Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUsafety

Cutting the Cord

I'd like to know. Also just decide to try FuboTV. I'm guessing they too will soon be black balled by the network of fairytale princesses

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

There are a lot of layers to pull back here and most of it is political (which we’ve been asked not to get into here). The bottom line is more $$$$ for the ones that already have too much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Here's my problem; I want to just watch sports, because I can get my news from PBS NewsHour and local TV instead of stuff I can't get into.  You know, it's a side effect of getting older and more cynical.

So, let's start hypothetically by exploring the obvious elephant in the room with ESPN.  ESPN offers ESPN+ as a bonus feature where you can watch additional programs, live games, and exclusive stories on their website at $6.99 a month, as of this post.

However, ESPN+ only provides supplementary content and does not provide access to live programming on ESPN channels.  So you would need a subscription to a provider that offers sports to watch ESPN live.  SlingTV typically reigns in as the most affordable option there is, but there are limits.

The "orange" tier for Sling is around $35 a month after the promo period for newcomers, but you can only stream on one device and only has ESPN channels.  What if the Hoosiers are on FS1?  Well, then I would want the "blue" tier, also $35 a month.  The "blue" tier offers multiple streaming options and more channels overall (including TBS & TNT for other sports), but doesn't have ESPN's channels.  Really, the difference between "orange" and "blue" boils down to "Disney Channels" and "Not Disney Channels".

For $50 a month... you can get ALL of those channels offered on both tiers, as well as multiple streaming options.  However, not only does it start reaching cable prices, but we still don't have access to the Big Ten Network; that's part of the "blue" tier's "Sports Extra" add-on for $12 a month, which has no relation to the "orange" tier's "Sports Extra" add-on at $11 a month.  But, you can save money by getting the "Total TV Deal", which throws in all of the bonus channels at only $21 a month, but only the channels of the TV Deal that you accepted between "orange" or "blue" (both would be separate).  This is all ignoring the monthly internet costs that I have to cover.

And at this point, I'm all "I just wanna watch the ******* Hoosiers!  Why can't there just be an a la carte feature and have these channels fight to the death for my money?"

Edited by IUFootballEndlessMisery

A corollary to that is that I have often said for all of the commercials I have to watch, regardless of the platform, they should be paying me to watch or at least bidding for my veiwership.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, cthomas said:

A corollary to that is that I have often said for all of the commercials I have to watch, regardless of the platform, they should be paying me to watch or at least bidding for my veiwership.

This is why I DVR virtually everything I want to watch so I can skip all the commercials. The programming will never be free again, but sooner or later someone is going to break the mold and allow everyone to buy the programming "ala carte". Some may only have 3-5 channels where others will want 35-50 or more, and all of assortments will be unique.

Not sure I'll still be alive when it happens, but I think it's coming.

Now that the NFL season is over and Directv has lost rights to Sunday Ticket, I'll need to switch to YouTube TV to watch the Colts here. I'm not excited about this, I wish all of these add ons and streaming would get off my lawn. Directv is expensive, but I never have to worry about losing channels in disputes or buffering. Now I'm being forced to live in a kid's world full of change. Yuck.

I assume I can get Big Ten network, FS1, espns, etc on YouTube TV?  Does anybody here get a lead fee if I use your info to sign up?

27 minutes ago, Josh said:

Now that the NFL season is over and Directv has lost rights to Sunday Ticket, I'll need to switch to YouTube TV to watch the Colts here. I'm not excited about this, I wish all of these add ons and streaming would get off my lawn. Directv is expensive, but I never have to worry about losing channels in disputes or buffering. Now I'm being forced to live in a kid's world full of change. Yuck.

I assume I can get Big Ten network, FS1, espns, etc on YouTube TV?  Does anybody here get a lead fee if I use your info to sign up?

