Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

20 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The overall level of decision making in college ball is atrocious. Glenn Watson Jr. chucks a contested 3 last night with the game tied. TCU, Oregon, Vandy, and a host of others throwing up 3s when they just needed 2s.

A solid team that plays hard and smart can win a ton of games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is honestly the number 1 reason that archie and guys like Bo Ryan have been successful

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't think there's an argument that having a better football program would help. The argument is how much it would help.

Regardless, I'd love to have a respectable football program that
1) goes to a bowl game annually
2) consistently sells out home games
3) a source of pride for IU fans and alums
4) helps provide annual revenue

I love IU and want to see all sports prosper. I'd love to see the consistent sell outs at soccer games, women's basketball games having huge crowds, and all other programs being supported to the upmost. I think the administration and student body could do more to get fans in the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Soccer won't sell out because the stadium is to big. Our attendance for soccer is among the best in the sport each year (top 5-10) and our program by college soccer standards is better supported than 95% of college soccer teams. If we dropped our capacity in half to 3,000 or so like most college soccer stadiums we would fill it fairly regularly (many games draw close to that) but its not reasonable to expect to fill a 6,500 seat stadium except in maybe late in the tourney. We nearly did that in the Elite 8 and had far more people than any of the other 3 games in that round. Soccer is the one sport I think most people our proud of and is as well supported as can reasonably be hoped given where the sport is at. 

Women's basketball needs to get a lot better but even an if we become an elite team Assembly Hall will never be more than a third full. Even the best women's teams average 5-9,000 a game. There is room for growth here.

Volleyball if we ever become decent could fill our soon to be open modest size stadium (heck the one year the team was good in 2010, U-Gym which is fairly small was filled most of the season)

I'll throw in baseball where as soon as we got good 5-10 years ago we are now better supported than any Big Ten team save for Nebraska and attendance is far better than any other team in the conference save for them and among the best of northern teams. Since Bart Kaufman Field is a perfect size stadium (2,500) it nearly sells out fairly regularly on the Friday and Saturday games once the weather is warm. If our soccer stadium were that size we would usually fill it as well.

I absolutely agree that people are down on IU in general and especially football but I think we have prideful base of fans and if we win as we should people will attend games. We need to fix our performance in most sports across the department and than people will start attending just as happened with Baseball where for many years we would draw 200 fans a game. Now we draw over 2,000 since Tracy Smith turned the program around and we've stayed around that since.