Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

11 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

The next logical step in comparing numbers for recruiting rankings would be to see which top 100 recruits he landed actually contributed to the program and which ones just took up space until they moved on

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Is this something along the lines you were thinking of?

2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
247 Nat'l. Rank 41 23 64 35 8 4 22 29 22
  4 - Williams  4 - Watford 3 - Oladipo 5 - Zeller 5 - Ferrell 5- VonLeh 5 - Blackmon 5 - Bryant 4 - Davis
  3 - Jones III 4 - Creek 3 - Sheehey 3 - Etherington 4 - Hollowell 4 - Fisher 4 - Johnson 4 - Moran 4 - Jones
  3 - Pritchard 3- Elston 2 - Michel Abell 4 - Perea 4 - Williams 3 - Holt 3 - Anunoby 3 - Green
  3 - Roth 3 - Hulls   Zeisloft 3  - Jurkin 4 - Robinson 3 - Hoetzel   3 - McSwain
  3-  Story 3 -  Capobianco     N/R - Patterson 3 - Davis 2 - Priller   3 - Gelon
  3- Dumes 3 - Muniru       3 - Hartman 2 - April    
  2 - Jobe                

7 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Completely different coaches, but if we fire Crean, most IU fans aren't gonna want another Marquette coach. Less it was Brad Stevens or someone of that level. They beat Creighton without Mo Watson and the win against Nova was great but they shot 17% from 3. I watched the whole game and Nova missed a lot of open shots. It is a good win, but nothing more. WoJo hasn't had any tourney experience and is to much of a risk. That is just how I see it. Mostly everyone but Ronald Nored that has been mentioned has a better resume. Nored coaches in the D League and was on Stevens bench on the Celtics at 26 and that is why I would throw his name in the hat.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

55 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

If we are going to go outside of our dream 2 (Donovan and Stevens) then I would like for us to target someone with Indiana and Midwest ties so that there is already an established recruiting connection

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Are you two serious? 

Why would Brad Stevens ever leave the Boston Celtics? The most winning organization in the history of professional basketball. Maybe if he was losing a bunch of games and likely to be let go.. But the dude is competing for an Eastern Conference title. Stevens is a total pipe dream. Billy Donovan is in the first year of the post Durant era. He's making $6MM/year.. He's not leaving the Thunder to coach Indiana. Come on guys....

Wojo is a much more realistic option and he's on my list. I'd love to have the guy. You're really downplaying beating the defending national champions? Gimmie a break.

Greg Marshall is Tom Crean's equally crazy twin who happens to coach a highly successful mid-major. Please not him. Just give me someone who acts normal on the sidelines if we're gonna take a flyer on someone.

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Wojo beat Nova at home. Hire him!

Another guy who fails to see the big picture... Let me guess, you're a Brad Stevens/Billy Donovan guy too?

I'm not saying, he beat Villanova, hire him! I've followed his career. I grew up living in ACC country and hated the guy. But he's a great teacher of the game who played for K for 4 years as a defensive stud and was an assistant for him for 15 freakin years. I put him on par with some of the younger up and coming coaches whose names are being thrown out there.

Another guy who fails to see the big picture... Let me guess, you're a Brad Stevens/Billy Donovan guy too?

I'm not saying, he beat Villanova, hire him! I've followed his career. I grew up in living in ACC country and hated the guy. But he's a great teacher of the game who played for K for 4 years as a defensive stud and was an assistant for him for 15 freakin years. I put him on par with some of the younger up and coming coaches whose names are being thrown out there.

I'm not beating up on the guy, and I agree Stevens and Donovan aren't going anywhere for a while, but none of what you just said means he'll be successful. He's starting alright at Marquette, but if that's the guy we hire next then I'm really upset with the state of our program.

Are you two serious? 

Why would Brad Stevens ever leave the Boston Celtics? The most winning organization in the history of professional basketball. Maybe if he was losing a bunch of games and likely to be let go.. But the dude is competing for an Eastern Conference title. Stevens is a total pipe dream. Billy Donovan is in the first year of the post Durant era. He's making $6MM/year.. He's not leaving the Thunder to coach Indiana. Come on guys....

Wojo is a much more realistic option and he's on my list. I'd love to have the guy. You're really downplaying beating the defending national champions? Gimmie a break.

I think you missed the part where I said "dream two." I highly doubt we get either one of those which is why I said that I would prefer we find someone else with Midwest or Indiana ties for the recruiting connection. I understand people will feel differently about that and that's fine

I'm not saying, he beat Villanova, hire him! I've followed his career. I grew up living in ACC country and hated the guy. But he's a great teacher of the game who played for K for 4 years as a defensive stud and was an assistant for him for 15 freakin years. I put him on par with some of the younger up and coming coaches whose names are being thrown out there.

Pleeeeease enlighten me about the big picture, oh enlightened one. We aren't getting Stevens or Donovan, so nice try. But you want to hire a guy who has been a head coach at Marquette for 2 or 3 years and not proven much of anything. Maybe in another 3-5 years when he's done something, but people would riot if we hired that guy this offseason or next. I don't care whose regime he was in for 20 years. That's been pretty much debunked.

2 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I'm not beating up on the guy, and I agree Stevens and Donovan aren't going anywhere for a while, but none of what you just said means he'll be successful. He's starting alright at Marquette, but if that's the guy we hire next then I'm really upset with the state of our program.

Who would you realistically want? Just curious. 

Would rather have an up and comer who can grow with this program for decades to come and bring in fresh ideas and a "cool factor" that kids want to see. It goes back to stability. Look at past national champions. They are almost exclusively programs with tenured coaches.

