Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

C'mon.. let's be realistic. No one.. would ever leave an successful NBA with a great front office for a college coaching job. Doesn't matter what is in their contract or whether it was their dream job. Because a successful NBA team will always be considered a better job. And it is. To try and match the greatness and go beyond the greatness of Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Popovich... and for Stevens.. it is the Celtics. It isn't the Nets or Bucks or Kings. It is the Celtics. That is godly in terms of basketball ranks. You coach the Celtics back into an elite championship contender... you're going to be looked at as one of the greatest of all time. You'll be held higher in the coaching ranks than what you'd have with making Indiana a title contender. No one is leaving that job. If the Celtics sucked then it'd be an idea to entertain. But they dont. They're a Top 5 team in the East. He's not leaving. It isn't a realistic option.

Obviously you wouldn't.  Different people have different thought processes and priorities.  Me?  It wouldn't matter, if my dream job came calling and I had an out in my contract I would give it serious consideration.

EDIT:  Plus Bob Knight is unanimously considered one of the greatest coaches of all time and he didn't coach in the NBA, he turned down NBA opportunities when he was here IIRC.

Sean Miller is my top choice. Would he leave Arizona? Idk. Probably not. But maybe. We aren't getting Brad Stevens that's is fact. No one is dumb enough to leave an NBA head coaching job when you're successful, have a great front office and a bright future for the college ranks.

Wait, do people really think Boston has a "great front office"? Is it because they vastly overpaid for Amir Johnson, or trading for David Lee, honestly drafting Marcus Smart hasn't really worked out that well either. RJ Hunter, and Rozier haven't done diddly squat this year. So really other than fleecing the Nets (which wasn't too hard given Billy King and Prok being idiots), and getting Thomas, what has that front office done to qualify as being a great front office

We should know that we're getting the guy we want before we fire Crean. Plain and simple. Option C is not an option.

how many of the elite coaches ever have been a sure thing at the time they were hired? Boeheim to Syracuse? K to Duke? Knight to Indiana? Roy Williams to Kansas? Izzo to Michigan State? Then we can get into Billy Donovan, Bo Ryan etc. Not a single one of them were a sure thing when they were hired. Yes, I'm aware that there is a list 50 times that long of coaches who failed but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try, and choose to idle in a state of mediocrity.

Wait, do people really think Boston has a "great front office"? Is it because they vastly overpaid for Amir Johnson, or trading for David Lee, honestly drafting Marcus Smart hasn't really worked out that well either. RJ Hunter, and Rozier haven't done diddly squat this year. So really other than fleecing the Nets (which wasn't too hard given Billy King and Prok being idiots), and getting Thomas, what has that front office done to qualify as being a great front office

Hunter and Rozier are Rookie's. They aren't expected to do much. They got rid of David Lee actually. That Nets trade will last them another 15 years thanks to getting their draft picks unprotected. The Smart draft choice wasn't bad actually because he's a good defender which is what Stevens wants. He has Smart, Bradley, Turner and Crowder that are really good wing defenders. That front office giving the pieces to Bread Stevens that Stevens needs for now. Ainge is also stocking up on assets to make the big trade.. or two... AGAIN. Yes that front office is very good and very loyal to coaches.

how many of the elite coaches ever have been a sure thing at the time they were hired? Boeheim to Syracuse? K to Duke? Knight to Indiana? Roy Williams to Kansas? Izzo to Michigan State? Then we can get into Billy Donovan, Bo Ryan etc. Not a single one of them were a sure thing when they were hired. Yes, I'm aware that there is a list 50 times that long of coaches who failed but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try, and choose to idle in a state of mediocrity.

I understand your point, but I think Crean has us in a position to remain relevant and competitive while taking our time to shop for a coach that has had success already. 

