Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

B/R: The Legend of Damon Bailey

I was just rattling off names as examples, the point is I wish we were developing a former player or two on the bench. One thing I've always loved about Coach K.

Just as an example, but I think it would be great if we had Fife and Calbert on the staff, or Michael Lewis and another former player in the coaching ranks. Again, just using them as examples for the point, I know the Calbert ship sailed and Fife isn't leaving MSU for a lateral move m

That would still leave room for a Buckley or Martin as a lead assistant. I'm not suggesting Crean should fire someone now to do that, just saying I would like to see that happen when there are opens and suitable candidates from the former player pool.

Damon was interviewed for the IUWBB head coaching job but said he wasn't interested. He coaches his daughter at Butler. Fife was offered a job by Crean several years ago but turned it down. Greg Graham is a high school coach...

I was just rattling off names as examples, the point is I wish we were developing a former player or two on the bench. One thing I've always loved about Coach K.

Just as an example, but I think it would be great if we had Fife and Calbert on the staff, or Michael Lewis and another former player in the coaching ranks. Again, just using them as examples for the point, I know the Calbert ship sailed and Fife isn't leaving MSU for a lateral move m

That would still leave room for a Buckley or Martin as a lead assistant. I'm not suggesting Crean should fire someone now to do that, just saying I would like to see that happen when there are opens and suitable candidates from the former player pool.

That's what I'd like to see.  It'd also be something to pitch to recruits, "when you're playing days are done, if you want to get into coaching we'll take care of you".

Can someone tell me when and what happened injury wise to Damon? I saw that he had 7 knee surgeries.

I knew his knees were shot by the time he was a pro but I didn't realize it was that bad.  I remember hearing if it wasn't for his knees he could've been one of those players that build a career by outworking everyone.

If anyone has read My Story by RMK, in it he said if anyone calls Bailey overrated their judgement is overrated.

If you haven't, I'd suggest it.  An enjoyable read.  I've also got Season on the Brink that I picked up at a yard sale for a dollar but haven't even cracked it open.

I was at the game vs UK in 93 at the Hoosier Dome. UK fans were so arrogant coming in #1. IU fans were kinda subdued. Then IU jumps out to like a 9-2 lead and our fan base came alive. It was on. Damon knew what the UK rivalry meant to us fans. Nothing like leaving the Dome with all the UK fans with their tail between their legs after that beating.

I always liked when Damon would do his Barnstorming tours after the IU seasons were over.  So a couple of those before he gave it up.

The saddest thing I remember was back in the late 90's or early 2000's I saw a guy sitting by himself at a table in Glenbrook Mall in Ft. Wayne.  There was absolutely nobody around him.  My cousin and I walked over to see who it was and it was Damon, signing autographs.  He couldn't have been more gracious to us for coming over and chatting with him.

I don't think Fife or Lewis would leave their current job to take the same exact job at IU. Fife was offered an assistant spot and declined it. If and of them were to come here, they would have to be the lead assistant.

I was at the game vs UK in 93 at the Hoosier Dome. UK fans were so arrogant coming in #1. IU fans were kinda subdued. Then IU jumps out to like a 9-2 lead and our fan base came alive. It was on. Damon knew what the UK rivalry meant to us fans. Nothing like leaving the Dome with all the UK fans with their tail between their legs after that beating.

Was that this game?

damon-bailey-sports-illustrated.jpg

And did he have like 30 that game?

Again, I'm just using names as examples. I thought I made that pretty clear, no?

The point is I wish the program had more focus on developing former players that are in the business.

I don't think Fife or Lewis would leave their current job to take the same exact job at IU. Fife was offered an assistant spot and declined it. If and of them were to come here, they would have to be the lead assistant.

Sort of off topic, but since we're discussing the Bailey era, does anyone remember why Eric Montross didn't go to IU? I always though the two things that kept that era IU teams from winning a title were the Henderson injury and not landing Montross. You add Montross to Chaeney, Bailey, Graham, Henderson, Anderson, etc. and that team wins a title or two IMO.

Can't remember why he didn't end up at IU?

Were Montross's parents opposed to having their son play for Knight? I don't remember exactly. There were some parents who were very uncomfortable with Knight's personality.

Edit: I do remember there was some discussion that Montross didn't want to play in the shadow of Damon, who had been an Indiana legend since he was in middle school.

Were Montross's parents opposed to having their son play for Knight? I don't remember exactly. There were some parents who were very uncomfortable with Knight's personality.

Edit: I do remember there was some discussion that Montross didn't want to play in the shadow of Damon, who had been an Indiana legend since he was in middle school.

I think you hit the nail on the head with both reasons

To me, Damon Bailey was the epitome of a Hoosier. He was driven to excellence, and played with his IU heart on his sleeve. He had such a mad jump shot, and such a winning, can do attitude. It was just so infectious to his teammates. 

It makes it all the more difficult to watch our current squad play, with only a fragment of the heart, desire, and commitment to excellence in all facets of the game, and to IU's legend, that Damon had. That is not living in the past, but it is realizing how much we've lost through the years, due to poor decisions and a loss of commitment to the basketball program at the Admin level.

Seeming lost too, is a commitment at the high school level to properly coach and develop well rounded kids like Damon. Too many kids come out with god awful games, long on athleticism, and well short on fundamentals.

I temember Damon with great fondness and a huge competitor. I sent the article to my daughter, thinking she would enjoy it. Her responsd, was, I remember watching Damon when we were at the state free throw championships, she was 11. We were in the hotel watching him play.

I believe Damonsaid something along the lines of, "some of these guys say they were upset at times but I'm not gonna lie, I was flat out pissed off at times!"during his graduation speech if I recall correctly, did he not? He was really fun to watch play. Ohio State his freshman year I believe? Went off! Tough in the head kid...in a good way!

Scored 30 or 32, I think. IU was 4th and O$U 3rd or something like that

To me, Damon Bailey was the epitome of a Hoosier. He was driven to excellence, and played with his IU heart on his sleeve. He had such a mad jump shot, and such a winning, can do attitude. It was just so infectious to his teammates. 

It makes it all the more difficult to watch our current squad play, with only a fragment of the heart, desire, and commitment to excellence in all facets of the game, and to IU's legend, that Damon had. That is not living in the past, but it is realizing how much we've lost through the years, due to poor decisions and a loss of commitment to the basketball program at the Admin level.

Seeming lost too, is a commitment at the high school level to properly coach and develop well rounded kids like Damon. Too many kids come out with god awful games, long on athleticism, and well short on fundamentals.

^This