Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

Three Year Rebuild?

I have seen this posted many times and I am trying to figure out what in the hell you guys are talking about. Three years for what? To make the tournament? To win the B1G? It sounds cool? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah this has been floating around a number of different places. Not many answers as to what that goal actually is. I haven’t questioned that we are re-building but I never understood the time frame. My personal benchmark for success is, and has always been, perennial NCAA births with blue blood recruiting. Top 15 annually. I think what they are saying is it will take Archie 3 years to begin achieving this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To be a team worthy of amounting to anything worthwhile.

We likely won't be there next year but there is no guarantee of that. And sans Romeo, I'm willing to predict we won't be a predicted tournament team. (Not to say, we won't make it, but if we did it'd be a surprise.)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until the third year to be a team competing for the Big Ten, tournament, and Sweet 16 or better.

2017-2018:
Solid with a lot of deficiencies. Toughness, IQ, shooting, understanding of the system..

2018-2019:
Better with a bubble team. Better leadership, shooting, but young and frosh learning the system. More talent that fits though.

2019-2020:
Tourney team that competes with the top end of the Big Ten. A point guard and leaders emerge. Shooting is there and a noticeable talent upgrade. The 2018 class starts producing and the 2019 class is extremely talented.

The thing I'm most looking for is if CAM and co. Can maintain that with consistently finishing towards the top of the Big Ten and making runs in the tourney.

For me, it started with CAM saying it takes about three years to get his defensive principles working the way he wants. Also, year two will be the first of his guys in the program. By year three he'll have two of his classes on campus so I would hope we will have a good idea what HIS team's look like. I don't put specific expectations on the timeline but I want to see a steady rise in the conference standings and, hopefully, a big dance appearance next year. I do want to see us consistently relevant nationally after he has completed a recruiting cycle.

One of my patients (another diehard Hoosier) calls him "Mid-Major Miller". It drives me mad. Everytime we are getting thumped by another team this year, this phrase is resonating in my brain.

Can't wait to hopefully be on the level with elite programs again. Please let it be.

I think if we are just taking it one step at a time we should be going to the tournament next next year. We aren’t going from where we are to top of the B1G in one or two years, but we should be top 5 of B1G by next year. B1G doesn’t exactly look strong after this year and it’s pretty weak this year.

This is with or without Romeo btw. I have a feeling we go after a grad transfer if we miss on Romeo. Which even 3 months ago everyone was ecstatic over the top 10-15 class we are getting in Archie’s first year when it’s said and done. We have solid players moving forward. Juwan for one more year along with Davis should lead to a tournament appearance imo.

I think if we are just taking it one step at a time we should be going to the tournament next next year. We aren’t going from where we are to top of the B1G in one or two years, but we should be top 5 of B1G by next year. B1G doesn’t exactly look strong after this year and it’s pretty weak this year.

Based on what though? Based on our actual roster it's hard to see. (Hopefully several of those fresh faces are ready to shine). Based on hope and improvement, sure. Ideally we are a tournament team next year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

No way is he "mid major" quality.  He is simply an actual BASKETBALL coach that still believes in good defense and running half court offensive sets.  May not be the "modern way" but with kids that fit his style of play, he will be very successful imo.  

No way is he "mid major" quality.  He is simply an actual BASKETBALL coach that still believes in good defense and running half court offensive sets.  May not be the "modern way" but with kids that fit his style of play, he will be very successful imo.  

I tend to agree. That's why it irks me more. However, to his point, he is correct for now.

Archie will prove him wrong eventually and that'll be a sweet day for me.

3 years until we get back to the peak we reached with Crean.  

We're not doing anything 2017/2018, next season we'll probably be a tournament team (if we get Romeo), and 2019/2020 we'll have the developed talent enough to compete for a conference title and Sweet 16.

After that, we're hoping Archie can lead us farther.

5 minutes ago, IUHAHN82 said:

What do you mean he "believes in good defense?"  What coach doesn't?

I hate bringing this up, because I like Archie, but look at Dayton's Kenpom defensive rankings under him.  You can't look at that data and say he's a good defensive coach, unfortunately.  His best defense was in the 40s I think.

May or may not have been the best way to say what I was thinking.  Point being, I just see him as more of an old school type of basketball mind.  Whether defense improves from current status or from Dayton times, I believe he TRIES to put defense as a higher priority than other coaches.

One of my patients (another diehard Hoosier) calls him "Mid-Major Miller". It drives me mad. Everytime we are getting thumped by another team this year, this phrase is resonating in my brain.

Can't wait to hopefully be on the level with elite programs again. Please let it be.

Going to take a guess and say the guy wanted Alford?

Going to take a guess and say the guy wanted Alford?

Good question. I don't know for sure who he was rooting for. You are probably right. I know his family is intimately connected to IUFB and they loved Wilson as our coach and have lots of issues with Allen and don't think he is the caliber we need from a pure football standpoint. He and his family think Wilson got a raw deal.

But yeah, he might have been riding the Donovan hope train too, I'm not sure.

Based on what though? Based on our actual roster it's hard to see. (Hopefully several of those fresh faces are ready to shine). Based on hope and improvement, sure. Ideally we are a tournament team next year.

Based on expected improvement of basic skills of one year to the next. On top of that we won’t go into next year’s practices having to reinvent the wheel. Far from hope actually. I have seen it many times over at many places. The first year is the hangover and the second year is growth. MSU won’t be near this year’s quality. Minny won’t either. I see Maryland and OSU moving up too. I see is in that top 5 range. We will see, but I think dropping Newkirk and Johnson will be huge. No matter which way anyone cuts it we will be more athletic. We aren’t losing shooters. At worst Morgan, Davis, Smith, and Al will be here and most likely improve, and the rest are a flush to what we lose. That will be around 18-22 wins.

3 years until we get back to the peak we reached with Crean.  
We're not doing anything 2017/2018, next season we'll probably be a tournament team (if we get Romeo), and 2019/2020 we'll have the developed talent enough to compete for a conference title and Sweet 16.
After that, we're hoping Archie can lead us farther.

So 3 years to win a B1G and Sweet 16? Maybe. I don’t know how we can write off next year until we know who is coming or going not only for us but other teams. I would be willing to bet we add someone even if Romeo doesn’t come here. A grad transfer that can step in and hit a shot would be huge. The absolutes a year plus out are just funny to be honest.

The promises Glass and Archie were making this summer. Year 3 maybe 4.

Yep unless with get some 5 stars not fair to expect next year's frosh to get us to the dance. None are instant impact probably. Threes years is reaity

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk