Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

22 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Why? TJD and Brunk play well together. The problem is when Smith is in the lineup with those two. That definitely clogs the middle because Smith has no outside game. Hunter primarily plays from 12ft out.

This is what I have noticed as well.  Those three disallow RP from getting to the rim and with no outside shooting the situation compounds.

7 hours ago, Josh said:

That scenario is incredibly problematic.  I'm a trustee within my church.  We get donations from many different people and organizations.   There are almost always conditions attached to the donations.  Sometimes the conditions are so absurd that we refuse the donation entirely.  However, if the money is earmarked for something, it must go there.

I can't imagine somebody so unethical that they lie to the donor and spend it elsewhere.  Not only is that corrupt, but based upon the conditions on the contract, it's unlawful.  If a donor gave a large sum of money with a stipulation and that stipulation wasn't met, I suspect we'd have heard about that by now.

IU is unfortunately not a non-profit organization. So restricted vs. non-restricted funds separation aren’t legally required. Doesn’t mean a big ear-marked donation that didn’t get used for what the donor intended wouldn’t piss off a bunch of people with deep pockets, but IU can do what they want with it once they have it. 

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

IU is a freakin HUGE university with a HUGE alumni base. Like one of the very largest in the country. How is it that a “much smaller” second rate school like UK or UofL can afford these coaches and put together STRONG athletic teams across a broad spectrum and we PHUCKING CANT? It’s that MFer in that big White House on campus! Buck stops there. We all know this $hit damn it!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

You ever hear much about UK or Louisville’s Business school? There’s how. Their continued investment in their athletics programs are the only thing that keeps enrollment up and keeps filling the tuition coffers. 

Without pissing off the people with subscriptions, is anyone willing to share a little bit of Rabbys article about adding more to the 2020 class. References Jucos and Grad Transfers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

“When recruiting fails, go Juco”

That’s the motto of all successful college basketball programs. What a joke.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

55 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

You ever hear much about UK or Louisville’s Business school? There’s how. Their continued investment in their athletics programs are the only thing that keeps enrollment up and keeps filling the tuition coffers. 

Meh. We've seen the academic excuse before but plenty of schools with better academics than IU also have better basketball/football programs. We're mediocre in both. 

23 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

UK and U of L are good academic  schools  UK has a great basketball tradition -RUPP-p[us and U of L CRUM, Unseld etcplus IU tradition is history, the other 2 schools are adding to their Tradition NOW   Hoosiers will likely finish BT with a less than .500 , maybe win 3 of last 8,  NCAA tourney bubble team or close miss/NIT,  Archie gets another year with results likely similar to this year.  Upside if Jackson-Davis )and others)shows strong growth and 2020 class outperforms

1 hour ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

On a basketball message forum, it often gets lost that enrollment has little to do with athletics.  Fact is that IU's enrollment is about 50% higher than UK and is over twice the enrollment of Louisville.  IU also welcomed its largest freshman class in history this past year.

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

“When recruiting fails, go Juco”

That’s the motto of all successful college basketball programs. What a joke.

Correct, continuing to bring in JUCO players is not the path to success...most definitely not a long term sustainable model.

That said, in the days of grad transfers being the norm, it's head scratching that a power conference team can't find someone to fit a spot of need like we had in perimeter shooting.  

IU is unfortunately not a non-profit organization. So restricted vs. non-restricted funds separation aren’t legally required. Doesn’t mean a big ear-marked donation that didn’t get used for what the donor intended wouldn’t piss off a bunch of people with deep pockets, but IU can do what they want with it once they have it. 
That's the thing though. They can spend it in a different manner than what the donor intended I suppose but they would also have to expect to never see another dime from that donor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, BigJoe said:

UK and U of L are good academic  schools  UK has a great basketball tradition -RUPP-p[us and U of L CRUM, Unseld etcplus IU tradition is history, the other 2 schools are adding to their Tradition NOW   Hoosiers will likely finish BT with a less than .500 , maybe win 3 of last 8,  NCAA tourney bubble team or close miss/NIT,  Archie gets another year with results likely similar to this year.  Upside if Jackson-Davis )and others)shows strong growth and 2020 class outperforms

I guess, agree to disagree?? 

There are a few reputable ranking lists of the best academic institutions - Forbes, Princeton Review, Wall Street Journal - I’ll just give you one of the links. Scroll down a ways to get to Kentucky at #323 and Louisville a bit further down at #373.

UL does have bragging rights by a few spots over Taylor University over in Upland, IN though.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/rankings/united-states/2020

14 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

That's the thing though. They can spend it in a different manner than what the donor intended I suppose but they would also have to expect to never see another dime from that donor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I think what 007 is saying, and maybe i'm wrong here. Is that Fred takes the donations and uses them to fund the most needed projects first, and then scrambles to fund (at a later date) what the original donation is intended for. Not unlike a ponzi scheme.

I’m an IU guy through and through. Understand that. I have my degree from IU business school! I think UK IS $HIT! But UofL you sure hear about their Speed School of Engineering though. My point is look at the enrollment population at each of those schools vs IU. SMALL BUT THEY GET IT DONE! Let’s face it. We should but our panties are stuck in our crack! Pi$$es me off to the max!

On a basketball message forum, it often gets lost that enrollment has little to do with athletics.  Fact is that IU's enrollment is about 50% higher than UK and is over twice the enrollment of Louisville.  IU also welcomed its largest freshman class in history this past year.

IU is comprised of the eight regional campuses. Lat time I looked total enrollment was around 109,000 ! For instance, if you graduate from the southeast campus in new Albany your diploma doesn’t say Indiana university Southeast, it says Indiana University. It’s one big @$$ F’in school whereas UofL is maybe 22,000 or less. Look up the figures and IUPUI is BIGGER than UK! Just saying.

9 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

It was written in Crean’s contract that he had to seek gainful employment upon accepting the buyout. I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case in Archie’s. Maybe it isn’t, but that would be bad business. 

Also Young coaches have to stay relevant.  If they stop coaching and just sit with their buyout money they’ll eventually be has beens. 

55 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yeah. Without the room to house them all.  Classic IU. 

24 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I think what 007 is saying, and maybe i'm wrong here. Is that Fred takes the donations and uses them to fund the most needed projects first, and then scrambles to fund (at a later date) what the original donation is intended for. Not unlike a ponzi scheme.

Or he can use the donations like states use the lottery money.  They add it to the b-ball program and then take “other money” from the program and use it elsewhere.