Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) PF Jake Forrester to IU

If Jake is really a legit 6'10 like his dad says, and possibly still growing, then I think he's going to shoot up in the rankings. By the time his senior year is over and he's heading to Bloomington I'll be very surprised if he's ranked outside the top 100. 

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I very seriously doubt that Archie was handling the bulk of the Phinisee recruitment. Maybe because he's a PG. But Flint was the assistant attached to him. 

Hes already brought us 2 Indiana kids can't really complain that his only value is his east coast ties. 

There's always an assistant attached.  Flint was not hired because he can recruit Indiana.  Don't kid yourself.  Based on what I know, the first recruit Miller contacted after Langford was Phinisee.   Why would you doubt a head coach's role in recruiting?   Even Knight took the lead on mission-critical kids much of the time; and he hated recruiting.    I never used the word "only."    You did.   

The lead recruiter on Phinisee was Archie Miller.   Like I said, the kid might be terrific and a perfect fit.  Flint may end up having value; but the reason he was hired was because of his east coast ties.   The entire university has gone that direction, as has the Big Ten.  I'll never understand it, nor like it; but that's my opinion.   

Archie Miller could be called the lead recruiter on every recruit. He is the head coach after all.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

There's always an assistant attached.  Flint was not hired because he can recruit Indiana.  Don't kid yourself.  Based on what I know, the first recruit Miller contacted after Langford was Phinisee.   Why would you doubt a head coach's role in recruiting?   Even Knight took the lead on mission-critical kids much of the time; and he hated recruiting.    I never used the word "only."    You did.   

Your nitpicking on words to ignore the fact that 2 of the 3 recruits he has been attached to have been from Indiana. 

So yes I think he can recruit Indiana just fine. 

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your nitpicking on words to ignore the fact that 2 of the 3 recruits he has been attached to have been from Indiana. 

So yes I think he can recruit Indiana just fine. 

Who's "he?"  Miller or Flint?   Flint was hired for his east cost relationships (which Miller mentioned early on); and also because of some coaches he knows around here.  Of course he can recruit around the area.  I never said he couldn't.  What's your point other than to argue?   I never said anything about anyone's ability to recruit Indiana, and in fact have been very complimentary so far.    What is your point??   I'm not ignoring anything.  You're arguing for the sake of arguing.   You put words in my mouth...I called you on it.  Move on.  For the love of God, man.  

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Who's "he?"  Miller or Flint?   Flint was hired for his east cost relationships (which Miller mentioned early on); and also because of some coaches he knows around here.  Drexel's in Missouri, so of course he can recruit around the area.  I never said he couldn't.  What's your point other than to argue?   I never said anything about anyone's ability to recruit Indiana, and in fact have been very complimentary so far.    What is your point??   I'm not ignoring anything.  You're arguing for the sake of arguing.   You put words in my mouth...I called you on it.  Move on.  For the love of God, man.  

Drexel is in Philadelphia...

His point is Bruiser Flint has added value, and not just in relation to recruiting east coast kids. He's putting in successful work locally as well!

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Drexel is in Philadelphia...

His point is Bruiser Flint has added value, and not just in relation to recruiting east coast kids. He's putting in successful work locally as well!

You are correct...and I have no clue where my brain was...I deviated from my point about east coast ties..   Wow...     I know what he's saying, but I never said he wasn't.   I said he was hired for his east coast ties....and he was.  

Man I get sick fall asleep early and miss out on another commit! What the hell! Anyway if this kid is still growing and has an understanding of fundamentals, could be a really good player in time! I know many are not happy or unimpressed with Forrester, but we have a new coach with a new system that the coach knows what works and is something we are not used to. If everything works out and Archie's system/players work out, GREAT! I will withhold judgement until we get to see the final products!

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You are correct...and I have no clue where my brain was...I deviated from my point about east coast ties..   Wow...     I know what he's saying, but I never said he wasn't.   I said he was hired for his east coast ties....and he was.  

