Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

IU vs IOWA 02/07/19 GAME THREAD!

We were in our seats 75 minutes before tip: JamieHoo is firmly convinced that the two best, most consistently repeatable shooting strokes in the team are 2) Al, and #1) Rob Phinssee.
Fitzner isn’t just a game confidence thing; goofing around during warmups DeRon Davis was hitting threes at a better clip than Fitzner.

Something I felt I noticed but I have only been to five home games this year. Did you feel they are almost scared to play at AH? I just feel their confidence has got worse each home game. I feel like they are scared to make mistakes and their body language was shook when they didn’t play perfect. Any time they made a mistake it compounded both ends for a couple of possessions. Like they anticipated the groans. Weird. In my life I haven’t seen an IU team with this low of self confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

My hope is Hunter returns healthy and capable next year, and that Archie lands Keion. I still think we’ll be lacking dangerous shooters but...we could be a solid tourney team next year at least.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not sure where this came from or what he saw but ...

Which season is more disappointing this season or the 2013-2014 team? Both seemed to have plenty of talent to make the tournament but neither could shoot the ball consistently from the perimeter. Still enough talent in the starting 5 to be better than this...

Which season is more disappointing this season or the 2013-2014 team? Both seemed to have plenty of talent to make the tournament but neither could shoot the ball consistently from the perimeter. Still enough talent in the starting 5 to be better than this...
This one.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

This one.

I agree. I see a number of familiarities though especially around shooting and leadership. Amazing when you look at the bracketology and see the 8, 9, 10 and 11, 12 seeds currently. From a talent standpoint, we  should easily be in the mix. 

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I’ll yell this still my voice is hoarse, but this team had limited bigs and no established PG. Expectations were not very high for me - first weekend tourney team. If we miss, that’s disappointing, but not that far off from expectations. 

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’ll yell this still my voice is hoarse, but this team had limited bigs and no established PG. Expectations were not very high for me - first weekend tourney team. If we miss, that’s disappointing, but not that far off from expectations. The 2013-2014 was supposed to be banner #6.

I do think 2013 was more talented as well. Vonleh, Sheehey, Troy, Yogi. On paper, it checked a lot of the boxes. 

If I recall, this team was right around 25 or so to start the year. That would put us at a 6-7 seed which seemed appropriate at the time. I think we all thought Romeo would take over games, which hasn't really been the case. He's clearly not the main problem as our bench is non-existent due to other guys not developing at all and injuries. And PG has basically been a black hole except for a few games Phinny elevated his play before the concussion. Even if we somehow made the tourney, I feel like Juwan would have to have 30+ and Romeo 20+ for us to win a game. 

42 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

To be honest, they all are blending together quite a bit. Could’ve been last year’s too.

I agree. I see a number of familiarities though especially around shooting and leadership. Amazing when you look at the bracketology and see the 8, 9, 10 and 11, 12 seeds currently. From a talent standpoint, we  should easily be in the mix. 
I waa delusional enough to get really excited after the MS win. It was clearly a one off and any ncaa dream ended last night.

41 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I do think 2013 was more talented as well. Vonleh, Sheehey, Troy, Yogi. On paper, it checked a lot of the boxes. 

If I recall, this team was right around 25 or so to start the year. That would put us at a 6-7 seed which seemed appropriate at the time. I think we all thought Romeo would take over games, which hasn't really been the case. He's clearly not the main problem as our bench is non-existent due to other guys not developing at all and injuries. And PG has basically been a black hole except for a few games Phinny elevated his play before the concussion. Even if we somehow made the tourney, I feel like Juwan would have to have 30+ and Romeo 20+ for us to win a game. 

Apologies for the last part of my statement - got my years mixed up! I was thinking of the Cody and Vic team haha. 2013-2104 was still more talented and had better roster structure, in my opinion.

I mean, Yogi, Troy, and Vonleh are all NBA players. On this year's team, Romeo is the only one. Maybe Juwan.

19 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I imagine he was at shootaround and was around the guys some. Jerome is able to participate to some extent I believe. 

Is it just to some extent? I thought he had been completely cleared... obviously not going to waste the year at this point so he is red-shirting but I thought he was totally cleared and practicing etc?

Anybody know?

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

I waa delusional enough to get really excited after the MS win. It was clearly a one off and any ncaa dream ended last night.

I told a couple friends last night would be a loss...but the real test (and I think one Indiana will pass) begins Sunday.   I think they'll win more than we lose from this point forward and I don't think MSU was a one-off.  I thought last night was going to be difficult with Morgan coming off the injury and the mental side of having to prepare for a much bigger, longer team than we are having just had that win.

Green is awful.  This is a recording.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

From what we've seen, Moore is a better player right now than Forrester, right? Forrester can't really play defense without fouling whereas we've seen Moore play some defense and block some shots. Moore also looked like the better rebounder and moves a little better on offense.

Moore must really be in the dog house for something.

I'm open to having my mind changed on Forrester vs Moore.

Neither are ready to play in the Big Ten yet.  Spot minutes at best.  Forrester is incredibly weak defensively and I'm not sure Moore's any better.  Nothing to do with the dog house.  Forrester only played the minutes he did because Morgan was in foul trouble, Smith needed a blow a couple of times, and Davis isn't capable right now of playing 35 minutes.    Gotta' put somebody out there.   Personally?  It looks to me like Forrester cares more about his hair than he does working hard on a basketball floor.

Just now, Old Friend said:

I told a couple friends last night would be a loss...but the real test (and I think one Indiana will pass) begins Sunday.   I think they'll win more than we lose from this point forward and I don't think MSU was a one-off.  I thought last night was going to be difficult with Morgan coming off the injury and the mental side of having to prepare for a much bigger, longer team than we are having just had that win.

Green is awful.  This is a recording.

MSU has been the outlier though since December. The rest of the games are filled with so much  inconsistency. We played great at MSU but it also helped that they were what, 8-22 from the FT line? It's hard to have any confidence that this team can string together wins, which typically coincides with some sort of consistent play. 

The only consistency is Morgan typically picking up 4 fouls, this team starting slow (except MSU), and expecting to get very little output from the bench. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Jake needs major strength improvement, but he was the quickest to the ball of any of our bigs, including Morgan.

Both Jake and Clifton are both a liability right now. They go through stretches where they are either lost or get bullied around because of strength. I do think Jake has the higher ceiling due to his athleticism which to your point includes that quickness. I certainly hope he can take a big step in year 2 under the S&C coach because Moore still isn't there and may never be. 

I agree that there has been some progress and development. Smith is the prime example. Is he still making dumb mistakes, yes. But, he is learning his role on this team and Archie has him playing off his strengths. Al is another that has progressed. Injuries have hurt is in a HUGE way. We are behind in overall development because of this. I still have faith.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Ugh, it's the Alaksa curse.  Olivia was supposed to get this up and running since she got us a W in the Michigan State game.  If we lose tonight..............................................!

Geez, you make a small spelling error and the guy goes ballistic on you.    ALASKA - there, feeling all better are we now?  lol

Ok everyone- I did it! I cursed us for this game. Please accept my apologies, i will never again start a game thread. Damn, i suck :(