Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Hey guys, enough of the heated back and forth. We've let this thread have a lot of room for discussion, but all opinions should be allowed on Crean.

Bitter, don't go after posters. You did, so don't question it. Lets have good civil debates, and like Alaska said, let's drink beer lol.

Look, point fingers if it helps you, but people with big ideas and no concrete plan for how we will achieve them are the reason we've had three consecutive mediocre hires since Bob Knight was fired.

The people in charge of hiring were impatient, and let the impatience of the fans dictate when decisions needed to be made instead of waiting for the right hire.

again how is eight years impatience? You're just circling the wagons to prove a point that doesn't make much sense.

again how is eight years impatience? You're just circling the wagons to prove a point that doesn't make much sense.

What has he done lately? He sort of bought himself more time with the 2011-2013 seasons. Can buy himself more time with similar results this year. I don't know who you're so eager to move on to, but jumping ship as it's starting to right itself certainly isn't the answer.

Think about this, if Crean wins the B1G Title and makes it to a Sweet Sixteen, which I think is fair to expect based on the team and this season thus far, he'll have three Sweet Sixteens and two B1G Titles in five seasons. Why keep tacking on the first three years when the last five in this scenario should be considered at least on par with what a strong program should be doing. The past two seasons were horrendous, as many have pointed out, and are not acceptable, but a strong finish to this season creates a real convincing five year resume for Crean at Indiana. Coaches can change and improve, and maybe Crean is doing just that.

Once again though, if Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan were available, throw everything overboard and dive in after them.

I think by impatience he means more the fact that people are saying fire him just for the sake of firing him and are not offering any legitimate replacement hire.

There are legit hires. There just are guaranteed successes. But frankly there are more than a few guys out their with better resumes than Crean had. But none of them appear to have greatness in them. To find greatness you have to take a chance.

What has he done lately? He sort of bought himself more time with the 2011-2013 seasons. Can buy himself more time with similar results this year. I don't know who you're so eager to move on to, but jumping ship as it's starting to right itself certainly isn't the answer.

Think about this, if Crean wins the B1G Title and makes it to a Sweet Sixteen, which I think is fair to expect based on the team and this season thus far, he'll have three Sweet Sixteens and two B1G Titles in five seasons. Why keep tacking on the first three years when the last five in this scenario should be considered at least on par with what a strong program should be doing. The past two seasons were horrendous, as many have pointed out, and are not acceptable, but a strong finish to this season creates a real convincing five year resume for Crean at Indiana. Coaches can change and improve, and maybe Crean is doing just that.

Once again though, if Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan were available, throw everything overboard and dive in after them.

Sweet sixteens aren't the goal here though

I think by impatience he means more the fact that people are saying fire him just for the sake of firing him and are not offering any legitimate replacement hire.

It's not exactly easy to make a list of legitimate hires because no one here knows for certain if a coach would or wouldn't be interested; it's just speculation.

It's easy to sit back and say coach a or b wouldn't be interested for reasons c or d; and if you were in their position maybe you wouldn't, but your thought process may not be the same as theirs.  It's really easy to say "Stevens wouldn't be interested because he's in the NBA" and maybe you or another person wouldn't be in his situation; we do know this was his dream job, at least at one point, maybe it wouldn't matter to you but you can't say it wouldn't to him plus there's supposedly an out built into his contract for this job.

We can't say for certain one way or the other unless we're them.

Sweet sixteens aren't the goal here though

The goal is to fire someone who has three Sweet Sixteens and two B1G Titles in five years for an unproven MVC coach on the off chance that they're the next Coach K? Even though the odds of that being true are incredibly, incredibly low, and the coach has done nothing to prove that the odds aren't relevant?

We are not going to agree.

It's not exactly easy to make a list of legitimate hires because no one here knows for certain if a coach would or wouldn't be interested; it's just speculation.

