Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t need to bring in a player as good as your departing player.

I don't agree. If your best player for all four years he has played is leaving, there is a huge hole that needs to be filled. Bringing in a lesser talent won't fill that hole. The best teams have star talent.

6 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I don't agree. If your best player for all four years he has played is leaving, there is a huge hole that needs to be filled. Bringing in a lesser talent won't fill that hole. The best teams have star talent.

Oh I’m sorry I thought we were anticipating bringing a 5 star off the bench next year. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Perhaps. However, none rank as high as the (by far) best departing player, TJD, who was a McDonald's All-American. If we're losing a McDonald's All American, better that the best player on the team can be replaced by an equally talented player. Maybe Evans or Booker will see that Woodson and IU are upgrading their talent and want to come. We'll see.

TJD won't be replaced by a freshman but Reneau who is a top 30 recruit.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

TJD won't be replaced by a freshman but Reneau

My point as I stated above is that the 2023 class as projected by some on this board lacks players  of the quality of Hood-Schifino and Reneau. That is a step back in recruiting, imo. Apparently some here are satisfied taking a step back in recruiting.

I’m still not convinced TJD won’t be back. 

After year 2 I was told he was gone.  Same after year 3.  But both times he’s come back. Why?  Because it’s been the best thing for him.  I love TJD but I still don’t think he will play himself into the first round. Maybe if he starts draining 3s.  Like nobody on our roster has for years.  IF ONLY.  

If he can’t play himself into the first round then we absolutely should be able to offer him more money than any overseas league.  Granted there’s always the desire to move on.  But I would have to really hate a job to take a pay cut to go do the same thing elsewhere. 

Obviously if he plays himself to a borderline or for sure first rounder it’s all moot and he’s gone. But I just don’t see that happening. 

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

My point as I stated above is that the 2023 class as projected by some on this board lacks players  of the quality of Hood-Schifino and Reneau. That is a step back in recruiting, imo. Apparently some here are satisfied taking a step back in recruiting.

You don’t have to have the top recruiting class every year. It’s going to be harder to recruit for this class.  Right now kids can look at our roster and pretty much see 3-4 of starting spots locked up. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t have to have the top recruiting class every year. It’s going to be harder to recruit for this class.

If you want to get back to the top, you need great recruiting every year.  The schools that have top teams every year--Duke, North Carolina, Kansas--consistently have top recruiting. 

27 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I see no step back at all. I think by the time Newton gets to IU he will be a top 50 recruit and Cupp will be in the 90's.  Also there is plenty of time until the 23 class sets foot on campus and a lot can change. This time last year we never thought we would have Reneau in this class so it is way to early to make a judgment on the 23 class. Two years in a row we got a top 30 recruit in the spring from guys you decommitted from other schools (Bates and Reneau).

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m still not convinced TJD won’t be back. 

After year 2 I was told he was gone.  Same after year 3.  But both times he’s come back. Why?  Because it’s been the best thing for him.  I love TJD but I still don’t think he will play himself into the first round. Maybe if he starts draining 3s.  Like nobody on our roster has for years.  IF ONLY.  

If he can’t play himself into the first round then we absolutely should be able to offer him more money than any overseas league.  Granted there’s always the desire to move on.  But I would have to really hate a job to take a pay cut to go do the same thing elsewhere. 

Obviously if he plays himself to a borderline or for sure first rounder it’s all moot and he’s gone. But I just don’t see that happening. 

Don't see TJD coming back for a 5th year because he played his 4 years and also will have his degree.

26 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t have to have the top recruiting class every year. It’s going to be harder to recruit for this class.  Right now kids can look at our roster and pretty much see 3-4 of starting spots locked up. 

For the 23-24 year I would like to see this starting lineup.

JHS.

Bates.

Newton.

Banks.

Reneau 

28 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

If you want to get back to the top, you need great recruiting every year.  The schools that have top teams every year--Duke, North Carolina, Kansas--consistently have top recruiting. 

Kansas in 21 brought in 4 guys. Not a single 5 star.  And the highest rated guy was 50th. You kinda just made my point by citing Kansas 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't see TJD coming back for a 5th year because he played his 4 years and also will have his degree.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

JHS.

Bates.

Newton.

Banks.

Reneau 

Where’s Geronimo?  

I don’t think the whole. “Played my four years and got my degree” matters that much anymore.  If I could have made more money staying at IU than leaving better believe I would have stuck around. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Where’s Geronimo?  

I don’t think the whole. “Played my four years and got my degree” matters that much anymore.  If I could have made more money staying at IU than leaving better believe I would have stuck around. 

Agree to disagree on TJD because I see no way a ayer like him will play 5 full years of college basketball. Also in his interview he said this is his last season at IU.

I am not that high on Geronimo and only seen a few flashes of really good play from him.

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kansas in 21 brought in 4 guys. Not a single 5 star.  And the highest rated guy was 50th. You kinda just made my point by citing Kansas 

All you have to do is look at the last 6  champions and you don't see a lot of top recruits on those rosters. Villanova twice, UNC, UVA, Baylor and KU.  You see a lot of recruits ranked between 30-80 on those rosters.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Agree to disagree on TJD because I see no way a ayer like him will play 5 full years of college basketball. Also in his interview he said this is his last season at IU.

I am not that high on Geronimo and only seen a few flashes of really good play from him.

Oh I didn’t see that he said that. Ok that does change the calculus a bit. But who knows.  NIL is a helluva thing

That’s fair about JG

On 5/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, IU Scott said:

JHS.

Bates.

Newton.

Banks.

Reneau 

That's a really small lineup, IMO.  Undersized at the 4 and 5 and I really of the three guards in JHS, Bates, and Newton, I think only JHS contributes to rebounding much.  

44 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It is a bit early to project the 2023-24 starting lineup. I suspect Jordan Geronimo will be starting by 2023-24, however, if not sooner.

Q and A with Brady Dunlap:  https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/06/08/q-a-class-of-2023-forward-brady-dunlap-talks-iu-interest/?fbclid=IwAR1wiVs7_6iaMP1LF6tcUhO4C72qz29_BWJhwrmsEo0FFIi3n-xSrqrjaqM

EYBL Stats averaging 26 min/game.

Brady Dunlap '23 - Vegas Elite (Strive For Greatness)                        
Date Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Ast TO Srl Blk
4/08 11 5 7 1 2 0 0 1 1 0 1 0
4/09 11 4 8 2 5 1 2 2 3 1 1 0
4/09 11 4 8 3 5 0 0 1 5 0 0 0
4/10 11 4 9 0 0 3 5 2 0 2 1 0
4/22 W 2 8 1 2 0 3 3 4 1 1 0
4/23 11 3 9 4 4 1 2 5 2 3 0 0
4/23 14 6 12 0 0 2 6 6 4 2 0 1
4/24 10 4 10 0 0 2 5 3 4 1 0 0
5/28 10 4 10 1 1 1 7 3 0 4 0 0
5/28 17 7 14 0 0 3 8 4 3 4 0 0
5/29 22 6 13 7 7 3 8 0 0 4 5 0