Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Indiana vs Rutgers Game Thread

I mean..... saying Cameron is a far better thrower doesn't really mean much of anything, Zander still can't really throw the ball consistently at a FBS level. Also, if anything last year showed how important Sudfeld is to the offense, Coleman (who is considerably better than Howard) couldn't lift the team to anything last year. You're making the argument for defense, but outside of the Wake, whose offense is just awful, game and parts of the Ohio State game there is nothing that says our defense has taken the step that we can win without Sudfeld. 

I'm not saying Howard isn't a good running back, but just looking at the numbers doesn't even come close to doing service to what Coleman did last season. Howard has had a competent QB the whole time, played against nothing but awful defenses, and had an offensive line that is just one year more mature than Coleman's. Not to even really get into the whole eye test stuff, there isn't really an argument to be made that Howard has anywhere near the explosiveness that Coleman has/d

Howard is very different than Coleman, and he's not as explosive.  But, he's more powerful and moves the pile better than Coleman.  Like I said, they're different.  Howard was the #6 RB in the country last season and was #2 in the country when he got hurt, so he's not THAT far off and I think many under-value him.  Guy's averaging 6 yards per carry and had 709 yards in basically 4 games; plus he's averaging 10 yards per reception.  And, he's averaging 7 yards per carry when we're pinned back inside our own 10 yard line.  That's stout.

Coleman is and was far more explosive, but Indiana's running game is far better when Howard's in the game, and we're a very different team without him.  Because of the way we play, I think he's equally important to Sudfeld.   I hope both can go today.

When it comes to importance, it's sudfeld over Howard and it's not really close. Howard wouldn't be getting those numbers with Zander or Cameron at qb, and while he didn't play much against OSU, the times he did run weren't very impressive. Don't get me wrong, I love Howard, but without suds we're not even close to a bowl team.

Howard is very different than Coleman, and he's not as explosive.  But, he's more powerful and moves the pile better than Coleman.  Like I said, they're different.  Howard was the #6 RB in the country last season and was #2 in the country when he got hurt, so he's not THAT far off and I think many under-value him.  Guy's averaging 6 yards per carry and had 709 yards in basically 4 games; plus he's averaging 10 yards per reception.  And, he's averaging 7 yards per carry when we're pinned back inside our own 10 yard line.  That's stout.

Coleman is and was far more explosive, but Indiana's running game is far better when Howard's in the game, and we're a very different team without him.  Because of the way we play, I think he's equally important to Sudfeld.   I hope both can go today.

Well yeah, Howard>>>>>Redding. 

I guess I'm probably just biased towards Coleman because even when he was a freshman I wanted him playing a lot, especially over Stephen Houston and that team wasn't ever going anywhere. 

The argument you make for the team being very different without Howard, I don't think I get why you don't apply the same philosophy to Sudfeld. No team in the country is scared of Cameron, or Diamont, or Covington. We saw that last year when teams could stack the box with 9 guys once Sudfeld went down. And Cameron looked to be better mechanically than Diamont..... but again that doesn't really mean much of anything. 

But yeah, obviously hope both can go.