I was a long time DIRECTV subscriber myself. Made the switch to YouTube TV about a year ago and pretty soon after I was mad I hadn’t done it sooner. We love it. They usually offer a pretty discounted price for the first couple months. And yes you get all of those sports channels. Biggest advantage for sports is it just records the whole event no matter how long it takes. You don’t have to worry about adding the right amount of extension time like DIRECTV. Internet speed is key though. I have gig speed through AT&T and can’t remember a time ever I’ve had buffering issues. Oh, and internet doesn’t go out just b/c there is a bad storm like a satellite signal does. 

9 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I was a long time DIRECTV subscriber myself. Made the switch to YouTube TV about a year ago and pretty soon after I was mad I hadn’t done it sooner. We love it. They usually offer a pretty discounted price for the first couple months. And yes you get all of those sports channels. Biggest advantage for sports is it just records the whole event no matter how long it takes. You don’t have to worry about adding the right amount of extension time like DIRECTV. Internet speed is key though. I have gig speed through AT&T and can’t remember a time ever I’ve had buffering issues. Oh, and internet doesn’t go out just b/c there is a bad storm like a satellite signal does. 

I have 3 newer tvs but my kitchen tv is about 15 years old.  Will it work on that?  I have no idea where the TV remote is for that one, I've been using directv remotes

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

I have 3 newer tvs but my kitchen tv is about 15 years old.  Will it work on that?  I have no idea where the TV remote is for that one, I've been using directv remotes

Do you have any streaming device like a Roku or Apple TV? You’ll likely need something like that for the older tv. A Roku stick is pretty cheap.

Yeah I'd probably get some fire sticks or rokus. Smart TV's often times lack the processors to keep up with the demand. Not all but that has been my experience. Also screw satellite anything. You'll be happy switching as long as you can get good internet speeds.

7 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Do you have any streaming device like a Roku or Apple TV? You’ll likely need something like that for the older tv. A Roku stick is pretty cheap.

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Yeah I'd probably get some fire sticks or rokus. Smart TV's often times lack the processors to keep up with the demand. Not all but that has been my experience. Also screw satellite anything. You'll be happy switching as long as you can 

Yeah...I don't know what either of those things are.  I guess I better research stuff.  Stupid Sunday Ticket.

Is 500 mbs fast enough internet?

Yeah...I don't know what either of those things are.  I guess I better research stuff.  Stupid Sunday Ticket.
Generally yes. If it's cable internet you could still see some throttling that may cause a bit of buffering here or there depending on how many devices in your house are using the wifi. 500 mbps should never really be an issue. I have 1 GB and we have probably 8 different things (4 tvs) rolling at a time and have no problems. As mentioned before as a sports fan you'll love not having to care about OT anymore. Also resume function is pretty awesome too.

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Should be plenty. I can stream 3-4 devices no problem at around 300. 

Definitely agree with rcs29 on streaming sticks. Get you one of those for each TV. Roku or Fire Sticks can be had for $15-$20 apiece. 

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Should be plenty. I can stream 3-4 devices no problem at around 300. 

Definitely agree with rcs29 on streaming sticks. Get you one of those for each TV. Roku or Fire Sticks can be had for $15-$20 apiece. 

Do I need a streaming stick on brand new tvs?  $1000 sansung?

Just now, Josh said:

Do I need a streaming stick on brand new tvs?  $1000 sansung?

Technically no, but in my experience the Smart TV menus are really slow and clunky compared to streaming stick menus. Just personal preference.

The only one you’ll likely require a stick for is that caveman tablet in your kitchen. 

31 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Technically no, but in my experience the Smart TV menus are really slow and clunky compared to streaming stick menus. Just personal preference.

The only one you’ll likely require a stick for is that caveman tablet in your kitchen. 

This TV has no USB, only rca plugs.  I hate new things.

Just now, Josh said:

This TV has no USB, only rca plugs.  I hate new things.

I’m pretty sure those sticks plug into HDMI ports, not USB. If that TV only has AV/component ports, you’ll need a new kitchen TV unless there’s some sort of adapter out there. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

I’m pretty sure those sticks plug into HDMI ports, not USB. If that TV only has AV/component ports, you’ll need a new kitchen TV unless there’s some sort of adapter out there. 

HDMI wasn't even an acronym when this TV was built.  Dammit.