Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2017 B1G Tournament

Well at least we know how to win in OT now and get golden goals which could be huge the rest of the year. We had three in four years I believe between 2012 and 2015 (PSU in 12, Michigan in 13 in Big Ten Tourney and St Louis in 15). Since 2016 this is our 3rd golden goal win of 2017 and 5th in last 2 years so we've learned that aspect of our game at least. We have gone to OT in last 4 games and are 2-0-2 which with soccer is about as good as can be hoped.

Now with all that said we need our offense to pick up as OSU will certainly try to park the bus (albeit with a worse D) but if we can get one early like we did against them last time and were doing all year till recently we will win big. The big difference this year from last up until the last 4 games was teams were parking the bus and we were breaking them down early in the game for a goal and got them out of that annoying formation. Last 4 games we are having a hard time doing that so we are going scoreless and heavily peppering shots deep into the game.

I'll be at Grand Park Friday (leaving work a bit early since I work and live in Indy) and Sunday if we win. Any tourney games in Bloomington I will also attend (which we may have wrapped up all 3 potential tourney games in Bloomington till college cup with this win).

Giddy for this team still but need to get the offense back in gear.   

Finally saw the goal. Heard the audio of the call when it happened but needed my full screen to answer an urgent email while the goal took place (fortunately I didn't shout and draw attention to myself to rest of office when it happened and merely smiled).

I had my small screen browser page in the corner most of game while doing work on the rest of the computer screen for the most part. However, a few times I needed my full screen for work tasks including the game winner. Surprisingly work comes first. LOL

Nice job by Dorsey bringing ball in the box on the right side and than side pass to Thomas in middle who overtook 2 defenders going left and finally put it past the goalie at point blank range for game winner.  

Somebody talk to me.  As I've gotten older and have spent my time raising kids, I've lost track a little bit with the men's soccer program.  How are we now as a national power vs what we were under Coach Yeagley?  I know we're always in the conversation, but I truly don't know whether or not we're where we used to be or at some level lower than that.   Soccer fans, help me.  

36 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Somebody talk to me.  As I've gotten older and have spent my time raising kids, I've lost track a little bit with the men's soccer program.  How are we now as a national power vs what we were under Coach Yeagley?  I know we're always in the conversation, but I truly don't know whether or not we're where we used to be or at some level lower than that.   Soccer fans, help me.  

I'm not the expert whatsoever, but I do know that we're still under Coach Yeagley - Todd Yeagley, son of the legendary Jerry Yeagley.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Aaron and ccg are far and away more in touch with the program than I am, but this year has seen us return to the conversation as a national power ranked #1 or #2 behind Wake Forest depending upon which poll you look at.  We have an outstanding freshman goalkeeper, Trey Muse from Louisville, KY, who recorded a scoreless streak of 697 minutes and 37 seconds with the help of a very stingy team defense.  We lost the opportunity to win the B1G season outright but hopefully we'll win the B1G tournament and do very well in the NCAA.

11 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Aaron and ccg are far and away more in touch with the program than I am, but this year has seen us return to the conversation as a national power ranked #1 or #2 behind Wake Forest depending upon which poll you look at.  We have an outstanding freshman goalkeeper, Trey Muse from Louisville, KY, who recorded a scoreless streak of 697 minutes and 37 seconds with the help of a very stingy team defense.  We lost the opportunity to win the B1G season outright but hopefully we'll win the B1G tournament and do very well in the NCAA.

This is a good summary of this season. 

The 2012 National Championship run was magical. I knew that squad was good, but I didn't think they were championship caliber. Caught fire at the right time. It helps when you have someone like Zavaleta who is a truly exceptional talent. 

The next few years after that were a little more rocky. The team was still good (2013 was rough), but they've struggled to get the big wins.The team won the Big Ten Tournament Title in 2013, but there's a bit of a drought on the regular season title. With Maryland in the conference now, competition has stepped up a bit.  A lot of draws and quality performances the last few seasons, but the goals haven't always been there.

That's been the main difference so far this year. The defense is championship caliber and the attack has matched for almost the entire season. Everyone knew the freshmen were going to be good, but I don't think we knew they'd be this good. I'm confident that this team is one of the 3-4 best in the country, but weird things can happen in a tournament.  

Well tomorrow's the day. Everyone who is going better bundle up. I will have to get my winter gear out for the first time since March of last year. I'll try to provide updates but it may be to cold and impossible to type with gloves on my hands. I'll write an update at halftime and post game if nothing else. Remember game is on BTN at 2:30pm so hopefully most people who are not working will be able to watch or go.