Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FindEndNow

Historic turn around for defense?

Agree. They need to keep their man in front of them, and I believe we will improve somewhat on the perimeter. We definitely need to stop switching defenses in the middle of possessions, that could help us get more stops.

that would help. But you know for a fact Crean isn't going to change. Because he actually thinks it works. Guess he doesn't watch film...

that would help. But you know for a fact Crean isn't going to change. Because he actually thinks it works. Guess he doesn't watch film...

If CTC wants to survive as the head coach of Indiana University's basketball program, he is going to have to change some things and I hope he realizes that. Time will tell.........

If CTC wants to survive as the head coach of Indiana University's basketball program, he is going to have to change some things and I hope he realizes that. Time will tell.........

I'm going to say that he may be fired even if he finishes Top 5 and gets to the 2nd round of the tourney. I would be ok with that. Go out just like Mike Davis.

What are we talking about as "defense"? Defensive PPG? FG %?

those plus a plethora of other measures such as deflections, defensive efficiency, rebound rate, etc.

Thanks.

Where's the list that show's the overall rank, kenpom?

People talk about ranking. I'm wondering if we're all on the same page and where the list is.

I think we can with a competent big man in TB. James also knows that he has to get better on the defensive end to make it in the NBA, so I hope he puts in the effort to get better. I think it's possible if everyone buys in and wants to get better.

. We would need to have a turnaround that has not happened in the history of keeping defensive efficiency rankings. Adding Thon Maker to our frontcourt would go a long way for helping us achieve this but most experts have him going to ASU.

. We would need to have a turnaround that has not happened in the history of keeping defensive efficiency rankings. Adding Thon Maker to our frontcourt would go a long way for helping us achieve this but most experts have him going to ASU.

I don't see Maker being much help at all this coming season.  Freshmen have a big enough adjustment to make.  Missing the entire first half of the season, to me means that this year would just be glorified practice.  If he is around the 2nd year, then I think he would be a big help.

I don't see Maker being much help at all this coming season. Freshmen have a big enough adjustment to make. Missing the entire first half of the season, to me means that this year would just be glorified practice. If he is around the 2nd year, then I think he would be a big help.

I kinda agree with you because I know Thon isn't as smooth as his mixtapes.

However, Carmelo Anthony, Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Kevin Durant and 100 or so other Freshman disagree about how big of an impact Freshman can be.

Ps-maybe we need to recruit more "Anthony's". My off the cuff list is heavy Anthony. Haha.

Except that doesn't help our perimeter defense. If I were Bryant I would have been questioning Crean about the defense because it can put Bryant in such terrible situations. I felt bad for Hanner because he had no help from the perimeter guys.

I disagree... Having a competent big guy down low dramatically helps the perimeter defense. If you have that down low it cuts off an option.... the perimeter defense can focus on stopping the jump shots, or playing very tight defense without worrying that if his man dribbles past him it is an easy bucket...

Last year the perimeter defense had to stay a step back to ensure no drive to the bucket and could easily get caught by a screen, or killed by jump shots.

I agree with DJ, the competent defensive big man will have a much larger impact on overall defense than some are assuming.

I think my above points along with an offseason where the guys really put some focus on their defensive ability as well as in the weight room getting stronger so they can not be pushed around and our defense EASILY jumps into the top 100.... with the way we play we are not going to be a #1 defense or even close but if we get to 100 or even 120 range we will be tough to beat (assuming the offense stays as it was or improves)

I agree. Our offense was on par with Notre Dame this year (and it could be better) who had the 165th defense and almost made a final 4. They were up from 260 in '13- '14 when we were 39.

Thanks.

Where's the list that show's the overall rank, kenpom?

People talk about ranking. I'm wondering if we're all on the same page and where the list is.

Kenpom seems to be the general go to for our defensive numbers. Or at least that is where the 240 rank comes from

I disagree... Having a competent big guy down low dramatically helps the perimeter defense. If you have that down low it cuts off an option.... the perimeter defense can focus on stopping the jump shots, or playing very tight defense without worrying that if his man dribbles past him it is an easy bucket...
Last year the perimeter defense had to stay a step back to ensure no drive to the bucket and could easily get caught by a screen, or killed by jump shots.

I agree with DJ, the competent defensive big man will have a much larger impact on overall defense than some are assuming.

I think my above points along with an offseason where the guys really put some focus on their defensive ability as well as in the weight room getting stronger so they can not be pushed around and our defense EASILY jumps into the top 100.... with the way we play we are not going to be a #1 defense or even close but if we get to 100 or even 120 range we will be tough to beat (assuming the offense stays as it was or improves)

Our defense had to stay a step back? Our perimeter defense just stayed out of the way. It was a joke. We could have had Dikembe in the paint and our perimeter defense would have sucked. It wasn't a matter of how they played defense last year, it was that they didn't play defense.

Two years ago (the year Vonleh was here) we were a top 50 defensive team according to Pomeroy. That team with Vonleh was WAY less talented than last year's team. The difference? A defensive minded big man to clog the middle. Of course our wings weren't good defensively last year but adding a big man as a second line REALLY helps. It's like having a good secondary in football. You could have the best or worst D line but if you have a good secondary it makes a big difference, and vice versa.

If it's just a guard issue, then it'd only be because we lost Evan Gordon, or did Vonleh and Sheehey (and Howard) come into play a little also?

Of course we could have played Stan more, but I don't remember people clamoring for that.

I think we have all forgot what the real issue is. You can coach a defensive set that will overcome any athletic deficiency. Think back......Remember, we had NO sets. We would try a thousand defensive sets in one posession. If we stick with one or two defensive sets and coach until they perform until they can do the sets in their sleep, we will be a top 100 defense

With all the talent we have---plus experience---plus the big guy in the middle---I EXPECT us to be a top 15 offense and a top 100 defense. I am a Crean fan---but for me there will be no excuse for the team not to perform to these levels. This is a make or break year and Coach and the team has to get it done.

I with you there Rebel. Top 10 offense and 90-120 defense. I think we'd have a chance to make a little noise.

As far as sweet 16 goes, offense was a better indicator this past season than defense but, 1, 63, 68, 84 made up the final 4 defensively.

For the record 1,3,11 and 38 made it offensively.