Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) PF - Zeke Nnaji to Arizona

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Trusting that Romeo is one and done, we will have three guards on our roster in 2019, not four. I've not read anyone who believes Jerome or Damezi can play minutes at the two except wishful fans on message boards. And while I believe our current players will improve before the 2019 season rolls around, I can't say with any certainty they will improve to level where we trust them to start on a Big Ten championship caliber team. It took Yogi four years to get to that point. Some like Curtis Jones don't show improvement at all.

Pretty sure Archie even said that was his plan. Besides his strength is shooting. I wonder if he could be interested in being a SG

Trusting that Romeo is one and done, we will have three guards on our roster in 2019, not four. I've not read anyone who believes Jerome or Damezi can play minutes at the two except wishful fans on message boards. And while I believe our current players will improve before the 2019 season rolls around, I can't say with any certainty they will improve to level where we trust them to start on a Big Ten championship caliber team. It took Yogi four years to get to that point. Some like Curtis Jones don't show improvement at all.

Wait what? It took Yogi four years to do what? Start on a Big Ten Championship team? He did that his freshman year. Improve? Pretty sure he did every year. I don’t know what he has to do with your argument but you shot yourself in the foot bringing him into it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t think we can take Brooks, TJD, and Nnaji. Ideally, we get two good forwards and a point guard in this class.

This is where I am. 3 forwards are a luxury if we take 4. Not sure how many impact guards are out there. I think we at least need a rotational guy.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

This is where I am. 3 forwards are a luxury if we take 4. Not sure how many impact guards are out there. I think we at least need a rotational guy.

I think we are in the mix with enough rotational guards well land one. 

I still get the feeling we are recruiting as if Arvhie feels Smith or Hunter is gone

I don’t think people understand that Brooks wants to play the 1-3. Seriously. Can he? Well, he brings the ball up often in AAU. I believe he can handle the 2 in certain lineups.

I could be wrong but I’m certain that is his plan.

I don’t think people understand that Brooks wants to play the 1-3. Seriously. Can he? Well, he brings the ball up often in AAU. I believe he can handle the 2 in certain lineups.

I get that vibe as well just coming from the reports from AAU. Hopefully he can pull minutes at the two if he comes here. If he could that would be awesome!

9 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Wait what? It took Yogi four years to do what? Start on a Big Ten Championship team? He did that his freshman year. Improve? Pretty sure he did every year. I don’t know what he has to do with your argument but you shot yourself in the foot bringing him into it.

Yeah, I suppose I did. You're certainly correct that even as a freshman Yogi started every game for a team that won the Big Ten. If surrounded by talented players, I suppose there's no reason one of our veteran guards couldn't do the same.

My thought in bringing up Yogi was that I didn't trust him as a reliable ball handler as a freshman. He did improve, every season, and by his senior year I was totally confident every time he brought the ball up the court. Brass Cannon is correct that one of our current guards could certainly improve to that point by the 2019 season as well. I'm just not ready to assume that they will. I'm also not ready to trust in our current guards, given their play at the position last season, not until that trust has been earned on the court. Your mileage may vary, but I think the staff believes they need to upgrade the position as well, given their pursuit of DJ Carton, and Darius Garland before him.

Edited by Maedhros

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What kids want sometimes isn’t reality. I have no doubt in my mind he wants to play the 2. The question we need to ask is, can he consistently knock down the 3? Can he get by defenders on the perimeter? Is his handle good enough? 

Doing these things in AAU is one thing, but doing it at the college level where defense is head and shoulders above anything he’s seen is another. 

I believe he can get there eventually, but as a freshman I don’t think he will be ready.

Yeah, I suppose I did. You're certainly correct that even as a freshman Yogi started every game for a team that won the Big Ten. If surrounded by talented players, I suppose there's no reason one of our veteran guards couldn't do the same.
My thought in bringing up Yogi was that I didn't trust him as a reliable ball handler as a freshman. He did improve, every season, and by his senior year I was totally confident every time he brought the ball up the court. Brass Cannon is correct that one of our current guards could certainly improve to that point by the 2019 season as well. I'm just not ready to assume that they will. I'm also not ready to trust in our current guards, given their play at the position last season, not until that trust has been earned on the court. Your mileage may vary, but I think the staff believes they need to upgrade the position as well, given their pursuit of DJ Carton, and Darius Garland before him.

That is fair. Thanks for the clarification!

3 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

I'll admit I've known about this kid for about the last minute when I was looking at a list of our offers. Where did these IU predictions come from?

Probably based on his interest in Music. How many basketball schools also have a world class music school?

that has a former teammate of his and plays the defense he knows how to play

Nnaji and TJD seem to have similar playing styles. Do we take both?

I don’t remember TJD showing that kind of range in the highlight film I’ve seen. Could be wrong though. If Zeke has legit 3-pt range, or consistent range out to 15’, I could see us taking both. TJD in the post and Zeke stretching things a bit. Just a thought.