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Pleeeeease enlighten me about the big picture, oh enlightened one. We aren't getting Stevens or Donovan, so nice try. But you want to hire a guy who has been a head coach for 2 or 3 years and not proven much of anything. Maybe in another 3-5 years when he's done something, but people would riot if we hired that guy this offseason or next. I don't care whose regime he was in for 20 years. That's been pretty much debunked.

Wojo has 18 years of coaching experience. He inherited a decimated program then turned around and signed one of the best high school players in the country in Ellington and several four star guys. I really don't know what people expect. Wojo is one of the most desirable young coaches in the country. And has been, even before knocking off the defending national champions. .... In my opinion, this program needs STABILITY. I want a young coach who can grow and be the face of Indiana for decades. There aren't any 40 and under coaches who have won national championships that I'm aware of. I'm not saying Wojo is the guy. I'm just saying that I think he would be a great coach and I would put him on any realistic list of future head coaches. 

Wojo has 18 years of coaching experience..... In my opinion, this program needs STABILITY. I want a young coach who can grow with this program. There aren't any 40 and under coaches who have won national championships that I'm aware of. I'm not saying Wojo is the guy. I'm just saying that I think he would be a great coach and I would put him on any realistic list of future head coaches. 

I think he could be for sure. Someday. But if we stick to the Crean firing timeline/deadline of next spring, (which no one honestly knows...I don't see it happening but whatever) I don't think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on him then. I'm all for a younger guy. I've been very vocal about my desire for Archie Miller on here. He's been dealt some really bad hands at Dayton and has had relative success in those situations. He's my #1 choice that, in my opinion, is realistic and young.

Who would you realistically want? Just curious. 

Would rather have an up and comer who can grow with this program for decades to come and bring in fresh ideas and a "cool factor" that kids want to see. It goes back to stability. Look at past national champions. They are almost exclusively programs with tenured coaches.

I agree I'd like to build around my coach as well. Realistic options I'd like to have are Holtmann, Miller, and Enfield.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I think he could be for sure. Someday. But if we stick to the Crean firing timeline/deadline of next spring, (which no one honestly knows...I don't see it happening but whatever) I don't think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on him then. I'm all for a younger guy. I've been very vocal about my desire for Archie Miller on here. He's been dealt some really bad hands at Dayton and has had relative success in those situations. He's my #1 choice that, in my opinion, is realistic and young.

Archie Miller would be great. Like him a lot. Although he coaches in the A-10 and hasn't landed any noteworthy recruits that I'm aware of. Still, He, Richman, and Wojo are on my short, realistic list. Talk about being dealt a bad hand.. When Williams left Marquette, the program was in shambles. He took like 4 of the starting 5 and all of his recruits followed. Wojo won 20 games in his second year. He's already landed a 5-star recruit and several 4 star guys as well.. I don't see how you could laugh about Wojo and then throw out Archie Miller.

Wojo has 18 years of coaching experience. He inherited a decimated program then turned around and signed one of the best high school players in the country in Ellington and several four star guys. I really don't know what people expect. Wojo is one of the most desirable young coaches in the country. And has been, even before knocking off the defending national champions. .... In my opinion, this program needs STABILITY. I want a young coach who can grow and be the face of Indiana for decades. There aren't any 40 and under coaches who have won national championships that I'm aware of. I'm not saying Wojo is the guy. I'm just saying that I think he would be a great coach and I would put him on any realistic list of future head coaches. 

Hold on... did you just call Marquette decimated? Hmmm... seems that any great coach would only need a few years to turn a program around... And he signed a high profile recruit and won some high profile games? This sounds all too familiar...

21 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I agree I'd like to build around my coach as well. Realistic options I'd like to have are Holtmann, Miller, and Enfield.

Just don't see what any of those guys have done that is much different than the guy I'm throwing out there. But ok. 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Are you two serious? 

He may be on the list, but that list better be long with his name near or at the bottom.  Still a lot of options that are better than him at this point and if we got down to that part of the list then so be it, but it should not even get that far.  

Wojo may have beaten the defending national champs, but Crean also beat Kansas and North Carolina and CTC is who we want gone because he's just not a very good coach so your point is taken with a grain of salt.  

I'm not arguing that he should not be on the list, but I wouldn't put him near the top when there are many others who have better resumes and experience.

Personally, what I want in our next coach is someone who adjusts his game plan for the team he is playing based on the team he has.  Someone who understands X's and O's and runs a successful half court offense but still likes to get out in transition.  A coach who gets the most out of his players regardless of their talent level and uses his players to their strengths. With the recruiting base IU has, these items will make IU a success year in a year out in my opinion.

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Hold on... did you just call Marquette decimated? Hmmm... seems that any great coach would only need a few years to turn a program around... And he signed a high profile recruit and won some high profile games? This sounds all too familiar...

Huh? Are you trying to compare Wojo to Crean? That's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

He may be on the list, but that list better be long with his name near or at the bottom.  Still a lot of options that are better than him at this point and if we got down to that part of the list then so be it, but it should not even get that far.  

Wojo may have beaten the defending national champs, but Crean also beat Kansas and North Carolina and CTC is who we want gone because he's just not a very good coach so your point is taken with a grain of salt.  

I'm not arguing that he should not be on the list, but I wouldn't put him near the top when there are many others who have better resumes and experience.

Personally, what I want in our next coach is someone who adjusts his game plan for the team he is playing based on the team he has.  Someone who understands X's and O's and runs a successful half court offense but still likes to get out in transition.  A coach who gets the most out of his players regardless of their talent level and uses his players to their strengths. With the recruiting base IU has, these items will make IU a success year in a year out in my opinion.

Dude played PG for 4 years at Duke. Was a total defensive stud. Has 15 years of coaching experience directly under the most winning coach in Division 1 basketball history. What you describe you want in a coach is exactly who this guy is so I'm not sure who you think is out there that's got a better resume or knows X's and O's better, but ok.