Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brandon Johns and Darius Bazley are top 40 kids that we were actively recruiting, who visited, that we wanted, that committed already to other schools.

Yes, the top 10-20 may wait longer than normal but either of these kids are a major recruiting coup, and my guess is whoever we end up getting for those positions will be lesser players.

It's not panic mode by any stretch, but missing both these guys was less than ideal.

Its been extraordinarily quiet with who we've reached out to and I love that. A narrow committed focus is great. It will work out in the long run, I believe. Going to be interesting to see who gets our attention here in July.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Brandon Johns and Darius Bazley are top 40 kids that we were actively recruiting, who visited, that we wanted, that committed already to other schools.

Yes, the top 10-20 may wait longer than normal but either of these kids are a major recruiting coup, and my guess is whoever we end up getting for those positions will be lesser players.

It's not panic mode by any stretch, but missing both these guys was less than ideal.

Its been extraordinarily quiet with who we've reached out to and I love that. A narrow committed focus is great. It will work out in the long run, I believe. Going to be interesting to see who gets our attention here in July.

I'm not in panic mode either. The recruits we need at positions of need haven't committed, yet. Although, I would never argue adding a talent like Johns or Bazely.

I think if we can get an immediate impact guard or two we'll have a good chance in 2018. Experienced frontcourt and solid, experienced backcourt. An impact wing and guard for 2018 would do it for me.

We have a realistic chance with a few versatile forwards in 2019 that could have us contending too. It'll be interesting how the 2018 shapes up and how next season effects our 2019 recruiting. I believe once CAM shows what he capable of at IU the recruiting will be a lot easier for the staff and less stressful for the fan base.

We did get Johns and Bazley to visit unofficially in June but in my opinion Johns coming to IU was always going to be an uphill battle for the new staff. He was unofficially visiting schools building relationships with coaching staffs well before CAM jumped in as IU's coach. We differ in on the impact of missing these 2 specifically.
Totally agree on the top 20 players not committing until April. Composite 247 has 22 5 stars. 3 are committed today Porter at Missouri ( dads assistant coach), smart at lsu ( local kid), and auburn has a kid from Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

50 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Definitely. But, by looking at Old Farts post from April 17th, Neither were on our radar. (at least OUR BTB Radar)

The summer AAU circuit kicks off this next weekend.  Right now I have the following '18 prospects.

Anderson, Damezi
Boucher, Austin
Carter, Nahziah
Easley, Kevin
Garland, Darius
Henry, Aaron
Hunter, Eric
Hunter, Jerome
Jallow, Musa
Langford, Romeo
Phinisee, Robert

'19 Prospects

Brooks, Keion
Johnson, David
Lawal, Abba
Watford, Trendon
Wiseman, James

Couple of the names are 'total strangers' but their names have surfaced in some connection to CAM.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Definitely. But, by looking at Old Farts post from April 17th, Neither were on our radar. (at least OUR BTB Radar)

The summer AAU circuit kicks off this next weekend.  Right now I have the following '18 prospects.

Anderson, Damezi
Boucher, Austin
Carter, Nahziah
Easley, Kevin
Garland, Darius
Henry, Aaron
Hunter, Eric
Hunter, Jerome
Jallow, Musa
Langford, Romeo
Phinisee, Robert

'19 Prospects

Brooks, Keion
Johnson, David
Lawal, Abba
Watford, Trendon
Wiseman, James

Couple of the names are 'total strangers' but their names have surfaced in some connection to CAM.

Carter is gone

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Carter is gone

Jallow is also. Both for 2017.

I was just showing that neither Johns nor Bazely seemed to be on our Radar at the start of summer evals and likely committed elsewhere because of lack of relationship building

Just now, HoosierHoops1 said:

Jallow is also. Both for 2017.

I was just showing that neither Johns nor Bazely seemed to be on our Radar at the start of summer evals and likely committed elsewhere because of lack of relationship building

Oh well Bazley was committed elsewhere at the time. We were on even ground for him

Even ground on Bazley plus an advantage to be honest about it as Archie was trying to recruit him to Dayton long ago.

Maybe even ground but in most articles I've read about him committing to Syracuse, IU was never mentioned in those articles about the other schools that missed out (Louisville, Maryland, Georgetown and others were mentioned in non IU publication articles

Maybe griffin who went to Syracuse as an assistant coach was lead recruiter for bazley when Dayton was recruiting him. He mentioned him as one reason why he chose Syracuse

Sounds like a good pickup by Syracuse then. I wonder why he didn't follow Archie to IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Sounds like a good pickup by Syracuse then. I wonder why he didn't follow Archie to IU

He's a Syracuse alum and there was a spot on Boeheim's staff available when Mike Hopkins took the UW job this spring. I'm sure Griffin is probably angling to become Syracuse HC eventually. 

He's a Syracuse alum and there was a spot on Boeheim's staff available when Mike Hopkins took the UW job this spring. I'm sure Griffin is probably angling to become Syracuse HC eventually. 

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=p51iWc7aB4m3jwSaiI-wAw&q=you+goonie+gif&oq=you+goonie&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.0l2j0i5i30k1l3.1700.3513.0.4924.10.10.0.0.0.0.145.996.7j3.10.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..0.10.994.PiIIYRIsKds#imgrc=nKzpNA-DlkHtWM:

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Oh well Bazley was committed elsewhere at the time. We were on even ground for him

He had a list when he committed to Ohio State. Whomever was 2,3,4... Probably started on a little higher ground.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

He didn't pick Archie the 1st time, but it sounds like Griffin might have swung one of his other choices to the top.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Alex Bozich -  The finals Rivals rankings for the class of 2018 are out:

Jerome Hunter 49 (4-star)

Robert Phinisee 99 (4-star)

Damezi Anderson 114 (4-star)

Jake Forrester 127 (4-star)

#iubb target Romeo Langford is No. 6 overall and a 5-star prospect.

I find it hard to believe that there are 5 better players than Romeo. That being said I think this is actually a lot more fair than the previous rankings. Jerome is a top 40-50 player and Phinisee should be in the top 100 somewhere. Still unsure about Damezi and Forrester. 

Alex Bozich -  The finals Rivals rankings for the class of 2018 are out:
Jerome Hunter 49 (4-star)
Robert Phinisee 99 (4-star)
Damezi Anderson 114 (4-star)
Jake Forrester 127 (4-star)

#iubb target Romeo Langford is No. 6 overall and a 5-star prospect.

I hope this is the baseline recruiting classes we see under Archie. Getting, keeping, and developing these type of players is what will keep IU relevant. Great work in your first class Archie.

2 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I find it hard to believe that there are 5 better players than Romeo. That being said I think this is actually a lot more fair than the previous rankings. Jerome is a top 40-50 player and Phinisee should be in the top 100 somewhere. Still unsure about Damezi and Forrester. 

Here's a real headscratcher: verbalcommits 2018 rankings  That site has good information on commits and transfers, but how they can rank Romeo Langford at #41 is nuts (maybe it's run by a pUKe fan).