Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

2018-2019 Rotation Discussion Thread

I bet in practice Archie will be figuring out pretty quick who the best 10 guys are.  Then we will see how that translates in real games.  Then modify.  Practice all stars don't always make game all stars.  Then finding out which combinations work best..........

I'm excited to find out.  

Morgan 
Smith
McRoberts 
Romeo 
Green 

Or 
Morgan 
Smith 
Romeo 
Green 
RP 

Those are the only two starting lineups I can see for next season. 
Fitzner, Thompson, Hunter, Durham, and RP or McRoberts off the bench(whoever doesn't start). 
You likely to see that first lineup imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You play the right 5.. doesn't have to be the best 5. 

I get what you guys are saying about fit. I just hope there's a more talented option to fit into Mcroberts role. Just don't like playing good teams 4-5 on offense with him on the floor, but hey if he still is the best option than it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I get what you guys are saying about fit. I just hope there's a more talented option to fit into Mcroberts role. Just don't like playing good teams 4-5 on offense with him on the floor.

I get what you are saying and I partly agree.  However, don't think of McBob as a walk-on.  He is better/more beneficial than at least 50% of D1 scholarship players out there.  On a scale of IQ and Hustle, McBob is near the top in the country.  He's not the normal walk-on and he wasn't a walk-on at Vermont.  

But yeah, I wish our more gifted players played with his intensity.  

I get what you are saying and I partly agree.  However, don't think of McBob as a walk-on.  He is better/more beneficial than at least 50% of D1 scholarship players out there.  On a scale of IQ and Hustle, McBob is near the top in the country.  He's not the normal walk-on and he wasn't a walk-on at Vermont.  
But yeah, I wish our more gifted players played with his intensity.  

I completely agree the only reason I was even referring to him as a walk on was just more of a statement of the fact that I hope out of 13 others players we have a more talented role player. He's better than a walk on but he's also not good enough to start on a contending team.

5 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I completely agree the only reason I was even referring to him as a walk on was just more of a statement of the fact that I hope out of 13 others players we have a more talented role player. He's better than a walk on but he's also not good enough to start on a contending team.

But he could easily be 20% better as a Senior and that could elevate him past some guys. 

He's pretty trustworthy that he's not going to screw the pooch. There's something to be said about a steady hand.

But he could easily be 20% better as a Senior and that could elevate him past some guys. 
He's pretty trustworthy that he's not going to screw the pooch. There's something to be said about a steady hand.

Well if he's developed an offensive game I'm all for seeing him display it, he works his tail off and I appreciate that. I'm also all good for if some of our wings are struggling and Archie wants to slow it down and just get good defense and good IQ than being him in. Like Old Friend said in another thread I'm all for him at 10 min a game.

13 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Well if he's developed an offensive game I'm all for seeing him display it, he works his tail off and I appreciate that. I'm also all good for if some of our wings are struggling and Archie wants to slow it down and just get good defense and good IQ than being him in. Like Old Friend said in another thread I'm all for him at 10 min a game.

Fair enough, but why do people think Moore will be better, Green will be better, Smith will be better, But Al and McBob will still have the same old limitations of last year.

If McBob avg's 7 and 4 during his 10 minutes, you wouldn't be in favor of it being 20 minutes?

17 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

The following is an extremely young lineup, but thinking of the best possible outcomes coming true developmentally by March for all of these guys, just dream about how good this group could be when they are on the floor together:

Phinisee

Langford

Hunter

Smith

Morgan

I really like this lineup. Like you said they are really young but by tournament time they could be a really really tough unit.

19 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

The following is an extremely young lineup, but thinking of the best possible outcomes coming true developmentally by March for all of these guys, just dream about how good this group could be when they are on the floor together:

Phinisee

Langford

Hunter

Smith

Morgan

Besides the potential ceiling of this group, you have experienced guys line Green, McRoberts, and Fitzner coming off the bench.

19 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I really like this lineup. Like you said they are really young but by tournament time they could be a really really tough unit.

That group looks like it can score in so many ways.

17 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Besides the potential ceiling of this group, you have experienced guys line Green, McRoberts, and Fitzner coming off the bench.

So many options the way this roster has been constructed I am drooling.

