Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Post Game Discussion: Indiana 34 - FIU 13

Defense had a few lapses, but really solid effort and close out. Can't complain when they put up 16 points. 

Lagow definitely missed on a few throws and sometimes didn't get through his progressions like he should have, but still a solid debut. Just take care of the ball and let the running game do the work.

Oakes missed an easy FG, but that happened last year too. He'll be fine.

Solid start to the season. Need to build on it next Saturday at the home opener. 

On the Oakes missed field goal: the broadcast showed CKW and other coaches pulling Ian Thomas aside immediately. I am not sure if he gave up a pressure or missed an assignment that lead to the miss.

Loved what I saw out of the defense! We let up one big rush and one big pass play (not for TDs!), but we made FIU work for every other yard and were tight in the redzone. Got three turnovers as well, that's our formula for success. From a technical standpoint, it was great seeing guys not completely out of position and assignment like we have the past few seasons. Coach Allen looks to have good communication.

On offense: we rushed the ball 52 times. Redding averaged over 6 yards with 22 carries. Team didn't have a run over 20 yards. The offensive line will be solid, but will we have a guy that can break longer runs? Tevin could. Jordan Howard didn't have great speed but he could bull through the second level and get 20-30 yard runs consistently. I like Redding and Majette a lot but here's to hoping Camion Patrick heals quick.

No ways around it, Lagow looked rough in the beginning. Good to see his success on the last two drives, but he's going to need to settle down and set on his throws. Accuracy is not there yet, and he was late on many passes, but he threw some strikes downfield.

He seems to have good chemistry with Nick Westbrook. We need to get Ricky Jones more involved. Getting Cobbs back will help a lot.

A few thoughts..

- Defense recorded 2 TDs and a safety. Only 331 yards and 13 points allowed. GREAT start for this team. I loved the variety of looks we gave them and always seemed to keep them off-balance for most of the night. There were still a handful of plays that will definitely need to be brought to the attention of a few players during the film session, but this was a great confidence builder. Really like how guys like Fant and Scales are becoming "impact" players. Marcelino Ball is going to be a really good player. Also, props to the D-Line. A lot of new guys out there and they held their own.

- Lagow was... okay. But I'm honestly not too worried. His stat line was nearly identical to Sudfeld vs. FIU last season. Threw a couple of dicey passes, but a number of pretty darts as well. Loved seeing him scamper into the end zone in the 4th quarter. I thought he needed that from a confidence standpoint. Just need to continue to work on timing with the rest of the offense and continue to gain chemistry with the receivers. I'm anxious to see how he progresses this year. I think Wilson/Johns will turn him into a good Big Ten QB.

- Very impressed with how much Redding has improved in a year's time. We've got another strong RB this year. Not quite as impressed with the reserves (I felt the O-Line did most of the work for them) but they were solid.

- Depth. You want proof as to how Wilson has built up the program? Depth. We wore them down and took over. This is what will keep us in games and give us a shot against the best teams in our conference this year.

Good points, Tim. Sudfeld had a few slow starts as well in his career, especially with accuracy.

Looking ahead, the Ball State game will probably be more difficult than the Wake Forest game. Wake's offense looked absolutely anemic (178 total yards) versus Tulane's defense (albeit Tulane has a pretty good defense). But Tulane had a ten minute TOP advantage and rushed the ball 47 times. They only had 146 yards and couldn't get into the end zone, but if we get 40+ rushes, imagine what our rushing attack and B1G's best offensive line will do to them?

The Ball State game will be a great test for our secondary. Hopefully we'll have a pretty lit crowd.

Before the season, many of us (myself included) believed that the success of the season greatly depended upon whether we have a quarterback.

We have a quarterback.

I was worried for a while but it seemed like late in the 3rd and all of the 4th that something just clicked for Lagow. I'm guessing it was just first game jitters.

On the Oakes missed field goal: the broadcast showed CKW and other coaches pulling Ian Thomas aside immediately. I am not sure if he gave up a pressure or missed an assignment that lead to the miss.

Loved what I saw out of the defense! We let up one big rush and one big pass play (not for TDs!), but we made FIU work for every other yard and were tight in the redzone. Got three turnovers as well, that's our formula for success. From a technical standpoint, it was great seeing guys not completely out of position and assignment like we have the past few seasons. Coach Allen looks to have good communication.

On offense: we rushed the ball 52 times. Redding averaged over 6 yards with 22 carries. Team didn't have a run over 20 yards. The offensive line will be solid, but will we have a guy that can break longer runs? Tevin could. Jordan Howard didn't have great speed but he could bull through the second level and get 20-30 yard runs consistently. I like Redding and Majette a lot but here's to hoping Camion Patrick heals quick.

No ways around it, Lagow looked rough in the beginning. Good to see his success on the last two drives, but he's going to need to settle down and set on his throws. Accuracy is not there yet, and he was late on many passes, but he threw some strikes downfield.

He seems to have good chemistry with Nick Westbrook. We need to get Ricky Jones more involved. Getting Cobbs back will help a lot.

I mean it's the first game. Don't see long runs every game. But if I recall redding had like Id say 5-15 breaks last year. Against Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, purdue just to name a few. Redding can break open runs consistently. Longest last night was 19 so 1 yard shy. So to your argument. Redding is a break through to the second level.

I mean it's the first game. Don't see long runs every game. But if I recall redding had like Id say 5-15 breaks last year. Against Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, purdue just to name a few. Redding can break open runs consistently. Longest last night was 19 so 1 yard shy. So to your argument. Redding is a break through to the second level.

I can't find the exact statistic, but Redding was in like the top 10 nationally last year when it came to runs over 30-40 yards. And he split time.

Patrick, Majette, and Gest (when he learns to not run into a wall) can break them too.

I really like contrast in running styles that exists between Majette and Redding. 

I was a bit skeptical of Redding coming into the season, hopefully he can consistently churn out performances like last night and the end of last season. 

I'm getting to the point to where I can just assume whatever RB is in the game can dominate. Damn do we know how to find and produce some quality RBs

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm getting to the point to where I can just assume whatever RB is in the game can dominate. Damn do we know how to find and produce some quality RBs

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Deland. McCullough.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well that was a solid start to the season. Glad to just see the team in action finally.

Gest looks like he has some wheels on him. We have a legit running back pipeline happening. Maybe these guys liked the action that Coleman and Howard received from a showcase standpoint.

And LOL and Feeney just bullying that poor sap from FIU

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I really hope coach McCullough stays at IU for a long time. The RB's have been very productive since he got here! And I like Cole Gest; once he learns to wait for the holes to open and adjusts to the speed of the game he will be really good. I like the comparison the announcers made last night; he looks like a mini Christian McCaffrey!