Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUHoosier5

Is Banner 6 a realistic possibility?

Having an 18 year old body against a 22 year old Big Ten POY candidate does not necessarily mean "totally different story."   Especially in a rivalry game when said 22 year old is from Carmel and understands the rivalry, and the 18 year old kid is from New York.    I'm glad to have Bryant, don't get me wrong...but I think a lot of people are expecting him to fix all that ails IU, and he won't.

It's not necessarily where they're from.  Does Hammons even care where he is from half the time?  It's about having enough pride that you won't get beat because of effort and you won't let your teammates down.  That's the mental edge this team needs the most.  I don't want to see a high five after a made basket when the trip before your man just beat you off the dribble or embarrassed you.  I'm hoping more than anything else that Bryant isn't afraid to push his teammates.  That will fix a lot of ails.  This team is too talented and too skilled to play that poor of defense. 

It's not necessarily where they're from.  Does Hammons even care where he is from half the time?  It's about having enough pride that you won't get beat because of effort and you won't let your teammates down.  That's the mental edge this team needs the most.  I don't want to see a high five after a made basket when the trip before your man just beat you off the dribble or embarrassed you.  I'm hoping more than anything else that Bryant isn't afraid to push his teammates.  That will fix a lot of ails.  This team is too talented and too skilled to play that poor of defense. 

I remember when I first came down to IU for my freshman year and went down to HPER for some pick-up games. I got my rear end handed to me the first time I went down there. I wasn't the most polished offensive player, but I decided then and there that if I wasn't going to score much for my team, there was no chance I was going to let the guy I was guarding get even a bucket. I brought defense and rebounding and I took it personally when someone scored on me. I hope we have that type of mentality next year.

Having an 18 year old body against a 22 year old Big Ten POY candidate does not necessarily mean "totally different story."   Especially in a rivalry game when said 22 year old is from Carmel and understands the rivalry, and the 18 year old kid is from New York.    I'm glad to have Bryant, don't get me wrong...but I think a lot of people are expecting him to fix all that ails IU, and he won't.

Thomas Bryant is 18 years old but his body is in MUCH better shape than Hammons. What worries me is what will we do if Hammons and Haas are on the court at the same time.

A big who can defend the paint is far from the only thing Indiana needed to fix.  We were 20-14 last season, and finished 9-9 in the Big Ten.  Anyone who thinks an 18 year old kid is going to take that team and make it a national title contender with this offense and this perimeter defense needs to step back and take off the crimson glasses.    8 Bucks said it...other teams will get better, too.  Purdue, for example, will be better.  Ohio State will be better.  Michigan will be better.  Illinois will be better.  Maryland will be better.   Indiana is a long way from "national title contender."  

A big who can defend the paint is far from the only thing Indiana needed to fix. We were 20-14 last season, and finished 9-9 in the Big Ten. Anyone who thinks an 18 year old kid is going to take that team and make it a national title contender with this offense and this perimeter defense needs to step back and take off the crimson glasses. 8 Bucks said it...other teams will get better, too. Purdue, for example, will be better. Ohio State will be better. Michigan will be better. Illinois will be better. Maryland will be better. Indiana is a long way from "national title contender."

maybe a long way from national title contender in your opinion but maybe closer to contending in other people's opinion

A big who can defend the paint is far from the only thing Indiana needed to fix.  We were 20-14 last season, and finished 9-9 in the Big Ten.  Anyone who thinks an 18 year old kid is going to take that team and make it a national title contender with this offense and this perimeter defense needs to step back and take off the crimson glasses.    8 Bucks said it...other teams will get better, too.  Purdue, for example, will be better.  Ohio State will be better.  Michigan will be better.  Illinois will be better.  Maryland will be better.   Indiana is a long way from "national title contender."

Purdue doesn't have a PG. Point is valid though.

bleacher report did an article in 2013 about the blueprint of an ncaa champion. Really interesting article defiantly worth reading. I would provide a link but I don't know how, if someone else would provide it. Thank you

That article doesn't refute my point that you need more like a top 15 defense to win a national title.  Here are the defensive efficiency rankings from that article for the last 10 champions (at the time):

As you can see only one ranked outside of the top 15, as a matter of fact of those 10 only 3 total ranked outside of the top 10.  The team that won that season ranked in the top 10.  If anything that article shows you need more like a top 10 defense or even top 5.

The next two champions?  10 and 12.  So in 13 years of data only 4 champions had a defensive efficiency outside of the top 10 and a lonely 1 outside the top 15.  Now admittedly the first 10 data points are of the time of that article and the last two are after the season ended.  The point remains even if we did improve to top 50 in defensive efficiency (and I highly doubt we improve that much), the stats say that's not good enough to hang banner 6; actually it wouldn't just be an aberration, it'd be an aberration of an aberration.

That article doesn't refute my point that you need more like a top 15 defense to win a national title. Here are the defensive efficiency rankings from that article for the last 10 champions (at the time):

As you can see only one ranked outside of the top 15, as a matter of fact of those 10 only 3 total ranked outside of the top 10. The team that won that season ranked in the top 10. If anything that article shows you need more like a top 10 defense or even top 5.

The next two champions? 10 and 12. So in 13 years of data only 4 champions had a defensive efficiency outside of the top 10 and a lonely 1 outside the top 15. Now admittedly the first 10 data points are of the time of that article and the last two are after the season ended. The point remains even if we did improve to top 50 in defensive efficiency (and I highly doubt we improve that much), the stats say that's not good enough to hang banner 6; actually it wouldn't just be an aberration, it'd be an aberration of an aberration.

never said it did. Just thought it was a good article

A big who can defend the paint is far from the only thing Indiana needed to fix. We were 20-14 last season, and finished 9-9 in the Big Ten. Anyone who thinks an 18 year old kid is going to take that team and make it a national title contender with this offense and this perimeter defense needs to step back and take off the crimson glasses. 8 Bucks said it...other teams will get better, too. Purdue, for example, will be better. Ohio State will be better. Michigan will be better. Illinois will be better. Maryland will be better. Indiana is a long way from "national title contender."

F*** Purdue! I don't care who they they do or what they do.

It was a good article. Justshows though that we'll need an astronomical leap on the defensive end to hang #6.

i agree the defense needs a big impovement.    In my opinion any team that makes it to an elite 8 has a legitimate chance of winning the championship.  If our defense dosen't make it to a top 15 defense maybe we can make a run like the following teams did that didn't have a top 15 defense.   

2013- duke (31) elite 8 (30-6)

michigan (48) final game (31-8)

marquette (46) elite 8 (26-9)

2014- wisconsin (49) final 4 (30-8)

mich st (28)  elite 8 (29-9)

michigan (109) elite 8 (28-9)

kentucky (41) final game (29-11)

dayton (71) elite 8 (26-11)

2015-wisconsin (54) final game (36-4)

gonzaga (30) elite 8 (35-3)

notre dame (102) elite 8 (32-6)

mich st (47) final 4 (27-12)

Really? Who gives a rats ass about whats said in a weight room?

Just be thankful we dont have players that say "F**K that n**ga" during a press conference that the entire nation is watching.

I care. Kids watch that stuff I mean it's not huge deal and was kind of being funny about it. I'll take your advice though. Hahaha.