38 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Phinisee

Langford

Hunter

Smith

Morgan

Morgan would wear down again i feel. Could hurt us quite a bit come tourney time. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Morgan would wear down again i feel. Could hurt us quite a bit come tourney time. 

I don't mean that this should be the group taking all the minutes.  I am saying look at the potential of that group, if they can all reach their fullest potential by March.  That is an athletic group with decent size capable of scoring on you hard at every position.

9 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

So many options the way this roster has been constructed I am drooling.

Chris007 posted this back in late April... "I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring."

With that being said by someone close to the action, I'd be surprised if Phinisee started over Green. With the De'Ron injury situation, I think the following lineup might be realistic (and ideal?) given what Archie runs...

• PG - Devonte Green
  • SG - Romeo Langford
  • F - Justin Smith
  • F - Juwan Morgan
  • C - Evan Fitzner (or maybe Race, but he's listed at 6'8")

If Devonte can keep things under control and Justin has made the leap like Chris007 suggests, then this could be a scary good starting lineup with some real skill coming off the bench. Just my 2 cents...

3 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Chris007 posted this back in late April... "I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring."

With that being said by someone close to the action, I'd be surprised if Phinisee started over Green. With the De'Ron injury situation, I think the following lineup might be realistic (and ideal?) given what Archie runs...

• PG - Devonte Green
  • SG - Romeo Langford
  • F - Justin Smith
  • F - Juwan Morgan

If Devonte can keep things under control and Justin has made the leap like Chris007 suggests, then this could be a scary good starting lineup with some real skill coming off the bench. Just my 2 cents...

I like this lineup but Green and Morgan will have to show they've improved their shooting.  In the future, I'd like to see 4 or 5 good to great shooters that can spread the floor.  Smith has a nice stroke but didn't have that many attempts from deep.  If he takes that huge frosh to soph leap he could be a + shooter from range.  Morgan also has the ability to be a consistent shooter.  IF those guys shoot at a higher percentage, that would give us 3 players (Romeo, Smith, Morgan) that could post their man, 4 players (Green, Romeo, Smith, Morgan) that could take their man off the dribble, and all 5 that could shoot from deep.  That's a hard lineup to defend.

10 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

• PG - Devonte Green
  • SG - Romeo Langford
  • F - Justin Smith
  • F - Juwan Morgan

Yes, but remember the freshmen have not yet arrived on campus, and I am not saying that this should be the starting lineup Day 1.  Look at the ceiling of that group developing to their potential by March combined with the rest of the team and drool with me.  The mix and match options with the new roster allow for so many different possibilities of 5 on the floor at a time.  I like the 5 you presented too.

Just now, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Yes, but remember the freshmen have not yet arrived on campus, and I am not saying that this should be the starting lineup Day 1.  Look at the ceiling of that group developing to their potential by March combined with the rest of the team and drool with me.

I don't know, man... I think that's a pretty drool-worthy lineup myself, lol. Juwan is already a stud and per Chris007, Justin is dominating everyone. We already know Romeo's a stud too and Devonte is sort of a "trick or treat" stud, haha. I think Phinisee coming in is actually going to push Devonte to another level, but hopefully that's just not wishful thinking. I really can't see Archie wanting to play Juwan at the 5, but maybe. Regardless, I definitely like our options more this year.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I like this lineup but Green and Morgan will have to show they've improved their shooting.  In the future, I'd like to see 4 or 5 good to great shooters that can spread the floor.  Smith has a nice stroke but didn't have that many attempts from deep.  If he takes that huge frosh to soph leap he could be a + shooter from range.  Morgan also has the ability to be a consistent shooter.  IF those guys shoot at a higher percentage, that would give us 3 players (Romeo, Smith, Morgan) that could post their man, 4 players (Green, Romeo, Smith, Morgan) that could take their man off the dribble, and all 5 that could shoot from deep.  That's a hard lineup to defend.

Can you explain what you mean by "but Green and Morgan will have to show they've improved their shooting." Juwan is a starter regardless of whether his shot is exactly the same as last year or improved (assuming he's coming back). With Devonte, you could convince me that he's not a starter, but I think he'll be improved all-around (fingers crossed b/c I think he's got some real potential).