I think there's an overwhelming consensus that Danny Ainge is very good at his job. He made the correct moves to build a contender and win a championship and pulled the plug at the right time. Got great value from the Nets, but like you said I could have traded an empty salt-shaker to the Nets and they would have given up a first round pick. Marcus Smart has been a solid pick. he's not great by any means, but the 2014 draft wasn't fantastic either. 

They have a lot of assets and one of the best coaches in the NBA. If Ainge can build the Celtics into a contender again, he solidifies his status.

The same place Stevens proved himself. Kenpom has Valpo 12 spots behind us. With how many fewer millions spent.

Stevens proved himself with runs to the Natty game. Drew hasn't done a thing in the tourney. 

If he were to make a splash in the tournament this year, he'd certainly gain a lot of credibility.

Hunter and Rozier are Rookie's. They aren't expected to do much. They got rid of David Lee actually. That Nets trade will last them another 15 years thanks to getting their draft picks unprotected. The Smart draft choice wasn't bad actually because he's a good defender which is what Stevens wants. He has Smart, Bradley, Turner and Crowder that are really good wing defenders. That front office giving the pieces to Bread Stevens that Stevens needs for now. Ainge is also stocking up on assets to make the big trade.. or two... AGAIN. Yes that front office is very good and very loyal to coaches.

Lol, calling Turner a "really good wing defender" is actually a pretty funny statement. Dude is a really bad defender.  Yeah, they released David Lee.... after trading for him and discovering how bad he actually is in the league now, great move to give stuff up just to waive him halfway through the year. Hunter and Rozier were brought in as rookies who could provide offense on the perimeter to to a roster that desperately lacks offense, thanks to Smart being horribly inefficient and Bradley never being anything above an average offensive player. And yet neither can get off the bench. Smart was and still is a bad pick, dude is a sieve offensively, 

Golden State, San Antonio, the Heat, the Cavs, and I guess OKC have really good front offices. Boston is middle of the pack, they lose on their moves just as much as they win. They're probably upper middle, but they aren't very good. 

Consistent winning and defense. How horrible. Sounds wisconsinesque

I brought this up earlier...

Drew has an adjusted offense of 135 on KenPom right now. His highest ranked is 41. How do you think a coach who has cracked the top-50 on offense once will bring home a banner? Drew has had 1 top-25 defense and 2 top-50. Is that enough defensive consistency? Drew has generally fielded teams with offenses and defenses ranked ~125. Is that the kind of consistency we are looking for?

And those are adjusted for opponent, so there should be minimal conference bias. Why can Drew win but not excel?

[attachment=3482:1.PNG]

Edit: For the sake of comparison with another Horizon coach

[attachment=3483:2.PNG]

We tweet when we enter the top 25. We're less relevant than Wichita state and Xavier.

Xavier has been more relevant than us for awhile. They've been very consistent for quite some time.

And zero NCAA tourney wins.

Kinda hard as a double digit seed. But once again Crean has no leg to stand on when it comes to tourney success.

And Martin my thinking is that with increased talent and resources Drew could improve his offense. Where as Crean obviously can't improve his defensive lapses.

Lol, calling Turner a "really good wing defender" is actually a pretty funny statement. Dude is a really bad defender. Yeah, they released David Lee.... after trading for him and discovering how bad he actually is in the league now, great move to give stuff up just to waive him halfway through the year. Hunter and Rozier were brought in as rookies who could provide offense on the perimeter to to a roster that desperately lacks offense, thanks to Smart being horribly inefficient and Bradley never being anything above an average offensive player. And yet neither can get off the bench. Smart was and still is a bad pick, dude is a sieve offensively,

Golden State, San Antonio, the Heat, the Cavs, and I guess OKC have really good front offices. Boston is middle of the pack, they lose on their moves just as much as they win. They're probably upper middle, but they aren't very good.

The Cavs? Really? They have one of the worst front offices in sports. They've gotten LeBron. That is all the Cavaliers have done in the history of their franchise. Boston is up with the top. Considering they're only 1 of 7 teams to win an NBA title in the last 17 years.