Bob Huggins has moved away from using press defense the last couple of years but broke out some full-court pressure in each of the team’s last two games, to some degree of success.

After a flat first half against North Texas on Friday, WVU moved to a full-court pressure out of halftime and started the second half on an 18 to 0 run. Sunday against No. 19 Richmond, the Mountaineers used full-court pressure to outscore the Spiders 29-10 over the final seven minutes of the first half.

“The ability to have a different defense you can go to to speed people up and just get them uncomfortable is a great feeling,” senior guard Taz Sherman said following Sunday’s win. “We’re not ‘Press Virginia’ by any means but we have good athletes so I think we can speed people up, get a couple of steals here and there and get out on the fast break. But that’s mainly just to slow people down and give them 18, 15 seconds of the shot clock to run their half-court offense.”

Following Friday’s game, Huggins said the main difference between ‘Press Virginia’ and this season’s full-court defense is what they are trying to do. Huggins said this season is has been about speeding the other team up, getting them out of their half-court offense, whereas before it was about generating turnovers.

“We didn’t do much out of it, we just slowed them down,” Huggins said. “We weren’t really trying to steal the ball or make a lot of plays on the ball, more just trying to slow them down. Slow them down so we didn’t have to guard for the whole clock. This burnt some clock so they didn’t have as much time to do what they wanted to do.”

WVU forced 15 turnovers against North Texas, scoring 12 points off those turnovers and five on the fast break. Huggins said using the press defense will be a matter of matchup this season and Richmond’s pass-heavy offense made it a favorable matchup.