You also said he may end up having value. Which seems to imply that he hasn't had value yet. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You also said he may end up having value. Which seems to imply that he hasn't had value yet. 

And to think you got on me earlier about nit picking.   Listen...Brusier Flint is an east coast guy who was hired because of his east coast relationships.  That's a fact.  Miller said so.  Whether or not he has other responsibilities is not something I know.  But I DO know Miller contacted Phinisee very quickly after he was hired and maintained contact.  That's also a fact.   I have no idea if Forrester is any good or not.  I have no idea what real role Flint played in recruiting Anderson.  I have no idea what prior relationships he had with Phinisee or Anderson.   Maybe he'll end up being great for the program.   I have been on record for a long time that I don't think Indiana University needs to recruit the east coast on a consistent basis; but the whole university and the Big Ten (except Izzo) are going that direction, so this is kind of a me problem.  

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

And to think you got on me earlier about nit picking.   Listen...Brusier Flint is an east coast guy who was hired because of his east coast relationships.  That's a fact.  Miller said so.  Whether or not he has other responsibilities is not something I know.  But I DO know Miller contacted Phinisee very quickly after he was hired and maintained contact.  That's also a fact.   I have no idea if Forrester is any good or not.  I have no idea what real role Flint played in recruiting Anderson.  I have no idea what prior relationships he had with Phinisee or Anderson.   Maybe he'll end up being great for the program.   I have been on record for a long time that I don't think Indiana University needs to recruit the east coast on a consistent basis; but the whole university and the Big Ten (except Izzo) are going that direction, so this is kind of a me problem.  

It's hardly nit picking. You claimed a guy who just got us a recruit and a total of 3 recruits didn't have value. 

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It's hardly nit picking. You claimed a guy who just got us a recruit and a total of 3 recruits didn't have value. 

Whatever.   You're more interested in being right than anything else.   I said he may end up having value, but he was hired for his east coast ties.  And he was.  I did not say he had no value.  That's you putting words in my mouth.   You want to be right, I'll let you be right.    What does it matter?   Same group of 3-4 guys.  Every time.  

"You're more interested in being right than anything else."

I think it had more to do with how you entered into this particular recruiting/commitment thread and didn't like how "we had to go out East for the 37th ranked Power Forward (which is ironic considering the discussion on rankings not meaning anything to you). I am sure you won't like anything I just said and I will have to read for a while here in a few. So....

"Same group of 3-4 guys.  Every time." Can I be part of the group that picks on you then??? I am purely just joking, but man lighten up. We got a commit. It may pan out. It may not. Who cares who is more worried about being right or wrong? Is a commitment thread really the best place to come in hard like you did and not expect backlash? I don't totally disagree with you on everything, but I think you are off base here.

The B1G and programs have been pushing east because that's where the population is shifting. There was an article posted on here some time ago that gave the stats.

I would love to have a team full of Midwest players but sometimes you have to get those guys from other places. Forrester will play a role in a winning program.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If Jake is really a legit 6'10 like his dad says, and possibly still growing, then I think he's going to shoot up in the rankings. By the time his senior year is over and he's heading to Bloomington I'll be very surprised if he's ranked outside the top 100. 

If he'd have announced for Duke or pUKe, he'd have become a 5-star and top 50 player overnight.

Yeah, this isn't a reach by any means. He's miles ahead of guys like Maniru, Jurkin, April, etc. 
I think people would be much more excited if we weren't worried about scholarships, me included. This would usually be a great upside pickup if we had an extra scholly to burn. I'm sure it will all work out though.
Maniru was ranked like 95th and was talked up alot. Time will tell on jake

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maniru was all potential and terribly misranked. He didn't have "basketball skill". Jake actually has that. 

The main things Jake needs to work on is handle and going to his left. He isn't clumsy. Solid footwork and balance. A lot of room for growth, but he isn't Hanner Perea by any stretch. Agree with you here.