It's easy to sit back and say coach a or b wouldn't be interested for reasons c or d; and if you were in their position maybe you wouldn't, but your thought process may not be the same as theirs. It's really easy to say "Stevens wouldn't be interested because he's in the NBA" and maybe you or another person wouldn't be in his situation; we do know this was his dream job, at least at one point, maybe it wouldn't matter to you but you can't say it wouldn't to him plus there's supposedly an out built into his contract for this job.

We can't say for certain one way or the other unless we're them.

Yes, but I think Brass and Bitter are on a different thought process than you. I'm with you; fire Crean for Brad Stevens. If he's available, take the shot. Those two seem to just want to fire Crean, and take a gamble on this seasons hot new thing. Regardless of who is "available", I don't see a coach in college basketball who I'd want to bring in at Indiana (outside of Izzo and Coach K, but that's not even in the universe of reality).

Sean Miller is my top choice. Would he leave Arizona? Idk. Probably not. But maybe. We aren't getting Brad Stevens that's is fact. No one is dumb enough to leave an NBA head coaching job when you're successful, have a great front office and a bright future for the college ranks.

Yes, but I think Brass and Bitter are on a different thought process than you. I'm with you; fire Crean for Brad Stevens. If he's available, take the shot. Those two seem to just want to fire Crean, and take a gamble on this seasons hot new thing. Regardless of who is "available", I don't see a coach in college basketball who I'd want to bring in at Indiana (outside of Izzo and Coach K, but that's not even in the universe of reality).

My point was thought that we can't really put together a list of "legitimate replacements", that's why one isn't presented.

Sean Miller is my top choice. Would he leave Arizona? Idk. Probably not. But maybe. We aren't getting Brad Stevens that's is fact. No one is dumb enough to leave an NBA head coaching job when you're successful, have a great front office and a bright future for the college ranks.

Unless you're Brad or his family you don't know.  Maybe you wouldn't, but you can't say for certain what his thought process would be when presented with what was, at least at one point, his dream job that he supposedly has an out for in his contract.  I'm not saying he would, I'm saying no one can say for certain one way or another except for a select group.

That's totally my thought process if you ignore all the times I said Stevens and Donavan are the first 2 options. Drew is option C. And at this point option C is better than Crean.

Unless you're Brad or his family you don't know. Maybe you wouldn't, but you can't say for certain what his thought process would be when presented with what was, at least at one point, his dream job that he supposedly has an out for in his contract. I'm not saying he would, I'm saying no one can say for certain one way or another except for a select group.

C'mon.. let's be realistic. No one.. would ever leave an successful NBA with a great front office for a college coaching job. Doesn't matter what is in their contract or whether it was their dream job. Because a successful NBA team will always be considered a better job. And it is. To try and match the greatness and go beyond the greatness of Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Popovich... and for Stevens.. it is the Celtics. It isn't the Nets or Bucks or Kings. It is the Celtics. That is godly in terms of basketball ranks. You coach the Celtics back into an elite championship contender... you're going to be looked at as one of the greatest of all time. You'll be held higher in the coaching ranks than what you'd have with making Indiana a title contender. No one is leaving that job. If the Celtics sucked then it'd be an idea to entertain. But they dont. They're a Top 5 team in the East. He's not leaving. It isn't a realistic option.

I don't think he should be fired after this season, but for those who do it's not firing him for the sake of firing him. It's firing him because they believe he isn't good enough for Indiana. if the reason for not firing him is for fear that the next guy might not be any better, then we will never be elite again. There are coaches out there other than Brad Stevens who are capable of winning championships at Indiana. Will we hire the right one? I don't know, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I don't think he should be fired after this season, but for those who do it's not firing him for the sake of firing him. It's firing him because they believe he isn't good enough for Indiana. if the reason for not firing him is for fear that the next guy might not be any better, then we will never be elite again. There are coaches out there other than Brad Stevens who are capable of winning championships at Indiana. Will we hire the right one? I don't know, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

We should know that we're getting the guy we want before we fire Crean. Plain and simple. Option C is not an option.